News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R9/W10: 11-25-1998 Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY

Started by emay, March 17, 2010, 02:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

Back to the original pick :-D

QuotePhish
November 25, 1998
Pepsi Arena
Albany, NY

source:
B&K 4021 > Apogee AD-1000 (+20dB) > HHb PDR-1000 (@ 44.1 kHz)
recorded from the front of the taper's section, slightly left of center

transfer:
Tascam DA-20mkII > Marantz PMD-661 > SDHC card > usb 2.0 > pc > Samplitude SE v9.1.1 (splice, volume adjustments, fades, track splits) > FLAC v1.2.1 (Level 8)

recorded by Eric Vandercar
transferred by Jason Sobel (jasonsobel@gmail.com)
seeded July 26, 2009

notes:
FLAC tags added with metaflac v1.2.1
Big thanks to Lenny Stubbe for sending me his DAT clone.

Disc 1 - [79:08]
Set I
01 - [09:11] - Punch You in the Eye
02 - [06:34] - My Soul
03 - [09:19] - Roggae
04 - [09:52] - AC/DC Bag
05 - [09:11] - Lifeboy
06 - [19:31] - David Bowie
07 - [02:18] - Sleep
08 - [04:14] - Driver
09 - [08:58] - Good Times Bad Times

Disc 2 - [76:39]
Set II
01 - [11:54] - 2001 >
02 - [04:44] - Golgi Apparatus
03 - [11:51] - Drowned ->
04 - [08:42] - Prince Caspian >
05 - [07:35] - Piper
06 - [20:31] - You Enjoy Myself
07 - [03:19] - Been Caught Stealin' >
08 - [04:46] - Llama
09 - [03:18] - encore break

Disc 3 - [19:03]
Set II continued
01 - [03:14] - Something
02 - [11:38] - Guyute
03 - [04:11] - Freebird

technical notes:
The beginning of "Punch You in the Eye" (PYITE) was missing from Eric's B&K source.
I used the following source to splice in the missing portion:
Microtech Gefell m210 > Aerco > SBM-1
http://db.etree.org/shn/22137
The Microtech Gefell source was used for the first 44 seconds of PYITE.
I also smoothed out a 6dB level adjustment during PYITE at [01:01].

Lossy: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e64969679d601a0795af63b7d44918aa111080539a323b30

Submitted Reviews:

01 - August
02 - JustJezmund
03 - Khalpin
04 - RJ
05 - Caravan
06 - Pnchundi
07 - Superfreakie
08 - MBW
09 - Susep
10 - EMay

susep

nice, glad you switched back.  I really dig Fall '98, some really superb jamming in spots.  I remember reading a review of this show in the Companion and the reviewer was saying how after attending this show he was going on a hiatus.  Perhaps the Betty Ford Clinic was already having a negative influence?

pnchundi

^ betty ford.  I just finished reading Parke's new bio on Phish before listening to this show, and was thinking along those lines.  What was really going on backstage and how did it influence this show? But ultimately the music speaks for itself.

punch- i like the build up, a bit drawn out and the payoff is sweet.  Great opening song
my soul- 12 bar blues with some heat.  My soul is a weird song, great the first time you hear it, always on point, but never really anything new
roggae- great song. I dont really need a slow down, but well played
ac/dc- thats more like it.  They are warmed up now and this bag rages
lifeboy- i like it
bowie- great contrast.  nice spacey opening.  fairly tight and stretches out with some great playing
sleep/driver- yawn
gtbt- more rawk

Very uneven set, but very typical of 98. Rage, slow, rage, slow. I appreciate that the song writing has improved but this set doesn't flow well

2001- major space funk out here.  Page shines throughout.  Builds and releases nicely
Golgi- rawk
Drowned- sweet jesus! Now we are talking.  It's like Mike is grabbing me by the balls.  He dominates this and forces everyone to kickass
Caspian- I like this tune just because Page/Trey sound so good together and the payoff is sweet
Piper- cranks things back up to the ferocious pace of drowned, but not too long
YEM- :)  Some little flubs.  Nirvana is sweet, and the drum/bass section is tasty.  The jam continues the dark space feel of the set
Been Caught Stealin- cracks me up.  Solid version
Llama- very aggressive trey

something- great song. wish they played it more
guyute- wow.  that must be a serious pep talk to tackle guyute this late. Pretty well done, and Trey soars near the end
Freebird- ok they are done playing but don't want to leave

Second set has some real meat to it, and more than makes up for the unevenness of the first set.  It was first set's like this one where I began to see people sitting down.  That was such a weird thing at phish concert where it used to be you were up and moving the whole time.  This is a great encore as it offers a bit of everything for everyone. 
B

khalpin

PYiTE: Who doesn't like a good rocker to open things up. Does not disappoint.

My Soul: Not one of my favorites but does the job. Didn't listen very closely as my mind usually drifts during My Soul.

Roggae: Not a fan.

AC/DC Bag: That's more like it. Real slow. Gains a real nice head of steam. Ends with Fishman going nuts on the cymbals to an almost comical effect.

Lifeboy: So much for that energy.

Bowie: Good composed section save for one spot at the end where Trey played the wrong part. Relaxed jam that slowly grows to a great uplifting section ~10:00, which quickly shifts to a driving Bowie jam. Would've liked them to explore that part a bit more. Trey goes to the watery effect. Gets pretty hot. Finishes off as a nice, raging Bowie. There's that energy!

Sleep: This set is pretty up and down energy-wise.

Driver: :tte:

Good Times, Bad Times: Trey plays the intro wrong. Decent GxBx.

Can't say I was a fan of this first set. The Bowie was cool, but the set didn't flow at all and was chock full of bathroom breaks.

2001: Nice opener. Diggin' the funk.

Golgi: Certainly not my first choice to go into out of 2001.

Drowned: Page sounds great. Mike and Fishman to be on the same page during the jam on this one, but otherwise it sounds like Trey's just masturbating and not listening to anyone else.

Caspian:
Quote from: khalpin on March 15, 2010, 08:03:01 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 14, 2010, 07:30:49 PM
Least Favorite Phish Song: Prince Fuckerpants

Piper: Nice. I enjoyed that one. Not very extremely exploratory but it had momentum.

YEM: Decent composed section.  The jam seemed pretty laid back.  Just a mellow, groovy vibe to it.  Skipped the vocal jam.

Been Caught Stealing: Trey actually sings this one pretty well.  I'm sure it was a blast to be there for this one.  Pretty much out of nowhere.

Llama: Some late set energy.  Trey cuts off Page's organ solo, :hereitisyousentimentalbastard   Blazing version.

Something: Here's a nice treat.  They do a pretty good job with it, except for Trey botching the solo.  Thank God they had Page sing it.

Guyute: Not the tightest version.

Freebird: Nice.  I'm a fan.

Well, I certainly liked the second set better than the first, but overall I really wasn't into this one all that much.  There were a couple of highlights but the show didn't have any flow and it wasn't very well played.  There just didn't seem to be any one thing that made up for all the faults.  Just not my type of show.  I'll give it a C.

G. Augusto

Welp...after catching some great shows down in Hampton, I headed back to LI to finish up some papers and study for some finals. Drove to the New Haven show, went backstage, got home mad late/early and had an oral presentation to give at my 8 AM class. Finished my classes and drove up to Albany. I was beat and this was not the show I was hoping for....

PYITE - Extended intro and actually a very good version! Unfortunately, it was all downhill from here.

My Soul/Roggae - At this point they were channeling 12-28-2009 HARD. I actually like these two songs, so it was still going well.

ACDC - OK version. Crowd was diggin' it.

Lifeboy - Aaaaand WHOOOOOSH! There goes the steam they were building. 1 of 2 versions of the year (I caught both  :wink:) and the last until 02-21-2003 (133 shows) Maybe they shelved it 'cause it's a vibe crusher?

Bowie - Back to biz. They get pretty lost during the composed section. For a nearly 20 minute version, this one does just about nothing, IMO. Really just a flat version. Now the Bowie from Albany in 2000 is an entirely different story...

Sleep/Driver - Standard Fall '98 fare. I actually like them during this Tour. Still fresh and sound great on the acoustic. Big Sleep fan.

GXBX - Trey starts the song with the riff which is pretty cool. OK version and caps the really odd set.

2001 - Alright...let's get this show on track! Nothing crazy, but I never mind a 2001 opener.

Golgi - Aaaaaand WHOOOOOSH! Just when stuff was getting going, it gets not going. And this tune starts off a run of 4 of my least favorite tunes....

Drowned - Not the biggest fan of the song, but it would have worked better out of the 2001. Actually, this is played well and prolly better than any 'oo - 'o9 version. Jam doesn't do much.

Caspian - Aaaaand WHOOOOOOSH! Talk about an up-and-down set.

Piper - Some more WHooSH for me. Short version with the old ending, which I like.

YEM - Pretty good composed section. Nothing too notable on this one (I really hate this show, huh?) Guess the lights were cool during the vocal jam, tho....

Stealin' - Kinda wish they left this at Alpine (where they nailed it.) The 4 other versions weren't as polished as the debut. BUT, one cool thing about this show is the back-to-back appearance of the trampolines!

Llama -  Hadn't closed a second set since 11-18-1996 (killer 2001!) Trey cuts off Page's opening solo a little early. Fish is going off. Pretty rippin' version but a little too late....

Something - Another one that should have been a one-timer. The Greek was a pretty special versions and the 3 others were a little rusty. Last time played.

Guyute - I'm pretty sure I had one foot out the door by now...

Freebird - Resurrected after the Shoreline acoustic shows.

Not a fan of this, but I appreciate the pick.
I give it a C-
a

pnchundi

guess not too many of us wanted to review this one?

susep

Quote from: pnchundi on March 31, 2010, 08:44:21 AM
guess not too many of us wanted to review this one?

sorry bro, I still have 3 shows to review: SF's pick, my own and yours.  Sorry for the delay. 

Marmar

This show was a DUD......

I was there....and I vaguely remember the aqua/blue/green lights during Roggae really trippin me out...the nasty RED to emphasize the evil Bowie......the lights in YEM V/J flipping around and around and around and vibrating.....Steelin was a decent treat.....

Other than that, I can remember this being the first show where it felt "different" to me.....like something changed, and not for the better......now that I think back on it, the whole fall felt that way to me.....so much so that this was my last show till Oswego......even though I didn't do many shows that fall, I felt like I needed a break after this one......
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

rowjimmy

I listened to it twice last week but never got a chance to write it up. Partially because I think I'm a little burned out on Phish altogether, right now...  :|

So... in a nutshell:
Quote from: G. Augusto on March 29, 2010, 05:53:19 PM
Welp...after catching some great shows down in Hampton, I headed back to LI to finish up some papers and study for some finals. Drove to the New Haven show, went backstage, got home mad late/early and had an oral presentation to give at my 8 AM class. Finished my classes and drove up to Albany. I was beat and this was not the show I was hoping for....

PYITE - Extended intro and actually a very good version! Unfortunately, it was all downhill from here.

My Soul/Roggae - At this point they were channeling 12-28-2009 HARD. I actually like these two songs, so it was still going well.

ACDC - OK version. Crowd was diggin' it.

Lifeboy - Aaaaand WHOOOOOSH! There goes the steam they were building. 1 of 2 versions of the year (I caught both  :wink:) and the last until 02-21-2003 (133 shows) Maybe they shelved it 'cause it's a vibe crusher?

Bowie - Back to biz. They get pretty lost during the composed section. For a nearly 20 minute version, this one does just about nothing, IMO. Really just a flat version. Now the Bowie from Albany in 2000 is an entirely different story...

Sleep/Driver - Standard Fall '98 fare. I actually like them during this Tour. Still fresh and sound great on the acoustic. Big Sleep fan.

GXBX - Trey starts the song with the riff which is pretty cool. OK version and caps the really odd set.

2001 - Alright...let's get this show on track! Nothing crazy, but I never mind a 2001 opener.

Golgi - Aaaaaand WHOOOOOSH! Just when stuff was getting going, it gets not going. And this tune starts off a run of 4 of my least favorite tunes....

Drowned - Not the biggest fan of the song, but it would have worked better out of the 2001. Actually, this is played well and prolly better than any 'oo - 'o9 version. Jam doesn't do much.

Caspian - Aaaaand WHOOOOOOSH! Talk about an up-and-down set.

Piper - Some more WHooSH for me. Short version with the old ending, which I like.

YEM - Pretty good composed section. Nothing too notable on this one (I really hate this show, huh?) Guess the lights were cool during the vocal jam, tho....

Stealin' - Kinda wish they left this at Alpine (where they nailed it.) The 4 other versions weren't as polished as the debut. BUT, one cool thing about this show is the back-to-back appearance of the trampolines!

Llama -  Hadn't closed a second set since 11-18-1996 (killer 2001!) Trey cuts off Page's opening solo a little early. Fish is going off. Pretty rippin' version but a little too late....

Something - Another one that should have been a one-timer. The Greek was a pretty special versions and the 3 others were a little rusty. Last time played.

Guyute - I'm pretty sure I had one foot out the door by now...

Freebird - Resurrected after the Shoreline acoustic shows.

Not a fan of this, but I appreciate the pick.
I give it a C-
a

THIS.

Except that I wasn't at the show, didn't have school or any of that stuff in the beginning.

Thank you for the pick. I did not remember how I felt about this show  when I heard it in early 99 until now.

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

justjezmund

11/25/98
Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY

I

PYITE - always a great opener.  I like

My soul - I used to really like this song but now it kinda annoys me. 

Roggae - Im a fan but certainly not the best ive heard.

ACDC - some signs of energy

Lifeboy - and like that, its gone

Bowie - I liked it but once again ive heard better.

Sleep - :tte:

Driver - ^^^

GTBT - what happened there trey?  Still plays nice.

II

2001 - I like how this set starts.  Cool funk>

Golgi - really? don't get me wrong I like Golgi, but not out of Zarathustra.

Drowned - Def has its moments, page just owns this though.  And mike sounds f'n phenomenal.

Caspian - not my fav song but its not terrible.

Piper - played well, def coulda went deeper though.

YEM - composed section done well. Cool groove in the jam section. And mike lets loose a bit I think here.  Nicely done.

Been caught stealing - Janes addiction :rawk: love the song and its played well also = enjoyed.

Llama - Energy close to the end.  It rips.

E
Something - I F'N LOVE ABBEY ROAD! Sung awesomely but not the best they have played it (10/29/98) but still enjoy it :clap:

Guyute - I don't know what it is but I really still cant get into this song.  Played well but just don't get it.

Freebird - One of the cooler acapellas they do fo sho.  Im a fan.

Show def had cool parts but it def had lots of "musical blue ball" moments of energy drops.  I dug the bowie, been caught, and of course something.  Not a bad show just not a fav imo.  Still good to listen to on this easter afternoon.  I give it a C
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

Caravan2001

ooofah....still owe a review for this!  FULLY spaced it...I'll get on it stat....

Superfreakie

Quote from: caravan2001 on April 16, 2010, 08:30:30 PM
ooofah....still owe a review for this!  FULLY spaced it...I'll get on it stat....

::SF sheepishly raises hand as well::
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Gumbo72203

Man....   

I'll write up a full review later, but man...  I remember this being the first time I was ever disappointed after downloading a Phish show.  The setlist looked fucking EPIC for this...  I mean, 2001 > Golgi, Drowned -> Caspian > Piper, YEM, Stealing, Llama?!???!??

But then.....      ...     ???    ...             

I specifically remember being vastly disappointed by A) the Drowned and B) the short Piper.  Then it was like "Hey lets do 3 straight crowd pleasers and maybe they'll forget"
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Caravan2001

Sorry this review is  late (and short)...I listened to it pretty critically (6 months ago), but can;t recall specifics...I remember that nothing really stuck out for me.....I was at this show and remember the Been Caught Stealing...First set starts hot, but is pretty pedestrian...I like the song selection, but nothing blew me away, even the GTBT, which I always fluff....Even with Guyute, the encore is good, because of SOmething.....I only saw it here and Cinci, I like the CInci one better but still.....This whole tour was fun, and most of 11/98 is hot as hell, but this one has a hard time matching up to Cinci, Hampton, New Haven, the other Albany and others IMO....I give it a B-, just cause it's Albany and the Knick runs will always hold a special place in my heart....