News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2001 Echoes

Started by cactusfan, September 07, 2008, 03:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

i feel like i must be the last person in the world to have heard about this-- i don't know how i've lived this long and never been told!

but yeah. floyd's Echoes is timed to be played with the Jupiter And Beyond The Infinite sequence of 2001. fits to the second. watched it last night. it's great.

Ri©h

Always my favorite part of that movie...

Floyd + Kubrick = epic

rowjimmy

I have a dvd of that combo somewhere.
Great stuff.

whyweigh5.0

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 07, 2008, 08:23:50 PM
I have a dvd of that combo somewhere.
Great stuff.

If you ever find it can you send me a copy?
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

MiamiPhish

2nd roar of the lion again?  :wink:

MiamiPhish

Here's an interesting read I found, which discusses whether or not Floyd, or any other band around the DSOTM era, could have deliberately synced an album with a movie.  I think (?) we all know that the sync isn't deliberate, but rather coincidental.  Then again, maybe it isn't...  :-)

http://members.cox.net/stegokitty/dsotr_pages/coincidence.htm

cactusfan

Quote from: MiamiPhish on September 08, 2008, 12:43:24 AM
Here's an interesting read I found, which discusses whether or not Floyd, or any other band around the DSOTM era, could have deliberately synced an album with a movie.  I think (?) we all know that the sync isn't deliberate, but rather coincidental.  Then again, maybe it isn't...  :-)

this is generally what i'd think, and is obviously true for something like DSOTM and the wizard of oz.

but i'm not willing to buy that echoes just happens to be, to the second, the same length as this sequence. what are the odds of that? in a song with so many overlapping sections that could have been any length at all? there's no 'second roar of the lion.' it's one very specific sequence. i started the song and the sequence at the same time, and they ended as one.

plus there are quite a few cuts that match eerily well. are these on purpose too? i don't know, but there's enough of them to make one wonder, particularly the cut at the end when the monolith is revealed in the bedroom. different musical passages link up with different visual ones, too, in a way that, again, at least has to leave one wondering.

i think if nothing else, they at least made it fit timewise. that's too coincidental for me to believe it's an accident.

MiamiPhish

Quote from: cactusfan on September 08, 2008, 01:38:34 AM
Quote from: MiamiPhish on September 08, 2008, 12:43:24 AM

this is generally what i'd think, and is obviously true for something like DSOTM and the wizard of oz.

but i'm not willing to buy that echoes just happens to be, to the second, the same length as this sequence. what are the odds of that? in a song with so many overlapping sections that could have been any length at all? there's no 'second roar of the lion.' it's one very specific sequence. i started the song and the sequence at the same time, and they ended as one.

plus there are quite a few cuts that match eerily well. are these on purpose too? i don't know, but there's enough of them to make one wonder, particularly the cut at the end when the monolith is revealed in the bedroom. different musical passages link up with different visual ones, too, in a way that, again, at least has to leave one wondering.

i think if nothing else, they at least made it fit timewise. that's too coincidental for me to believe it's an accident.
That is interesting. 
I've always felt that there are no coincidences in life, that is, when things are "too coincidental for me to believe it's an accident," it is no accident.  Too many really really strange things have happened in my life that I can't just call "coincidence."
Either way, it's neat neat stuff.

rowjimmy

MiamiPhish

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 08, 2008, 09:09:46 AM
Life is coincidence.
Playing devil's advocate, could all of this: humanity, civilization, intelligence, technology have happened purely by coincidence?

rowjimmy

Quote from: MiamiPhish on September 08, 2008, 09:33:33 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on September 08, 2008, 09:09:46 AM
Life is coincidence.
Playing devil's advocate, could all of this: humanity, civilization, intelligence, technology have happened purely by coincidence?

The actions of man are driven by his own intents. But, otherwise, yes.

Hicks

Considering that Echoes was recorded at Abbey Road Studios, one of the most expensive in the world at the time there's no freaking way they spent extra time making sure all of the parts (which are indeed many) matched up perfectly with the film. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on September 08, 2008, 12:19:08 PM
Considering that Echoes was recorded at Abbey Road Studios, one of the most expensive in the world at the time there's no freaking way they spent extra time making sure all of the parts (which are indeed many) matched up perfectly with the film. 

Right.

PF did compose numbers like that in a way that Gilmore describes as 'architectural'; mapping each sequence out and denote placement of peaks and valleys and whatnot. Waters, Wright & Mason had gone to architecture school before The Floyd thing took off.

redrum

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

rowjimmy