News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R9/W09: 04-10-1994 Alumni Arena, Amherst, NY

Started by susep, March 07, 2010, 11:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

This is the infamous show where during sound check Trey accidentally stepped into a hole, thus injuring his foot/ankle where he subsequently played the whole show on a wooden stool.  Serious shredage ensued.

QuotePHISH 4-10-94
ALUMNI ARENA, AMHERST, NY

=========================================================|

SOURCE: 2 AKG460b/ck61 Front row of tapers section,
with mics split 20-25ft aimed directly at repeaters
from close range (3-5ft) > DAT (Teac DA-P20)

CONVERSION: CTD8000H-S > DAT2WAV > SOUNDFORGE 5.0
(Resampling from 48kHz to 44.1kHz, level 4 w/anti
alias filtering) > CD WAVE (track splits) > SHN

DISC 1:

SET 1:
01. RUNAWAY JIM
02. IT'S ICE
03. SPARKLE >
04. SPLIT OPEN AND MELT
05. ESTHER
06. CHALK DUST TORTURE
07. I DIDN'T KNOW
08. SCENT OF A MULE
09. DOWN WITH DISEASE

DISC 2:

SET 2:
01. MY FRIEND, MY FRIEND >
02. RIGHT BACK INSIDE MY HEART JAM *
03. YA MAR
04. RUN LIKE AN ANTELOPE
05. FLUFFHEAD
06. GINSENG SULLIVAN
07. I WANNA BE LIKE YOU
08. HYHU

DISC 3:

01. HARRY HOOD
ENCORE:
02. BOUNCING AROUND THE ROOM
03. GOLGI APPARATUS

* Song by Julie Cruise. Trey sang a few lines and stopped.

Trey broke his ancle during the soundcheck when he fell
into a hole in the stage floor. He played the show in a
temporary cast, sitting through most of the performance.

Seeded 4/01 by Robert Brown

lossy:

set 1 mp3:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0ckmaq

set 2 + E mp3:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/1unzvh

lossless:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=532458 

Enjoy!

Submitted Reviews:

01 - August
02 - JustJezmund
03 - Khalpin
04 - RJ
05 - Caravan
06 - Pnchundi
07 - Superfreakie
08 - MBW
09 - Susep
10 - EMay

mbw

gainesvillegreen

Ha, been seeing this one coming for months!  :wink:
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

susep

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on March 07, 2010, 11:34:12 PM
Ha, been seeing this one coming for months!  :wink:

yeah I was going to mention your affinity for the Hood in my intro.   :-D

susep

Quote from: caravan2001 on February 10, 2010, 08:38:52 PM
I knew this was a good show, but I never imagined it would generate THIS much awesome discussion!  :roll:

rowjimmy

rowjimmy

Set One -

Jim - Nice opener. Trey is holding some of these notes to great lengths

It's Ice - cool (get it?)

Sparkle > Split - I was sitting right here and it left zero impression. Have I turned to stone or is it ordinary? You decide. (hint: I can still move and hear stuff.)

Esther - pretty tune with scary words

CDT - ok

IDK - you weren't really that far gone. You just had the binoculars backwards

Mule - text bookish ver. based on show-club appearances, this must be the most-played song. Right?

DWD - Classic style version with the backing vox on the reprise and all that. Trey is really going for it. Not overlong or overawesome.

Set two has some tasty stuff, right?

Right?

susep

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 12, 2010, 03:35:30 PM

Sparkle > Split - I was sitting right here and it left zero impression. Have I turned to stone or is it ordinary? You decide. (hint: I can still move and hear stuff.)

if you weren't impressed w/ the Melt then I'd have to say smoke a big bowl of your dankest nugs and report back.

rowjimmy

Quote from: susep73 on March 12, 2010, 03:41:57 PM

if you weren't impressed w/ the Melt then I'd have to say smoke a big bowl of your dankest nugs and report back.

I'll double check it before I report on Set two.

khalpin

Runaway Jim: You can sense Trey being somewhat tentative here, but he warms up pretty quickly. 

Ice: And right into the good stuff.  Great breakdown section.  Nice, tight Ice.

Sparkle: Out of the way early.  Trey actually tears this one up.

Split Open and Melt: Nice. Right at 5:30 this sucker takes off. First it's Fishman on the open hi-hat. Then Mike changes keys on a whim, creating a new progression. Then Fishman to the ride. Then things just get sick and all sorts of intense. Totally loving this. Reminds me a lot of the 4/25/94 a few weeks later. Ends before it gets too out there. Great version.

Esther: With secret language signals. Trey shows a little rust early in the middle section but it's pretty solid otherwise.

Chalkdust: A bit of straight up rock.

I Didn't Know: no notes

Scent of a Mule: Fresh off of Hoist. Slow version. Just a quick Page solo before the Russian jam. Mike sounds great during this by the way.

DwD: Also a slow version fresh off Hoist. Pretty straight-forward. Nice close to the set.

My Friend, My Friend: Love the acoustic version set opener. Kick things off with some heat. > some song I've never heard before.

YaMar: Wait...is this 11/27/96? Mike sounds real crisp on this recording. Great to be able to really hear what he brings to the table. The quiet down/get louder section is tons of fun on this one.

Antelope: Another early set Antelope. Seems like it's going to go into Type 2 land ~4:30, but they stay on course. Then a few minutes later they start to expiriment. Gets a little crazy and then back to the Antelope jam. Trey's on fire! Nice Antelope.

Fluffhead: Damn, this setlist is tasty! A couple minor flubs along the way but pretty damn solid nonetheless.

Ginseng Sullivan: Washboard solo!

I Wanna Be Like You: Got my vote in the Favorite Fishman Tune poll!!!

Harry Hood: Love the little piano interlude in the opening.  Then Trey mimics it on guitar.  Real nice.  This jam develops beautifully.  They really do a great job as a whole building the intensity.  This one packs a punch.  Nice Hood.

Bouncing: As the opening notes fill the arena, the entire crowd collectively thinks, "This better not be a one song encore"

Golgi: To close it out.

First time hearing this one and I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Highlights being the Melt, Antelope and Hood.  Nice to hear IWBLY again, too.  I haven't listened to many of the early '94 shows, so it was interesting to hear early versions of the Hoist tunes.  I'm curious about Trey's mental state during the show compared to others.  Was he hopped up on painkillers whereas he'd otherwise be stoned?  Maybe both?  Does it even matter?  Just a couple random thoughts I was thinking about while listening to the show.  In any event....nice pick.  I enjoyed that one.

pnchundi

run jim- very energetic.  trey has great use of the sustain pedal, and hits those notes that straddle the piercing hurts to listen to/so good you keep turning up the volume line
its ice- great combo. page steals the show early, great interplay between all four. 
sparkle- its 94 so they have to play sparkle.  solid version
melt- The early sections are rock solid.  Band excels at tension release, with Trey doing some face melting shit
esther- i like this song and this is a good one
chalkdust- straight rock up and roll
I didnt know- i like it
scent- not quite as intense as the one from a few weeks back, but this gets out there.
dwd- ragin!

my friend- i had forgotten the old acoustic intro.  gets really dark and intens.  I dont know what song trey is singing, but smooth transition
yamar- 180 spin but very danceable.  And actually a good yamar
antelope- rages! actually gets out there with the band taking chances and then exploding at the end
fluffhead- sure got some powerful pills (for treys ankle, the start of all the problems?)  Great fluffhead, pretty solid with very few mistakes.  They seem excited and play well
gingseng- brings back the lightness of yamar
i wanna be like you- is the best fishman tune? He is totally into it, his singing is good, he knows all the words, and the other three are spot on too
HYHU- :)
hood- killer placement! Ive been wanting to hear a 94 hood for awhile and this delivers.  Floats along this beautiful cloud before bursting into rainbows and unicorns

bouncin/golgi-  once again i saw you

Great first set.  Jim/Ice combo is great and trey rages from the first note.  The split is heavy, and Mule jams. I like the straight forward Disease too, barn burner! The my friend sets this heavy tone, and phish spends the set going back and forth with great jammin and sweet release.  The Hood captures the vibe of the show perfectly.  The encore is a throw away which is too bad.  Good versions of the songs, but not what you want in your ears as you walk out the building. 
B+/A-

rowjimmy

Set One -

Jim - Nice opener. Trey is holding some of these notes to great lengths

It's Ice - cool (get it?)

Esther - pretty tune with scary words

CDT - ok

IDK - you weren't really that far gone. You just had the binoculars backwards

Mule - text bookish ver. based on show-club appearances, this must be the most-played song. Right?

DWD - Classic style version with the backing vox on the reprise and all that. Trey is really going for it. Not overlong or overawesome.

Set two has some tasty stuff, right?

Right?

Re-listened to the Melt and it's a good one. Nice, rippling tension in there.

Set Number The Duece
MFMF - Nice ver. The outro jam... Weird thing, that. Not really long enough to do anything but turn your head.

YaMar - Get up and git down

Lope - You know it's gonna be good when they start messing around early. This gets into some serial rippage. Stash darkness jam teases in there taboot.

Fluffhead - I liked it.

Ginseng - A relative breather.  Boogie.

IWBLY - Fishman scats. Fun and Funny.

Hood - Great version.. had me rocking out @ my desk.

Encore:
Bouncin - yep
Golgi - stub; in your hand.

Ok, this second set brings the show up from my earlier doubts. Gonna give this a B.

Caravan2001

SET 1:
01. RUNAWAY JIM--good opener, well played...Trey shreds it
02. IT'S ICE- interesting placement.  I don't really like this song, this is a great version.  The extended part is pretty interesting.
03. SPARKLE >eh......
04. SPLIT OPEN AND MELT- pretty shredding- typical Spring '94 stuffs...
05. ESTHER- solid version
06. CHALK DUST TORTURE- Trey rips it...again, typical 94...
07. I DIDN'T KNOW- need to relisten, got a phone call and the mp3 was not tracked out...
08. SCENT OF A MULE- good early version--is this the debut?  Trey KILLS the mule duel....sounds like they are having fun
09. DOWN WITH DISEASE- another debut?  They also sound like they are having fun on this.  Little slower, but with some cool vocal nuances that I have not heard in other versions....A little tentative at first  and then Try shreds the jam...

DISC 2:

SET 2:
01. MY FRIEND, MY FRIEND --OK opener
02. RIGHT BACK INSIDE MY HEART JAM -- this was pretty cool.
03. YA MAR- good/great version.  I turned it off in the middle of the jam (in my car) and when I got back in, I was digging it and could not even tell what song it was.  That's a good thing.
04. RUN LIKE AN ANTELOPE- Good 94 version
05. FLUFFHEAD- not note perfect on the comp section, but they nail the jam...
06. GINSENG SULLIVAN- nice job....
07. I WANNA BE LIKE YOU- very cool and funny- is this the first one?  This is one song I don't think I have ever seen-- I would like to....
08. HYHU- barely....

DISC 3:

01. HARRY HOOD-- good version,but I like the next one at the Beacon a little better (1st set Hood)....this is solid though...
ENCORE:
02. BOUNCING AROUND THE ROOM-- These encores were not on the mp3 links posted above--I could have screwed something up, were the encores on their own file?
03. GOLGI APPARATUS

This was a decent sounding show.  I saw the Beacon run later this week and it was very similar....94 really sounds like a transitional period for the band...there is some good playing, and some good shows sprinkled throughout, but it has never sparkled like 93 or slaughtered like 95 IMO..still there is some sick shit from 94....This is a very good show considering it is the very beginning of the tour and there is a lot of new material...Nothing mindblowing IMO, but a good show...I give it a B

justjezmund

4/10/94
Alumni Center, Amherst NY

I

Jim:  Good opener with layers of ripping included.

Its Ice:  Really well played and with some interesting stuff you don't normally hear.  Good stuff early on in this show.

Sparkle:  Mehtastic

Spilt: Composed section is what it should be, followed by shredding awesomeness. Good to hear.

Esther:  Love this song and this version is quite moving as well.  Very comforting this morning.

CDT: 94 energy :rawk:

I didn't know:  same as it ever was.

Scent:  Always like this but it is a bit on the slower side but still nice and mike really lays it down.

DWD:  Straight rage, I like jammy versions but when its nothing but rockin it really makes me smile.

II

MFMF:  Spooky coolness then song I never heard of ever.

Ya Mar:  Always nice to hear page tear things up.

Antelope:  more 94 energy with nice reggae section followed by more rage

Fluffhead:  Powerful pills and a very well played version.

Ginseng:  That was awesome with washboard.

I wanna be like you:  Wowzers /statement

HYHU: Its cool and I like it.
Hood:  Awesome building work the whole way through and this develops into nothing less than excellent.  Perfect way to end a set. :clap:

E

Bouncin:
Quote from: khalpin on March 12, 2010, 10:11:20 PM
"This better not be a one song encore"

Golgi:  Cool song and done well but not what I want to hear when Im leaving.

Overall having this as my first listen I am satisfied.  Cool song selections though out.  Highlights for myself are Spilt, DWD, I wanna be like you, and HOOD.  I love 94, and every time I hear more of it it makes me smile.  B+ from me.  Good pick.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

emay

Set 1
RUNAWAY JIM--Nice opener
IT'S ICE-kickin it off early! love the placement.
SPARKLE > tryin to keep that energy
SPLIT OPEN AND MELT- and here it comes!  :rawk: shredding SOAM
ESTHER- good solid gamehendge  :music:
CHALK DUST TORTURE- Trey shreds it
I DIDN'T KNOW- typical didnt know.
SCENT OF A MULE- amazing duel...the band is tight and sounding great! esp trey.
DOWN WITH DISEASE- straight forward rockin' disease.

Set 2
MY FRIEND, MY FRIEND -- Nice second opener....hehe
RIGHT BACK INSIDE MY HEART JAM -- straight themed jam
YA MAR- Good relaxin/groovin ya mar.
RUN LIKE AN ANTELOPE- Good verison...any shreddin antelope is good with me  :banana:
FLUFFHEAD- Jam shredsssss
GINSENG SULLIVAN- hoe-down love the late 2nd set bluegrass placement
I WANNA BE LIKE YOU- good comical song
HYHU- eh...typical
HARRY HOOD-- Solid '94 Hood
ENCORE
BOUNCING AROUND THE ROOM-- Standard...
GOLGI APPARATUS-Beautiful instrumental break

give this show a A-, very infamous show...holds pretty strong