News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2009 surprises: what are you still listening to?

Started by Gumbo72203, May 14, 2010, 11:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

I just wanted to make this post because I find myself, more and more, listening to 2009 Phish.  I'm not sure whether its because this is the only Phish I've seen, or what, but more and more I find that I really enjoy a lot of what went down. 

For instance, I just had my brain melted by the 12/28/09 Light -> Slave.  The Mike's -> 2001 bit belies the (!!!!) that is implied by the thought of such a combination, but the latter half of this Mike's Trey's Light combo is really fuckin hot. 

Also, I just thoroughly enjoyed the F8 Wolfman's Brother -> Piper -> Jam -> Joy.  I have an aud source that is cut that way, and i think its appropriate, because the band starts singing something at the end of the jam before Joy.  And the jam is REALLY good, I think.  I really liked it.  I'm listening to the Hood right now, and its suprisingly tight throught the whole composed part, too.  The jam is starting off really neatly also.

But in addition to this stuff, theres the Miami GBOTT, 12/29 set 2, Albany 7 Below -> Ghost (obv), the 11/1 Tweezer -> Maze (this Tweezer REALLY REALLY fucking impresses me, with its highly melodic structured sickness), Gorge RnR -> Makisupa and Sneakin' Sally -> Jam, 6/4 Drowned/YEM...

I donno, what do you guys think?  On the whole...  I think it was a pretty impressive first year back.  Theres a lot of filler fluff that is just kinda perfunctory, like most of the first half of Summer and Fall, but I honestly think that they really really progressed as each tour went on.

I donno, what do you think?  Is there anything you listen to often?  Anything you've grown to like more than initially?
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

sophist

Why eat a steak at waffle house when Morton's Steak House is an option too? 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Gol D. Roger

Haven't listened to 2009 Phish in quite a while.
,,Teenage Dreams, So Hard To Beat"

PIE-GUY

Quote from: sophist on May 14, 2010, 11:33:19 AM

Because Morton's ain't got no Scattered, Smothered, and Covered Hash Browns!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

thatfargone

I recently started re-listening to some 2009, then I just went to Morton's like sophist  There is just sooooo much better Phish to listen to.  (93>97 then repeat is my way!)
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

redrum

i enjoy what happened in 2009.
for me, it's always been interesting to hear them develop, grow & change.
there was more of them re-finding themselves last year than in the past 10 years.
what can i say? i'm a fan of phish.

do i love 30 min psychedelic extra terrestrial space funk improv jams as much as the next guy?
YES.
but i'm content with whats happening now.
when the time is right they'll spread their wings again.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

DoW

I've gone back to listen to 2009 as well, mainly the fall tour.

Although I agree that there is better eras to listen to, tour starts in less than a month and for me, the fall made strides from the summer.  So, re-listening to a lot of these shows is more of anticipation of what is to come this summer.

For me, listening to '93 a month before the '010 summer tour can lead to a little disappointment.  After the tour is another story though.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

phg

Quote from: redrum on May 14, 2010, 01:01:52 PM
there was more of them re-finding themselves last year than in the past 10 years.

do i love 30 min psychedelic extra terrestrial space funk improv jams as much as the next guy?
YES.

:beers:  agreed.

UncleEbinezer

No 2009 for me.  Hitting the vaults when I do.  Lately 98 and 99.  Been listening to a lot of pandora for some mixture.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

sophist

Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 14, 2010, 12:05:56 PM

But the Morton's waitress will give you a hummer in the bathroom then serve you a cold beer....

well not really.   the hashbrowns is a convincing counter argument here. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: sophist on May 14, 2010, 01:45:55 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 14, 2010, 12:05:56 PM

But the Morton's waitress will give you a hummer in the bathroom then serve you a cold beer....

well not really.   the hashbrowns is a convincing counter argument here.

:Makes a u-turn after reading the "well not really" at the end of the post.   :x  :
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

macaronihead

I'll go back to the 2009 shows I was at and listen to what I thought were highlights. I don't think I've listened to a 2009 show that I wasn't at more than once. I can see myself going back and fully listening to some end of summer 2009 shows however, in anticipation for this summer's tour.

I've been on a '93 kick lately but now I'm getting the feeling that this summer could feature shows/jams/sets similar to summer 2003 so I think I might throw some of those on in the near future.

thatfargone

Quote from: redrum on May 14, 2010, 01:01:52 PM

YES.

I'm fine with all that in a live setting, on tape...eh? :|
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

willsteele

I am now working my way through fall 2009.  There is tons of shit I really dig from all of 2009.  Light is a song that has impressed me recently.  Just listened to 12/28/09 last night actually. 

Albany Seven Below > Ghost is what I put on almost every other night when putting my 10 month old son to sleep.  He seems to dig Seven Below for some reason  (or maybe he hates it and that's why he passes out so quickly)

But after listening to eveything I am sure there will be certain songs I will go back to.  Not as often as say 97 or 98 stuff but I will hit up 2009 again.  I dig it.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

kellerb

I've relistened to 8/7 a reasonable amount, especially the Gin->Hood, E: Slave