News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R6/W02: 07-16-1998 The Gorge Ampitheatre, George, WA

Started by G. Augusto, December 14, 2008, 05:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Augusto

Alex!!!

Quote from: pnchundi on January 26, 2009, 08:31:01 AM
coil- great spot as the opener.  Has this been done before o-great statistician? Real fire.

Quote from: G. Augusto on December 16, 2008, 07:15:50 PM
Coil - Only the 3rd time (and last) that it was used as a show opener.

:wink:

pnchundi

im back bitches... going to be playing catch up for awhile. 

G. Augusto

Quote from: pnchundi on January 26, 2009, 08:51:33 AM
im back bitches... going to be playing catch up for awhile. 

Good stuff.
I'll add you to the end of the list.
a

pnchundi

Hicks

FIRST SHOW IN 4 AND A HALF YEARS EDITION!

This show took place on my 22 birthday, I should have made the 5 hour drive to this one but hindsight is 20/20, oh well.  Let's get into it:

Squirming Coil:  Unusual, but I really like this in the opening slot, sets up that summertime vibe that many have mentioned.  Minor Trey flubs in the typical spots, but I liked how Mike and Fish stuck around a little bit longer than usual for the Page outro, which was well played as always. 

NICU:  PLAY IT LEO!!!!  Always a fun one early in the first set, goes especially well with outdoor venues.

Stash:  awwww yeah, first set heat!  Trey gets to noodling pretty good and Page lays down a solid foundation on the grand.   Pretty shreddy at the end, nothing truly nutso, but a sweet taste of the epicness to come.

Reba:  Snaps, you in some shit now!  This set is really starting to take off at this point.  Laid back summer funk at it's best and the Page outro is sublime.  Probably not my favorite Reba but certainly a contender for top ten. 

FEFY:  Can you say perfect placement?  This was the only time it was played in 1998, which makes this version that much cooler.  I really like the languid quality of it too, nobody is in a hurry, just chillin' yo.  "Mind if I do a j?"

Circus:  can't win them all I suppose.

Antelope:  WTF is that high pitched sound in the intro?  Almost sounds like somebody's playing a melodica.  Trey busts some steel guitar-like licks too and the beginning of this keeps the laid back vibe going really nicely.  It eventually brings the typical Antelope heat with Trey trilling the f out of the high notes and then bringing the funk for the rye rye rocco section like many post 97 versions.  A solid closer to a great set.

First set is a no brainer A. 

Moma:  What's not to love about a Moma opener?  Nice clav work by Page, the singing along with the leads is more painful than usual, sometimes I wish they would have left the part as an instrumental. 

Piper:  Pretty short, aight I suppose but it pales in comparison to a 99 or 2000 Piper.

Axilla:  meh

David Bowie:  Nice long intro with Trey having some fun with the delay pedal, I like it when he uses that super fast setting.  The mellow vibe returns once again in the middle section with Trey laying down some jazzy leads over Page's piano flourishes.  Fish is laying it back and again no one is in a rush, which is refreshing.  Slides into the closing section smoothly without forcing it, pretty sweet Bowie. 

Tube:  Hot damn!  Gets spacey pretty quick and by the three minute mark or so Page is laying down the trippy synths all over the place.  Then he moves over to the grand which sounds so good throughout this show aaaand back to the clav again for some more funk action, yeah dude!  Sick little solo from Mike too.  Sounds like Trey biffed the lyrics but apparently his mic went out, either way pretty funny.  I think I like the next week's Phoenix version a little better, but whateves.  Right into . . .

Slave:  Fuck yeah, Bowie, Tube>Slave to the close the set?  Are you kidding me?  The quiet middle section fits right in with the mood once again and sounded particularly sweet to me on this special afternoon.  Really warm organ tone from Page at the end too.

Sample:  Can't really complain about it after a run of late second set songs like that one. 

It's pretty hard not to love a show like this, hearing the song selection and the style in which they are played really makes you feel like you are right there on the cliffs enjoying it as it happened.  Sure there are no real "epic" jams here, except for the Reba, but everything just falls into place so perfectly that this one is a real enjoyable listen.  I need to get this one into my summer time listening rotation this year as I'm sure with a brew on a hot day this one will sound even better.  Gotta give the whole show an A. Thanks fer the pick Aug! 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Gumbo72203

Wow...  I have never listened to this first set before.  I've had the 2nd set on CD forever, and i listen to it fairly frequently. 

The Reba is sick.  It wasn't quite the lingering, lovily-long-lasting, lusciously loop-laden load like lots led listeners, likely, to believe, but still good.

i definitely dug the whole sequence of Reba > FEFY > Circus.  FEFY > Circus was especially de-lish; and i SWEAR i hear Page trying to tease, or coax Trey into playing, Lizards at the end of FEFY. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

jedifunk

oh, but you're wrong... the Reba is exactly that... its a top 5 version IMO
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

VA $l!m

Quote from: jedifunk on April 09, 2009, 02:21:03 PM

wow. quite a statement.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Gumbo72203

Quote from: jedifunk on April 09, 2009, 02:21:03 PM

haha i wasn't saying it wasn't good; i loved it.  I was just expecting like, a 12/12/99 Drowned/any 2000 Piper kinda thing with lots of loops going over the funk.  The loops here are wayyy subdued.  and I'm not knocking it at all; i'm just describing it.  I like how like, it slowly works its way into a Trey solo.  like, his playing just fluidly flows forward from flawless funky fun up into solo lead lines.  I remember listening to it, and it was early in the jam, and then all of a sudden, a few minutes past, and i hadn't been listening to it that intently, and then all of a sudden i was like wtf, Trey's soloing? 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again