News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

May Movie Madness

Started by cactusfan, May 02, 2012, 03:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

Quote from: barnesy305 on May 06, 2012, 09:37:48 PM
No respect for Kubrick or Kurosawa? I love Empire but damn.

kubrick is well represented. kurasawa might not have a dog in this race. not sure yet. in fact, i don't think there's going to be a single movie from outside the U.S./England.

i'll try to get this all going by monday night. or so.

ytowndan

Quote from: aphineday on May 06, 2012, 10:36:44 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on May 06, 2012, 09:12:50 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on May 06, 2012, 08:55:11 PM
List submitted.

I can't wait to start disagreeing with everyone.

i'm not looking forward to losing more hair when a poorly written kids movie about fighting bad guys in space makes it to the top. 
I didn't put Spaceballs on my list. In fact, I didn't put any Mel Brooks on my list...

I keep slacking off, but I'm gonna try to make my list tonight.

That being said, I'm not so sure I'd include Spaceballs, but Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles would surely be in my top fifty. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

cactusfan

Quote from: ytowndan on May 07, 2012, 12:27:56 AM
Quote from: aphineday on May 06, 2012, 10:36:44 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on May 06, 2012, 09:12:50 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on May 06, 2012, 08:55:11 PM
List submitted.

I can't wait to start disagreeing with everyone.

i'm not looking forward to losing more hair when a poorly written kids movie about fighting bad guys in space makes it to the top. 
I didn't put Spaceballs on my list. In fact, I didn't put any Mel Brooks on my list...

I keep slacking off, but I'm gonna try to make my list tonight.

That being said, I'm not so sure I'd include Spaceballs, but Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles would surely be in my top fifty.

you have about 2 hours from right now to send in any last lists...

cactusfan

and so it begins.
i gave this first round 6 days. it'll be shorter for subsequent rounds.

the top 10 seeds, in order:

The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
The Empire Strikes Back
Pulp Fiction
Apocalypse Now
The Big Lebowski
The Shining
Goodfellas
Full Metal Jacket
Raiders of The Lost Ark

seeds were determined by number of votes, with added weight given to top 10 movies.
any movie with only 2 or 3 votes, none in the top 10, were cut. if a movie had 3 votes with one in the top 10, it's in.
5 movies with only two votes, but one in a top 10, were randomly selected from a larger group of such movies.

otherwise, any movie with at least 4 votes made it in. 48 movies had 4 or more votes.

The Godfather and Apocalypse Now were each on 11 lists (of 16 or 17 or so). but Apocalypse only appeared in 3 top 10s. the Godfather appeared in 7 top 10s, the most of any movie. Empire Strikes Back and Godfather 2 each appeared in 6 top 10s. The Shining appeared on 10 lists, but only 2 top 10s.

Dr. Strangelove appeared on only 3 lists, but on every one it was a top 10.

Easy Rider, Reservoir Dogs, Alien and Ghostbusters all appeared on 5 lists, but in no top 10s. any movie with at least 6 votes also showed up in at least one top 10.

i'd like to upload the spreadsheet with the brackets, but it's an xls file and can't be uploaded? please advise.

khalpin

Quote from: cactusfan on May 08, 2012, 04:12:50 AM
i'd like to upload the spreadsheet with the brackets, but it's an xls file and can't be uploaded? please advise.
Try going into excel.  Do File > Print, so you get the pop-up window.  Then on the dropdown list for the printer, change it to Adobe PDF instead of your physical printer.

mbw

i cant wait to see the brackets and know how many easy passes the star trek movies got.

mattstick

note to self: Wk4pg will be difficult to read for most of May.

mistercharlie

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on May 08, 2012, 08:55:54 AM
i cant wait to see the brackets and know how many easy passes the star trek movies got.

That was done intentionally, right?  :police:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

cactusfan

VDB

So I'm pissed at myself and everyone else for forgetting to include South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut.
Is this still Wombat?

cactusfan

6 days? did i say 6 days? that's outrageous.

let's call this first round on saturday around noon.

susep

Quote from: cactusfan on May 10, 2012, 03:35:09 PM

sweet, only made it through 1/5th last night.  good work bro!

cactusfan

Quote from: susep on May 10, 2012, 04:44:40 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on May 10, 2012, 03:35:09 PM

sweet, only made it through 1/5th last night.  good work bro!

i was sensing a a cessation of commenting and voting. if you'd prefer it go the whole 6 days, it's fine with me.

rowjimmy

I changed the polls to allow people to change their votes.
What's the point of all this arguing if people can't change their mind?

PIE-GUY

I changed one vote - I was embarrassed to admit it earlier, but I will now. I voted for Airplane! at first because my eyes glanced at Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and my mind read "Leaving Las Vegas" which would definitely not get my vote. Glad I was able to change it.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul