News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Phish's Terrapin Station - good?

Started by abstractstar, November 19, 2005, 08:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abstractstar

From the summer '98 thread:
Quote from: mattstick on November 18, 2005, 02:59:52 PM
10. (duh) Terrapin Station from 8/9/98.

nah, seriously? i've only heard it once, but was very disappointed...
really, it's a crappy version! every version the dead ever played was better than this.
i mean - for most of the song Phish played it very, very correctly and nice, but when
they got to the giant climax ("terrapin - i can't figure out, terrapin -- etc") everything
fell apart, they weren't able to deliver that giant orgasmic boom like the dead,
making it an anti-climax!

of course it's cool that they played it, in honor of Garcia and everything, but man.
they could've picked something they'd be able to pull of, like a "scarlet > fire"...

but then, back when i heard it i hadn't really heard much Phish... very little in fact,
and i didn't really know what Phish was all about.  but this summer I "got it", so
maybe i should relisten to that Terrapin...? Is it really good? and why?  :?

I'm still a phish newbie, but i'm loving 'em more and more the more i hear of them!
stuck in the cold rain & snow here in Norway, Phish lightens up & warms my days  :-D

well, each man's taste is different, as we all know, so... but what do you who are
combined deadheads and phish phanatics think of phish's "Terrapin Station"? i'm a
huge deadhead myself and "Terrapin Station" is one of my favorite dead tunes (big surprise..)

i'm listening to the IT festival right now and loving it.
ya mar -> runaway jim allright!

August

i can't believe you challenged mattstick's opinion.
there is a good chance your account is now deactivated :wink:

welcome
aug

thelot

Never was a big fan of their version. Of all the covers they debuted during summer '98, that one was by far the worst IMO. A guess it's the thought that counts.  :wink:

mattstick

DELETE USER!

I love hearing Trey sing Jerry, and I've never understood people who criticize this version.  No, it's not note perfect, but it's pretty damn good - every band member sounds great in their role.

You really mean to say that it's worse than their version of Been Caught Stealin'?

To each their own, but I could (and used to) listen to it every day.

susep

personally I thought their version was preety good :-D

abstractstar

Quote from: august on November 19, 2005, 09:20:08 AM
i can't believe you challenged mattstick's opinion.
there is a good chance your account is now deactivated :wink:

welcome
aug

hey!
ah, damn! well, it was fun as long (or short) as it lasted  :wink:
hehe...
ok, i'll try to surrender to flow from now on, and not go against it  :-P
thanks for the welcome.
i never meant any offense, of course, as you probably understood. i was basically wondering
what you deadhead-phishlovers thought, or how the Phishapin Station (sorry bout the bad
wordplay) is generally regarded.

i'll give it another listen sometime soon!
right now it's the Meatstick of IT playing here.
damn this band is really something! :-D

August

i loved it, and still do.
i loved all the covers from that summer.
that place went nuts.i didnt really care for the show,
but the encore made up for it.
to rip on the gesture made, is similar to ripping
on the fact that DSOTM was sloppy.
no shit, and alot of us dont even listen to that part of that show,
but that is still one of the few that i really wish i saw.

i am glad i witnessed terrapin, and still enjoy listening to it.
augusht

abstractstar

Quote from: august on November 19, 2005, 09:49:49 AM
i am glad i witnessed terrapin, and still enjoy listening to it.

yeah, being there must've been really amazing!

jedifunk

i wont even get started on my opinion of this show & cover!  hehe... just remember i'm always lurking, just below the surface
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

thelot

Their version just sounds awkward to me. Of course I wasn't there, maybe if I was my opinion would be different, but I doubt it. I kind of feel the same way about Dark Side, again if I was there I may have a different opinion. Trey singing Jerry just doesn't work IMO.

spaced

I just listen to it for the moment when the crowd realizes what they're playing  8-)  Really, that was the point of it, it doesn't really have to hold up on tape...

phishboy

It took me a sec or two to realize what they were playing.  After that 20,000
phans going apeshit.  I personally really like their version (great tribute taboot).
One of my favorite memories from the shows I have seen.  Great show from top to bottom.

rowjimmy

Let's see... they decided to play it that day, they learned it in a day and pulled off a better than passible but clearly not perfect version... I enjoy hearing it now and then and I can't fault them with imperfection...

It's not like they busted out something like Bertha with all of 5 chords... (which I'd expect to be perfect.)

Alumni

I agree with both of the comments above.  The roar on the AUD recording when the crowd 'gets it' is spine-tingling. As for the song, well, no, it doesn't match up to a good (or maybe average) Dead version. The question for me is . . . so what?

It's easy to get spoiled with Phish's covers.  I think that encore is a gem, and whether or not it was Dead-worthy is besides the point.

Cause I got a degree

whatapiper

i too was there and was lucky enough to have 5th or 6th row center(grew up in hampton, waited in line at TM) and whats great is that it was not a "you had to be there moment" b/c the aud's speak for themselves.  i also figuered it out about 2-3 seconds in and man....LIFTOFF, everyone, myself included was jumpin up and around, on the seats, just goin apesh&%. 

...and the comments on how they played, i think phish held back a bit as to give jerry the respect he deserves and not try to rip it to shreds, instead try to play it tight and play homage to the man.   being that close i really was able to see the looks on their faces and they all were trying really hard to play it right, you could tell, and no bow at the end or anything...much respect.
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong