News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R2/W03: 03-14-1993 Western State College Gym, Gunnison, CO

Started by rowjimmy, February 24, 2008, 08:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

:lol:

Only in the Phish community would having heard 300+ shows be deemed inadequate! 

Sure, I suppose I could bestow a pick upon the club.    :wink:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

shoreline99

First set is solid,  Sparkle, Stash and Sample. Love the Guelah, but I always like that song. Nice Loving Cup opener.

Second set is an explosion. The YEM and jam are fantastic. Great Rift and a wonderful Coil. Page on the Grand. As has been said, the YEM is smoking and is really the centerpiece of the set. Love the Golgi to finish it off as well.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

pnchundi

The soundcheck- It is always fun to hear a soundcheck, either for songs not normally played or just different versions (ie tempo/jams) of some regular songs

Loving CupA little sloppy but lots of energy
FoamAgain a little loose in the early section, but Trey just rips
Guelah The band tightens up here going through all the different composed sections
Sparkle Fun fast early version
Stash Great stash.  Trey sounds like he is having fun as you can hear him scatting along at various points to his solos
Paul and Silas There is not a lot you can do with this song, it is pretty straight forward, but it provides a good breather from the stash and is fast and furious.
Sample Good sample, nice to hear the song still in its early days
Reba Great reba.  Where's RockingHamilitons with my Hopslams? Trey rips at the end, and Mike is solid
Cameron's Indian War DanceWho is Cameron? I thought it was another name for Fish, but when he joins in for the Bag It Tag Its, he sounds like someone's little brother?
Punch Great early version and a good segue way into
Jim Good way to end the set, lots of energy from everyone, Trey continues to have fun with a solid solo

Halley's Great way to start the second set, everyone is up and moving
Bowie oh really, its going to be like that? This Bowie is nice, exploring different sections while never really straying from the main themes. 
Curtis Lowe One of the few times performed, just a great cover song
YEM This is a great YEM, which slowly builds up before exploding near the end.  Amazing teases from from everyone, Owner of a Broken Heart, Low Rider, Spooky, and more.  The vocal jam is great too with more teases and snippets from Queen to Floyd.  Did you hear Trey start laughing when Fish starts in with the pirate speak? Hilarious!
LifeboyI used to not really like this song but now wish it was played more.  It starts off slowly, but there is a really tasteful duel solo at the end (first page then trey)
Big Ball Jamfun if you were there, does not really translate well
Great Gig in the Sky>HYHU Henrietta doesnt get any better than this!
Squirming Coil solid version of Coil with Page on really pretty ending solo

For the encore I am seeing several different songs depending on which medium you reference, but I only had Golgi on this recording.  Good ending to a fantastic show.  I love old first sets like theses where you have several different jam vehicles each of which take things in different directions.  But the second set is where it is at, with the Bowie and killer Yem!