News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Jauntee

Started by WhatstheUse?, April 11, 2011, 07:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Planning on making it out tomorrow but will probably be brief.  What time do you guys think you are going on?

emay

hellz yeah! got my Rogue River crew going to see them tonight in Ashland

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 14, 2018, 06:32:42 PM
Planning on making it out tomorrow but will probably be brief.  What time do you guys think you are going on?

Did you make it out? I missed ya if so!

Quote from: emay on November 14, 2018, 06:38:18 PM

Ashland is hilarious. Technically, we played the town just north- middle of nowhere. We roll up to this shitty saloon looking spot that hasn't been updated in 50 years, and think.... what have we gotten ourselves into?!

Sure enough, by 10'clock, this place was filled up with Flat Brimmed Farmers! I swear a solid 90% of kids there grew weed or trimmed weed or did something on a weed farm. Pretty heady little community. Seems like weed is basically becoming worthless there though, can't even give the shit away! Well..... except to us... they can.. and did give it to us...
Bring in the dude!

Caravan2001

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on November 18, 2018, 05:40:02 PM

Ashland is hilarious. Technically, we played the town just north- middle of nowhere. We roll up to this shitty saloon looking spot that hasn't been updated in 50 years, and think.... what have we gotten ourselves into?!

Sure enough, by 10'clock, this place was filled up with Flat Brimmed Farmers! I swear a solid 90% of kids there grew weed or trimmed weed or did something on a weed farm. Pretty heady little community. Seems like weed is basically becoming worthless there though, can't even give the shit away! Well..... except to us... they can.. and did give it to us...

I didn't..My kid was sick and I didn't have it in me by 10 to make the drive downtown.  Hope it was a good gig.

Yeah, Ashland and Talent are cool.. So is Cave Junction.  The whole economy basically does revolve around weed.  Lots of great peeps down there.  But yeah, weed is like $1000 a pound if you're lucky.  Nobody can get rid of it for any money.  Especially this time of year.  Oregon has such a surplus it's not even funny.  If you go to the dispensary it's like $75 an ounce now.

mistercharlie

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on November 18, 2018, 05:40:02 PM

That sounds like an awesome show and afterparty tto!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

There's some Jauntee love going on over in the Phish sub-reddit.

from r/phish
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mistercharlie on February 20, 2019, 08:37:35 PM

from r/phish

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not a Reddit guy so it's cool to see traction elsewhere.

The general consensus seems to be..... "these guys should be bigger than they are - I saw them 5 years ago with 5 people there..."

Man. Sounds about right.  If I knew wtf to do to make it happen or knew what we were doing wrong.... I'd fix it today.....but fuck. Apparently I don't! This whole thing is getting tougher and tougher lately...
Bring in the dude!

mbw

Should hire this guy to go the extra mile booking you some bigger gigs.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mbw on February 20, 2019, 09:19:37 PM
Should hire this guy to go the extra mile booking you some bigger gigs.

this.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Hicks

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on February 20, 2019, 08:54:20 PM

from r/phish

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not a Reddit guy so it's cool to see traction elsewhere.

The general consensus seems to be..... "these guys should be bigger than they are - I saw them 5 years ago with 5 people there..."

Man. Sounds about right.  If I knew wtf to do to make it happen or knew what we were doing wrong.... I'd fix it today.....but fuck. Apparently I don't! This whole thing is getting tougher and tougher lately...

$30 dude.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

anthrax

from r/phish

i'm sorry to hear this, but i feel your pain.

imo there are 2 ways to "make" it in the jam scene.

1.  have a fanbase that forces the heavies to take you seriously.  this is what the first and second generation bands did so well...phish, panic, big head todd, samples all drew really well.  how many times have you heard that damn story about phish selling out the paradise in boston.  then next wave bands like sci, moe, galactic, strangefolk, all had these rabid fanbases.  it was caused by tape trading.  you start selling out 1,000 seat theaters as an independent and heavies will start to notice.  plus all the cool kids will have to be at your shows.  given the "these guys should be bigger than they are" comment, i'm guessing option 2 is your only bet.

2.  do whatever it takes to get a manager who is connected.  a good manager can get you the right publicist and an agent that is way beyond where you are.  if you make yourself look bigger than you are (the manager's job), then people will believe you are hot shit and start to come out.  see bands like spafford.  i'm sure you don't want to hear it, but a twiddle or a pppp show is the place to be if you are a heady young 20 something looking for like minded people to hang with.  it was the same thing at an sci show in 1998.   

mistercharlie

Quote from: anthrax on February 25, 2019, 07:43:11 PM

from r/phish

i'm sorry to hear this, but i feel your pain.

imo there are 2 ways to "make" it in the jam scene.

1.  have a fanbase that forces the heavies to take you seriously.  this is what the first and second generation bands did so well...phish, panic, big head todd, samples all drew really well.  how many times have you heard that damn story about phish selling out the paradise in boston.  then next wave bands like sci, moe, galactic, strangefolk, all had these rabid fanbases.  it was caused by tape trading.  you start selling out 1,000 seat theaters as an independent and heavies will start to notice.  plus all the cool kids will have to be at your shows.  given the "these guys should be bigger than they are" comment, i'm guessing option 2 is your only bet.

2.  do whatever it takes to get a manager who is connected.  a good manager can get you the right publicist and an agent that is way beyond where you are.  if you make yourself look bigger than you are (the manager's job), then people will believe you are hot shit and start to come out.  see bands like spafford.  i'm sure you don't want to hear it, but a twiddle or a pppp show is the place to be if you are a heady young 20 something looking for like minded people to hang with.  it was the same thing at an sci show in 1998.   

Ha! I saw my first sci show in '98.  :mrgreen:

shoreline99

Quote from: anthrax on February 25, 2019, 07:43:11 PM

This. PPPP sold out the Cap last month (awesome show, btw) and Twiddle has done it now several times. They were playing the smaller venue at Garcia's a year or two ago. Definitely younger new jam band fan crowds.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

mistercharlie

Bandcamp is going to start pressing vinyl for bands! Maybe this is how we can get some Jaunt-vinyl?

https://pitchfork.com/news/bandcamp-announces-new-vinyl-pressing-service/

August

Maybe some outtakes from the live release?!?