News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Entering Setlists

Started by jephrey, September 15, 2005, 12:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

August

i finished entering the setlists for the remaining shows from europe.(1st leg)
a few questions arose in the meantime...

1. the next "show" is letterman.
    should this be labeled as set one, or since only one song was played, leave it as is?
2. 2-26-97 radio appearance...i labeled this as set one and also as 2-26-97 (A) for now.
    the stuttgart show from that night is left untouched.
3. lastly, there are many kickdowns from these shows.
    maybe later down the road we can have links to the show where a particular song was last played.
that is all, i will be adding all the source info for these shows later on tonight.
peace
joseph august.

jephrey

1. My vote would be to not label it, and not include it in stats. 

2.  My vote for a/b would be to just make one page and have both on there.  Then nobody is confused, they click the date from the setlists page and it shows both.  I didn't kill the (A) section, but I added that set to the 7-26 section and details page for that date so you could take a look.  If you like it, go ahead and remove the (A) section and (A) details page, if not, let's talk about it.

3.  Well, if it's been over 100 shows, we put it in the notes and make the date a link so you can hit that.  Is that what you mean?  See how I changed Magilla to a pseudo standard that I have been following...

**[[Magilla]] was last played [[1994-05-04]] (260 shows)

If you like that, go ahead and change the other ones...  That way there's a link to the date.  The link is to the detailed setlist, but I had entered that "(s)" in other places to link to the setlists page and wonder if it'd be good in these situations too.

I'll say again that in cases of a bulleted list that you don't need the
, finally siince it's a list and they're not necessarily sentences. I usually don't punctuate but maybe I should.

Let me know what you think

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

August

yeah, that is what i meant by the magilla example you posted.
thanks,
joseph august

jephrey

Cool,

A couple things as I continue to look over 7-26.  I know on The white Tape calls it Dog Gone Dog, and I've seen Dog your Dog, but the Pharmers, and on the Phish website, it's called Dog Log.  I say we go with that.  Also, I believe it's Rocka William, not Rock-a-William, but I can't find a true reference (The pharmers has Rocka).

What do you think about putting both shows under the one date?

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

August

rocka is fine.
and i always referred to it as dog log, so that should be cool, as well.
rowjimmy and jedi?
joseph august

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

This is sweet.  I added the links to the shows.  I am waiting for thoughts on instance where there are 2 shows in a day like a radio interview then a show.  I'd like to get rid of 1997-02-26(A) and just put everything under 1997-02-26.  I have it that way, but I left the (A) page and entry in the setlists there just in case there was a reason to do it that way.  Let's decide that, I guess you know where my vote is.

Jephrey

rowjimmy

ok

I think that Letterman should be listed as a seperate show and counted in the stats and everything, just like a radio show with 10 songs would be. If a regular gig takes place on the same day (howdya like this segueway here?) they should be seperate pages with A) and B) unless they are late and early shows at the same venue (did Phish ever do that, I don't think they did.)

It's a complex maintenance problem because you'll have maybe a half dozen shows wher it doesn't stick to the primary format...

hows this for a compromise:

2005-09-29a Howard Stern Show
KROCK Studios, New York New York

2005-09-29
Madison Square Garden New York New York

Perhaps this also calls for a "special page" that lists all of these exceptions to the rule.

Lastly, "Rock A Wiliam" is the correct spelling per Phish.com : http://www.phish.com/tmiph/index.php?year=1997&month=2

jephrey

1.  Rock A William

2.  Anyone else on the way 2 sets on 1 date should be?  I guess I like the idea of the pages being dates.  If you're looking for that 2/26 interview, you type in 1997-02-26 and you get it.  You don't have to know that there's an (A) or -a or whatever.  I'm just saying I don't see any reason to split them up except that the details page would be arguably "clearer", but really, I think it's fine with both.  In addition, soundchecks are like early sets (although at the same place), and late sets too?  On NYE2K, are those considered sets or another event?  I believe Phish has played an early and late show a couple times.  IMO, since the pages are by date, stuff played on that date should all go on 1 page even though it was at 2 locations.  Did you go look at it to see what my proposal looks like?  Please do.

3.  Since Phish uses Carini, and I think they've unintentionally made that the go-by name, I say we keep Carini instead of Carini Had a Lumpy Head.

Jephrey

rowjimmy

If it's just an interview, then it should go on the main page for the date.
But, if Phish plays songs... It should go on a seperate page, imo.

soundcheck, tho should stay with the show, naturally.

I guess my point is, if the band plays in two different places on the same day, then two entries should be created with the standard name [2005-09-28] given to the standard, evening show.

Naturally each would reference the other incase someone found themselves looking at the wrong page.

How many of these do you think we're talking about? My recollection has many radio/tv performances occuring on off-nights Letterman '94 being one exception.

You might can tell that i feel pretty strongly about this. Each 'show' should have it's own page.

jephrey

And I the other way, that each date should have whatever shows and songs listed under it whether it was at the same place (late set, soundcheck, tower jam for instance or a different place, radio (interview or music and interview), an early show).

You're right, we're not talking about a lot, but it'd be nice to come to an agreement.  If it's how everyone wants it, I can change my tune, as I am sure you could if the majority wanted it the way that I have set forth.

We'll put it to a vote in the forums, and let the people decide!

Jephrey

rowjimmy

BAH!
what do the people know?  :wink:

jephrey

Ha, looks like we do them seperately.  3 votes to 1 and I don't know if anyone is even looking at the thread...

So, what format?  I like to do it by something like

1988-09-09(1)
1988-09-09(2)  - for 2 shows in a day, or A/B.

1988-09-09(radio)
1988-09-09      - for an interview before a show, shows are always plain except in the case above.

I still think we should use the suffix for any show or appearance to be consistent.  If the shows are always "plain" then I think the non-shows should always have a suffix.  It isn't as clear if you only put the suffix when there's a show on the same day IMO.  See my examples...

1988-09-09(anthem)
1988-09-09(TV)

I'll go in and adjust the 2-26 date once we button it down perfectly.

Jephrey

rowjimmy

I think that for the 'regular show, we should use standard date format.
Make the 'other' show carry an 'A' or 'B'.

that is:

1994-12-30a Ed Sullivan Theater - New York, NY

1994-12-30 Madison Square Garden - New York, NY

this way, the primary gig for the day maintains standard format and can be easily found or linked to without error.

Also, I'd like to resubmit the idea that we develop a 'special page' that lists all of these special appearances.

jephrey

I'm down for that special page.  Like "Other Appearances"

I know it has happened at least once where they'll play a short show somewhere in the day and another short one at night at a different place.  I suppose we can cross that bridge when/if we come to it.

Would you/anyone else be cool with coding the "other" show with something other than 'a' ?  I sure liked the idea of using a better description in parens (standardizing on what they'd be, like 2 letters; RD for radio (AM or FM), NA for national anthem, TV for television, etc) or even a full (radio) or whatever.

think of the masses and what you'd do...  If I was searching for a show that I knew wasn't a main show, and didn't know if there was a show that day or not, I'd search on the date itself with a wildcard or something and look through the search results.  In that case, I'd see that there's a page called date(RD) and know, hey, that's a radio show, and click I'm there.  Whether it's an a or an asterisk, or (A) or (NA) or whatever the suffix is really doesn't matter, so why not make it something that means more than just "this was not a full concert"?

If we're sperating them, I think the title should be more descriptive.

Thoughts?

Jephrey