News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2018-11-03 - MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV - Post Show Discussion

Started by anthrax, November 04, 2018, 07:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthrax

PHISH, SATURDAY 11/03/2018
MGM GRAND GARDEN ARENA
Las Vegas, NV
SET 1: The Moma Dance, Kill Devil Falls > Roggae, Water in the Sky, 555 > Tube > Farmhouse, Mike's Song > Lifeboy > Weekapaug Groove

SET 2: Carini > 46 Days > Scents and Subtle Sounds > Crosseyed and Painless > Also Sprach Zarathustra > Possum > Split Open and Melt

ENCORE: Wading in the Velvet Sea, Character Zero

anthrax

i'm not sure who is more tired, those that did vegas or those on the east coast who did normal life and then late night couch tour!  i was expecting a slight let down of a show, but this was another gem.  second set was the real deal with killer versions of s&ss and c&p.  melt was also very interesting.  what a run!

mistercharlie

This was a killer show. Highlights being Tube, S&SS and SOAM. Especially SOAM!!! Best Melt in a log time!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

They've played a couple good melts this year but this one here, oh mama. Deep psychedelic ambience.

Caravan2001

Love the set 2 closing Melt a la the gorge this summer.  Great place for it and it has been spurring some dark jams that are harder to conjure up mid first set.  Kind of wish I went to the show last night but I just couldn't hang. Went to bed last night during Carini and woke up 14 hours later.  Best three shows i have seen in a row since forever.  These guys are at the top of their game.

VA $l!m

havent heard it yet, but DAMN look at that list on paper!  :rawk:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Hicks

The Melt was amazeballs, but don't sleep on the 46 Days, big ol thick slab of rawk. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

The only weak link looks like the encore (on paper).  I'm sure people love it.

VA $l!m

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 04, 2018, 11:05:17 PM
lol didnt even notice encore.  Sign of a great show when it doesnt matter cause 2 sets was more than enough!
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Gumbo72203

do you guys realize that every Tube played this tour was over 10 minutes long?  We never thought this day would come. 

I feel like I'm watching 2.0 Phish again.  Just spitting fire and going deep every fucking show.  FIRST SET JAMS!  REAL PHISH!!!!

Also this 46 Days might be the best of 3.0.  It's fucking batty. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

cactusfan

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 04, 2018, 09:47:12 PM
Love the set 2 closing Melt a la the gorge this summer.  Great place for it and it has been spurring some dark jams that are harder to conjure up mid first set.  Kind of wish I went to the show last night but I just couldn't hang. Went to bed last night during Carini and woke up 14 hours later.  Best three shows i have seen in a row since forever.  These guys are at the top of their game.

This run was amazing. I saw 6 shows this summer, and great as many parts of those shows were, nothing compares to what they did in Vegas. It just felt like they could not be stopped. Set after set, everything clicked. It's like they found, at last, the exact sound they've been looking for, and having found it, reveled in it, whether first set or second, short song or long, everything sounded so fucking good.

The first set of this show is the only set that felt somewhat more like a normal 3.0 first set---aside from that Tube. Then they came out in the second and destroyed us yet again. Possum was the only song in the second that didn't do anything special, which might have been a little annoying had the set ended there, but throwing on a deep, dark, psychedelic SOAM to finish it out solved that problem.

Velvet Sea they played because they had to play something extremely mellow and peaceful after that SOAM. I only wish they'd closed with YEM instead of Zero...

rowjimmy

46 Days is ripping and the Scents jam is wonderful.
I've only been able to go at this show in pieces but the pieces all contain greatness.

What a killer run.

ytowndan

I'm finally all caught up.  Man, what a run!  I seriously love this fucking band!  :clap:
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

gah

This is how I felt about it being there. I had a great time and thought they were killing it. The encore was a bit of a letdown for the energy the show brought, but at the end of a four night run in Vegas, I guess that was all they had left. And the wading was a nice catch your breath song. Fav's tho were the Tube, lifeboy, S&SS, and that melt....man...Super glad I could squeeze in one more show after those three in hampton, of a great fall tour.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Caravan2001

Quote from: gah on November 08, 2018, 04:05:09 PM

This is how I felt about it being there. I had a great time and thought they were killing it. The encore was a bit of a letdown for the energy the show brought, but at the end of a four night run in Vegas, I guess that was all they had left. And the wading was a nice catch your breath song. Fav's tho were the Tube, lifeboy, S&SS, and that melt....man...Super glad I could squeeze in one more show after those three in hampton, of a great fall tour.
And actually, those songs are really good and can be awesome, so what do I know.  My issue with Character Zero is how often they play it and my issue with Velvet Sea is normally placement.  I think in the first encore slot, it actually kind of works.  Like it better there than mid-second set for sure.