News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Earbud recommendations

Started by VDB, October 27, 2014, 10:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ph92

Quote from: tet on March 06, 2017, 11:05:23 AM
I realize this conversation is steered more towards the audiophile range of earbuds, but FWIW, I have been using the AirPods for the past several months, and they are beyond fantastic.  The battery life is really good, and I find the sound quality is better than older Apple buds due to the improved fit - I mean, I can shake my head like I'm raging an MSG Hood and they don't fucking budge.  The syncing is stupid easy, and the fact that they automatically will work anywhere within the Apple ecosystem makes life just brainless. 
From another thread.... but I'll just leave this here

I have heard good things, I just don't like the fact that they seem easy to lose being so small.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

tet

Quote from: ph92 on March 06, 2017, 11:08:07 AM
I have heard good things, I just don't like the fact that they seem easy to lose being so small.

The latest iOS update (in beta right now) allows you to locate them (it tracks where they last were connected to the phone), and you can also play a loud sound from them to help locate individual missing AirPods.  If you lose the whole case, you can't play a noise, but it will tell you the last place you had it near your phone.  Not 100%, but pretty helpful. 

I also don't think the idea that one could easily lose these should be a factor; people lose phones, wired earbuds, wallets, and passports, and none of those have generated headlines.  I just think it's an easy "bash Apple" mindset that generates clicks, but is just stupid.  Take care of your shit and this isn't a problem. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

mattstick

kellerb

I realize this conversation is steered more towards the audiophile range of earbuds, but FWIW, I have been using the AirPods for the past several months, and they are beyond fantastic.  The battery life is really good, and I find the sound quality is better than older Apple buds due to the improved fit - I mean, I can shake my head like I'm raging an MSG Hood and they don't fucking budge.  The syncing is stupid easy, and the fact that they automatically will work anywhere within the Apple ecosystem makes life just brainless. 

As Tet mentioned, if you lose them, you can activate an option where the buttplug part vibrates harder the closer you get to the ear buds.  Kind of a "Hotter / Colder" thing.  Or "Marco Polo" if that's your bag

ph92

Quote from: kellerb on March 06, 2017, 12:58:28 PM

As Tet mentioned, if you lose them, you can activate an option where the buttplug part vibrates harder the closer you get to the ear buds.  Kind of a "Hotter / Colder" thing.  Or "Marco Polo" if that's your bag
Now fetish based geocaching groups will be rich!
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

Gundo

Would just like to add that Monoprice has a great selection of earbuds. The sound sound quality is always above average to exceptional depending on the model. Their cheapest IEM's sound better than Bose IEM's i've A/B'd right next to each other. I like higher ends and not so much muddy bass noise. I won't look back for as long as they are affordable

VDB

After much consideration I finally decided on the Bose Soundsport buds.

Am I just wearing these wrong or is everyone else within earshot supposed to be able to hear very loudly and clearly whatever it is you're listening to? What the fuck? These could be OK for running, but I have no intention of wearing these to the gym or any other public environment where I would annoy the hell out of everyone around me by projecting my sound for all to hear. Seems to be substantially against the point of an earbud in the first place.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Quote from: VDB on March 20, 2017, 10:47:58 AM
After much consideration I finally decided on the Bose Soundsport buds.

Am I just wearing these wrong or is everyone else within earshot supposed to be able to hear very loudly and clearly whatever it is you're listening to? What the fuck? These could be OK for running, but I have no intention of wearing these to the gym or any other public environment where I would annoy the hell out of everyone around me by projecting my sound for all to hear. Seems to be substantially against the point of an earbud in the first place.

If you turn them up loud enough you won't be able to hear other people bitching.

sls.stormyrider

I forget - are those the sound isolating earbuds? If  not, then you will be able to hear outside noise. They make ones that specifically isolate outside sounds. I can check the model # when I get home.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mattstick

So I have those headphones, but I'm not really aware of how well people can hear around me, and I'm kind of confused about how you're able to determine that they're loud for the people around you.

VDB

Quote from: mattstick on March 21, 2017, 10:08:46 AM

So I have those headphones, but I'm not really aware of how well people can hear around me, and I'm kind of confused about how you're able to determine that they're loud for the people around you.

I was testing them out and my wife was standing next to me. She made the comment so I had her try them. I'm afraid they're pretty loud.
Is this still Wombat?

mattstick

I can see in a quiet room maybe, maybe you need to turn it down a bit? :P

I like that I can still hear outside sounds, especially if I'm running outdoors while wearing these... so it's a give and take I guess.

Have you tried the different tips for a different fit?

VDB

I did try the different tips, didn't seem to matter.

And the noise seems quite clearly audible (to an outsider) even at reasonable listening volumes.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

mattstick

Quote from: mattstick on March 06, 2017, 12:49:45 PM
I definitely want.

All of my dreams have come true. Rocking the AirPods.

Switching from iPhone to iMac with a single click is killer.