News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Show Attended?

Started by cactusfan, November 03, 2006, 01:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

Saw Vijay Iyer trio Friday and Joey Alexander trio Saturday
both were great
Iyer is a harmonic and rhythmic mastermind, great trio with strong group improv. I forget the bass player's name. Drummer is Tyshawn Shorey - same guy as on the recent sextet cd. I sat right in front of him - was very impressed. Unfortunately the sound guy didn't do his homework and we couldn't hear the piano as well as we should have.

Alexander is amazing. He would be considered one of the best young piano players even if he wasn't only 14. He's more melodic than Iyer. His compositions are very good and the group improv was great. Another strong rhythm section, Chris Funn (I think) on bass, and Jonathan Pinson (Berklee grad) on drums. I was totally blown away and humbled by both of these drummers.

I'd see either one of them again. 
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

shoreline99

ghost -

Holy shitballs, what an amazing show
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

anthrax

Quote from: shoreline99 on May 16, 2018, 12:12:37 AM
ghost -

Holy shitballs, what an amazing show

seriously?  tell me more!!

shoreline99

Pure freaking theater. I've seen a ton of metal bands, but this was definitely a cool experience. Their music, while assuredly metal, veers off into pop, hard rock, and a lot of other genres. Small venue, large crowd, and man Tobias is a heck of a showman. Went in with zero expectations and was totally floored.

Very cool show. Worth checking them out if they come around you. They opened for Maiden last year, I think this is their first headlining tour.

They're playing the same setlist at all of their shows, from what I can see. If anyone is interested:

Set 1
01 Miserere mei, Deus
02 Ashes
03 Rats
04 Absolution
05 Ritual.
06 Con Clavi Con Dio
07 Per Aspera ad Inferi
09 Cirice
10 Stand By Him
11 Miasma
12 Cardinal Copia Speaks
13 Jigolo Har Megiddo (Acoustic)
14 Pro Memoria
15 Deus In Absentia

Set 2 (with Encore)
01 Masked Ball
02 Spirit
03 From the Pinnacle to the Pit
04 Cardinal Copia Speaks
05 Faith
06 Year Zero
07 Spöksonat
08 He Is
09 Prime Mover
10 Mummy Dust
11 Cardinal Copia Speaks
12 If You Have Ghosts
13 Dance Macabre
14 Square Hammer
Audience/Encore Break
15 Cardinal Copia Speaks
16 Monstrance Clock
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

Caravan2001

The David Byrne show blew me away!  There are still a ton of domestic and Canadian dates on the horizon.  GO SEE THIS SHOW!!!!

emay

Quote from: Caravan2001 on May 29, 2018, 01:30:19 PM
The David Byrne show blew me away!  There are still a ton of domestic and Canadian dates on the horizon.  GO SEE THIS SHOW!!!!

Heard this review from pretty much everyone I know that has seen this tour so far.
V stoked for Red Rocks!!

Caravan2001

Quote from: emay on May 29, 2018, 01:32:36 PM

Heard this review from pretty much everyone I know that has seen this tour so far.
V stoked for Red Rocks!!

You won't believe it.  SO good.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Caravan2001 on May 29, 2018, 02:30:20 PM

V stoked for Red Rocks!!

Bummed that I'm only going's to see festival sets of this tour. Which I could have caught a theater show. Jazzfest was great, but he didn't even use his metal screen there. I'll try and catch him at ACLFest too.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Caravan2001

Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 29, 2018, 03:03:22 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on May 29, 2018, 02:30:20 PM

V stoked for Red Rocks!!

Bummed that I'm only going's to see festival sets of this tour. Which I could have caught a theater show. Jazzfest was great, but he didn't even use his metal screen there. I'll try and catch him at ACLFest too.

Yeah, I saw some of the Coachella bit and it didn't have the same oomph in the open environment, thous I am sure Red Rocks (and ACL) will be dope.  On top of that, I was given a second row ticket so I was literally 10' from DB the whole time which was so cool.

sls.stormyrider

A friend, who is origninally from Austin, took me to a Los Lonely boys show last night. Had no idea what to expect, other than not much

They were really good! Kinda like Los Lobos meets Santana with some Stevie Ray thrown in, I guess.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

gah

Quote from: slslbs on June 11, 2018, 02:39:43 PM
A friend, who is origninally from Austin, took me to a Los Lonely boys show last night. Had no idea what to expect, other than not much

They were really good! Kinda like Los Lobos meets Santana with some Stevie Ray thrown in, I guess.

Nice, somewhat related, Austin and all, I went to see Lukas Nelson and Promise of the Real Saturday night, and they were legit. Great show, good dynamics, from solo with an acoustic to full band sonic landscapes (set me down on a cloud) to solid covers from paul simons diamonds on the soles of her shoes, and tom petty's breakdown (solo), great stage presence. All in all, would def recommend checking them out if you can.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mehead

Funny you mention Santana. I saw then twice in 2006. The first time was in CT where they opened for Santana.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

PIE-GUY

I've seen this band countless times - including a spot opening for the Stones when they played Austin. They are fun and super talented. Not my favorite band, but they'll do in a pinch.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

anthrax

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.