News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Which one summer 09 show would you recommend to a skeptic?

Started by Alumni, September 23, 2009, 01:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

I would look here.  This is my post from that thread. 

Quote from: Sophist on August 17, 2009, 02:51:26 PM
Hartford
Gorge 1
SPAC
Gorge 2
RR3
RR2
RR4
Shoreline
RR1
AV2
DC
Camden
AV1
Knoxville
Asheville
JB2
Boston
Darien
roo2
JB3
St. Louis
JB1
roo 1
MPP
Chicago
Mansfield

The top 5 are very good shows, and have few flubs. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Alumni

I agree. I meant the Page comment as a compliment; the man's playing sounds better than it has in years.

I remember reading good things about that 2nd set of Red Rocks2, I'll add that to the list.

Basically, with no real idea where to start, I picked the two shows I had planned on seeing (Asheville & Knoxville). They didn't seem bad, but from chatter on websites like this one, I definitely got the impression that there were some better choices out there... 
Cause I got a degree

susep

I would say 19June09, nice second set w/ a first set The Connection taboot!!!!

mbw

i acutally kinda get the light situation you mention.  although i dont think there is any relation to the two, i did think a few times this summer that the lights were too good for the music that was being produced...

lipstick on a pig'd

mattstick

After listening for a while I don't really think anything can top the Gorge or Red Rocks from '09.

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on September 23, 2009, 02:24:23 PM

After listening for a while I don't really think anything can top the Gorge or Red Rocks from '09.

I can agree with this statement.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on September 23, 2009, 02:16:21 PM
i acutally kinda get the light situation you mention.  although i dont think there is any relation to the two, i did think a few times this summer that the lights were too good for the music that was being produced...

lipstick on a pig'd

Someone should tell Kuroda to suck a little bit more when the band is sucking.

kinda know what you mean though..... there were times this summer when phish did the same generic rock peak that they did the last show, nothing particularly special, but the lights would be so crazy and intense that the crowd would always go nuts when the big white lights went on
Bring in the dude!

ytowndan

Quote from: antelope19 on September 23, 2009, 02:26:28 PM

3rd'd
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Alumni

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on September 23, 2009, 02:34:06 PM

kinda know what you mean though..... there were times this summer when phish did the same generic rock peak that they did the last show, nothing particularly special, but the lights would be so crazy and intense that the crowd would always go nuts when the big white lights went on

I've only seen a couple Youtube vids, so take it w/ a large grain of salt.

But they were good quality, and I got the impression that the crowd was way more keyed into Kuroda's work than the band's. That's just wrong. I love the guy, and I'm not saying those things never happened "back in the day," but . . . . it's just kinda weird to see the band struggle to keep up with Kuroda, rather than the other way 'round. I think he could probably take the lights down from 11 to 7 or 8, and make those zOMG! Teh Lights! moments mean more.  :-) $.02
Cause I got a degree

WhatstheUse?

Kuroda is clearly too good for phish.

He should probably go back to working w/ R. Kelly.
Bring in the dude!

sprobeck

Quote from: Alumni on September 23, 2009, 01:51:38 PM
I agree. I meant the Page comment as a compliment; the man's playing sounds better than it has in years.

I remember reading good things about that 2nd set of Red Rocks2, I'll add that to the list.

Basically, with no real idea where to start, I picked the two shows I had planned on seeing (Asheville & Knoxville). They didn't seem bad, but from chatter on websites like this one, I definitely got the impression that there were some better choices out there...

The Drowned to open the set is outstanding!
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

mbw

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on September 23, 2009, 02:34:06 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on September 23, 2009, 02:16:21 PM

lipstick on a pig'd

yeah, thats what i was referring to.  kinda like a play with an awesome set design, yet poorly acted.

sprobeck

I'd rather have an awesome design than not an awesome design.
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

mehead

Quote from: antelope19 on September 23, 2009, 02:26:28 PM

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Alumni

Been listening a little bit to the Gorge shows, and I think I can tell what folks are talking about. It does seem like there's a little more creativity and confidence than what I heard previously from this summer.

Still not sure what I think of Phish 3.0...

Better than 04? Yeah, from what I've heard, I'd say that. Better than 03? Jury's out. Once I got over myself and let myself listen to PH Phish, I found a handful of shows I enjoyed. I'll have a better idea after hearing the 4 RR shows (and Deer Creek and Hartford), but I'm inclined to say 3.0 is closer to 03 than anything else before...

Cause I got a degree