News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Political Vids/Images

Started by rowjimmy, March 19, 2008, 03:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

VDB

Quote from: Undermind on June 13, 2013, 02:13:39 PM

Here's a fun video mashup that expands on that. Hannity is a shit-for-brains hack, no doubt about it.

But he's not the only one who's waffled on this. No less a stalwart liberal outpost than the Daily Kos has pointed out how opinion among Democrats on the NSA monitoring program shifted from when it was happening under Bush to now under Obama.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on June 13, 2013, 03:11:09 PM
But he's not the only one who's waffled on this. No less a stalwart liberal outpost than the Daily Kos has pointed out how opinion among Democrats on the NSA monitoring program shifted from when it was happening under Bush to now under Obama.

This

Hannity is a shit-for-brains hack, no doubt about it.

That
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Guyute

Quote from: runawayjimbo on June 13, 2013, 06:26:29 PM

This

That

Because people can't think for themselves, sheep.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

mehead

Quote from: Guyute on June 14, 2013, 10:11:45 AM

This

That

Because people are fucking stupid. 
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

mbw

Quote from: mehead on June 14, 2013, 09:22:57 PM

This

That

This begs the question however, why is this being reported as news, and a huge leak, when this was already knowledge in 2006, thus that poll, and this....

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/08/17/domesticspying.lawsuit/

this

and this from 2006

and the other countless articles about it from 2006?

Hicks

Quote from: mbw on June 14, 2013, 09:39:23 PM
Quote from: mehead on June 14, 2013, 09:22:57 PM

This

That

This begs the question however, why is this being reported as news, and a huge leak, when this was already knowledge in 2006, thus that poll, and this....

this

and this from 2006

and the other countless articles about it from 2006?

Yeah I didn't think was news at all, but couldn't remember the exact details. 

Clearly the liberal media is bringing this up again because it helps Obama's radical agenda.   :roll:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

runawayjimbo

You're confusing two different stories: the first (6/5) was the Verizon/NSA/database story. This is the thing we knew about (but not really, since knowing of a program's existence doesn't mean we knew what they are doing with the info, what safeguards are in place to protect people's privacy, etc.). That's why Feinstein brilliantly said, in an attempt to chill every body out, "We've been renewing this daily data dump every 3 months for 10 fucking years. I really don't know why everyone is getting all cunty about it now." (or something like that) To which most people who give a shit about civil liberties said, "Who gives a shit when the programs started, why are you still doing it?"

The second (6/7), and arguably more troubling story is the NSA's top secret PRISM program. Before this story was broken, we had absolutely no knowledge that the NSA could directly access the companies' servers on demand.

But even if there wasn't any new information, so what? I'm really not sure why you felt this point was so relevant as to make it twice. The fact that the gov't is spying on every citizen should be a big enough deal that it is news every goddamned day until the gov't backs the fuck off and follows the Constitution they swore to defend. I don't know what is more troubling to me: the fact that people fall in their predictable partisan categories (see aforementioned poll) or that we have become so conditioned to ceding our rights to an ever-growing surveillance state that this isn't a bigger fucking deal. Because it should be.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mbw

Quote from: runawayjimbo on June 14, 2013, 11:38:45 PM

You're confusing two different stories:

meh.  sound pretty similar to me.  the government is spying on your phone/internet records.  whether or not they have 'on demand access' or a fancy secret name like 'prism' seems irrelevant.

i bring it up again, because:

1: you never commented on it the first time, and i felt let down.   :-D
2. it's a legit question.  if i told you i secretly pissed in your cereal every morning in 2006, had been doing it for years and was going to keep doing it, why would you be shocked when i told you again in 2013.  (the collective 'you')

and of course i agree with you that people should be outraged and demand a stop to it, but i could say that about a slough of other issues which the majority of dumb ass americans don't give a shit about either.

VDB

The huffing, conservative historian on Bill Maher last night kept trying to compare these programs to the apparently decades-old practice of the government databasing information from the outside of letters and packages, for similar pattern-finding purposes. One minor difference here being that when you mail a letter, you actually hand it over to the government for delivery. G-men barging into the world's largest Internet companies and directly tapping the lines is quite a different scenario.

I'd like to know the legal argument why this would not be an invasion of privacy. Is it simply that they aren't (supposedly) snooping on the actual contents of your conversations? If so, then they should also be allowed to set up a microphone in your house to record how often you talk to your family members, for what duration, etc., as long as they don't listen to the particular words. Or would that be a no-no since it intrudes into the home? So what about a call made from one person's house to another house? OK to mine data there because, what, the calls are being placed over FCC-regulated, government-auctioned "public" spectrum? Or does it all just fall under the national-security catch-all explanation, which seems to trump everything and therefore should exclude no monitoring techniques from eligibility. I'm genuinely curious about the legal justification, because "we're doing it because we can" isn't an explanation that sits well wit most people.
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

From today's New Yorker mag...

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

emay

haha saw this episode over the weekend and def seemed relevant, maybe not with the MLB though  :roll:

PIE-GUY

QuoteHappening now in the Texas State Senate: #txlege debating a set of targeted restrictions on abortion providers (TRAP) bills. Also at the debate, a crowd of women donning 1960s "Mad Men" to protest Governor Perry's efforts to take us back in time and virtually ban access to safe, legal abortion in Texas.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Hicks

Quote from: PG on June 18, 2013, 05:33:30 PM

QuoteHappening now in the Texas State Senate: #txlege debating a set of targeted restrictions on abortion providers (TRAP) bills. Also at the debate, a crowd of women donning 1960s "Mad Men" to protest Governor Perry's efforts to take us back in time and virtually ban access to safe, legal abortion in Texas.

Also:

http://www.salon.com/2013/06/18/gop_lawmaker_extreme_abortion_ban_justified_because_of_masturbating_fetuses/
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

kellerb

Quote from: PG on June 18, 2013, 05:33:30 PM

Asked for comment, Gov. Perry stated "Fuck yeah, it's already working!" and then fired his pistols in the air, Yosemite Sam style.