News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Umphrey's McGee

Started by macaronihead, June 19, 2011, 12:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcider

great show at the Canopy the other night!

macaronihead

Quote from: bvaz on February 11, 2012, 08:42:18 AM
sold out show last night but it wasn't overly annoying
I enjoyed the 2nd set

02/10/12 • House of Blues • Boston, MA

Set 1: Cummins Lies > JaJunk > The Floor, Uncle Wally, Jimmy Stewart (w/ lyrics) > 2nd Self, Walking On the Moon > Puppet String, Made To Measure > Divisions > The Pequod > Divisions
Set 2: Jazz Odyssey > Domino Theory, Shine on You Crazy Diamond > Wappy Sprayberry, Booth Love, Hajimemashite > JaJunk
Encore: Pay the Snucka

I was there as well! First set started out RAWKin with JaJunk > The Floor but never picked up. Walking on the Mnon was well done and Divisions > The Peqod > Divisions was fantastic. The 2nd set on the other hand OMGZ!!!! besides the outta place SOYCD this set was awesome. the Domino Theory stew, Wappy and Booth Love all top notch UM.

Casey Lenahan

The newest issue of Relix came out. Umph on the cover

http://www.relix.com/relix/issues/2012/02/28/march

QuoteUmphrey's McGee: The Last Jamband Standing?

Of all the groups to emerge from Phish's shadow in the late '90s and early '00s, Umphrey's McGee may have the best chance of saving the jamband scene. Though the group follows the blueprint originally designed by the Grateful Dead in the late '60s, both Umphrey's McGee's progrock sound and their 21st century approach to marketing and promotions are firmly grounded in the modern musical landscape. Noted critic Richard Gehr spent time with the band and their crew in late 2011 and offers a state of the union on the Chicago-bred sextet on the eve of their 14th anniversary—and argues why Umphrey's McGee may be the last "classic" jamband standing.

great article, read it the other night at the bookstore.
I owe Aug $20

sophist

How can you save a scene when are but a shadow of it? 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

DoW

maybe they should start researching on how to save relix.
articles like that are not much help in that regard.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

kellerb

the article itself was pretty decent, dumb intro paragraph premise notwithstanding. 

mistercharlie

Quote from: tehdead on March 23, 2012, 11:48:08 AM

Of all the groups to emerge from Phish's shadow in the late '90s and early '00s, Umphrey's McGee may have the best chance of saving the jamband scene. Though the group follows the blueprint originally designed by the Grateful Dead in the late '60s, both Umphrey's McGee's progrock sound and their 21st century approach to marketing and promotions are firmly grounded in the modern musical landscape. Noted critic Richard Gehr spent time with the band and their crew in late 2011 and offers a state of the union on the Chicago-bred sextet on the eve of their 14th anniversary—and argues why Umphrey's McGee may be the last "classic" jamband standing.

That was the last issue, the newest issue has a 20 year trubute to H.O.R.D.E. on it. In said issue it states that Mike Gordon was trying to get H.O.R.D.E. to be called The Clifford Ball.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

kellerb

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 24, 2012, 05:26:06 AM
Quote from: tehdead on March 23, 2012, 11:48:08 AM

That was the last issue, the newest issue has a 20 year trubute to H.O.R.D.E. on it. In said issue it states that Mike Gordon was trying to get H.O.R.D.E. to be called The Clifford Ball.

Yeah, I just read that article this morning.  Interesting stuff.  Clifford Ball was an idea as early as '92, which is wild.

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

gah

Quote from: sophist on April 27, 2012, 01:57:09 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/26/umphreys-mcgees-chicago-w_n_1456750.html

I......just.......can't.........man...........

::dies from laughter::

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA! I made it to about 30 seconds. So sad. sorry chicago folks.

(They should've had Wilco write something)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sophist

I can't decide what heightens the cheese dick factor more, the auto-tune vocals or the horrendous lyrics. 

mbw

i listened to that earlier today.   :shakehead:
what an embarrassment.

WhatstheUse?

Holy shit.  That was so terrible.

Umphrey's has now lost all my respect.

... oh wait, you need to have respect first, to lose it...
Bring in the dude!

Lifeboy

After the UM show in Tulsa week (which was one of the weakest shows I've attended), I realized that there are very few "songs" that I like, and that most (literally) of them sound so much alike, that I can't tell the difference between them. Most of them suck.

That said, when they get into improv territory, they're actually pretty talented (not to mention Jake is a pretty damn good guitarist).

The reason I go to moe., UM, etc shows is bc I dig improv. moe. is SO much more talented than UM though, imo.

But yeah, improv..... they're pretty good at it. They jam. That's my favorite thing about music.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.