News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Phish's Terrapin Station - good?

Started by abstractstar, November 19, 2005, 08:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

Quote from: whatapiper on November 21, 2005, 01:34:54 PM
i also figuered it out about 2-3 seconds in and man....LIFTOFF, everyone, myself included was jumpin up and around, on the seats, just goin apesh&%. 

guess it was everyone BUT me, as i let out a hugh groan, and then started to curse :evil:

[btw- this was post 2001!!! sweet]
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

ucusty

I loved this version, i gave me chills on 8/9 and does still to this day...

jephrey

I also place a lot on the mostly mutual crowd cheering and the feeling of what was going on, not the actual quality of the performance.  I had heard Terrapin only a handful of times from the Dead and enjoyed it, but I was/am far from a Dead aficianado. So I didn't realize what was going on until later.  For some reason, on tape, it gets me.  Everybody but Jedi goes apeshit and that is like IT!  The song itself, I personally do enjoy.  Maybe it's because I'm reeling in the sound of the crowd, or just because I like it.  This one can bring me to tears.  I like it a lot.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Guyute

Quote from: jedifunk on November 19, 2005, 10:02:01 AM
i wont even get started on my opinion of this show & cover!  hehe... just remember i'm always lurking, just below the surface

Just like herpes......
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

navajo

Are there any other Dead covers Phish has performed?

rowjimmy

in the way way back...
Eyes
Scarlet Begonias, Fire on the mountain
Help On the Way, Slipknot!

and Cold Rain & Snow

ucusty

mattstick

antelope19

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 18, 2006, 09:24:41 AM
in the way way back...
Eyes
Scarlet Begonias, Fire on the mountain
Help On the Way, Slipknot!

and Cold Rain & Snow

Didn't they play West L.A. Fadeaway as well???  At shoreline?  I could be wrong though.....And RJ, I thought I had heard they learned the tune(Terrapin) that day in the bus from the album version.....is that a true story?   
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mattstick

I heard they learned it from the Dick's Picks 10 version at setbreak.

Caravan2001

They've also played VIola Lee Blues.....regarding the 8/9 Terrapin, I think it is really good.  You obviously can't compare it to a Dead version, but I don't think anyone here is.  If you you compare it to any of the other covers played that summer, it is technically played just as well and better than some (Trenchtown Rock?).  For me, it's all about the energy of the crowd (love hearing the Schoeps of this) although I know it was a mixed reaction among people there.  I for one feel pretty stupid for going home after Merriweather, but anyway, I think they did a good job (with one guitar and drummer too!) but it's not something I hoped they played more....I did end up seeing it at the 4/99 Warfield shows w/ Phil and Phriends, and this version was better imo.  Having seen it countless times by the GD, I wouldn't even venture to compare the two on any real level other than the phish version is a  pretty solid tribute....

rowjimmy

Quote from: caravan2001 on December 18, 2006, 11:21:53 AM
Having seen it countless times by the GD, I wouldn't even venture to compare the two on any real level other than the phish version is a  pretty solid tribute....

jephrey

Yeah, I was there.  I'll say good.  And the crowd reaction made it better.  I love when something moves that many people.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

August

i copped some passes for after the show from Sofi.
in all honesty, if it werent for those passes, there was a good chance that i would have been walking to my car before Terrapin after that sub-par show.
a

Gumbo72203

well maybe thats a good lesson learned then, Aug?  haha.  Sorta like what the Dead did in '88 (forget where) when they busted out the first electric Ripple in...  17-18 years as an encore request from a dying fan.  Regardless of the fact that they did it because Bobby bet Jerry that he couldn't remember the words is besides the point:  never take a band for granted.  When i last saw Dark Star Orchestra, my friend and i left after the 2nd set was done because we were thoroughly hosed and completely wasted physically to be able to endure any more music, and since i had no clue what show it was (combined with the fact that i caught soooo many amazing songs:  6/11/93 - far and away the best DSO show ive ever, and could ever imagine seeing) i figured it was worth beating everyone out.  But then when i woke up the next day to try and figure out what show it was, i realized that the encore was Brokedown Palace, which ive never seen, on top of whatever else they chose to play after that.  So im kinda mad i missed a Brokedown, cuz the odds of catching another one aren't that good, considering the time periods they mostly play.

annnnyway:  Phish and Terrapin Station. 

are you guys sure that they learned it that day, or between sets?  I mean...  i know Phish can pull off some shit in a short amount of time, but Terrapin Station in a half hour?  I dont know about that.  I mean, i guess if they all knew the song well enough that they just had to figure out what each part was and could then put it together in their heads...  but still.  They didn't soundcheck it that show, did they?  Because learning it on the bus on the way to the show would seem a lot more logical to me, giving them ample time to run through it. 

but i always thought their version did it justice.  Theres only so much you can do to a song meant for 2 drummers and 2 guitars with only one of each, so i think they pulled it off admirably. 

Abstractstar:  Welcome, man.  This place is awesome.  And if you think the IT festival stuff if amazing....  dude, wait till you get into pre-hiatus stuff.  As far as festivals go, i personally would rate Cypress probably at the top, followed by Lemonwheel, Great Went, and Clifford Ball, although you really can't rank one better than the other, except on a personal taste basis, because they're all amazing.  Nugs.net has Lemonwheel as well as the entire Summer 98 tour for download, you should go check that stuff out, because theyve got a lot other awesome shit on their, too.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again