News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R2/W04: 07-31-1997 Shoreline Amphitheater, Mountain View, CA

Started by sophist, March 02, 2008, 08:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 04, 2008, 03:24:35 PM
BTW- I have to call "Foul" on this pick
No Stash, Sample or Sparkle... wtf?

Yeah, what he said.  This is clearly against the rules!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sophist

I didn't know I was runnin' with the squares  :wink:
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Hicks

Quote from: Sophist on March 04, 2008, 03:22:22 PM
Set II

Runaway Jim- 
the jam starts off normal and develops slowly into this dark theme, and also contains some
funky jamming throughout the jam.  Very original version of the song, and one of the more experimental
Jims in my opinion. 

Circus-
standard version but always a treat.  Nice version and placement. 

Vultures-
standard

McGrupp-
unfinished version, nice playing by the boys. 

Mike's Song -> Hydrogen -> Weekapaug-
This is the highlight of the set for me.  Great version.

Cinnamon Girl-
meh

Second set is a 8/10 as well for me.  Overall this show is a solid B for me. 
d00d, you rated your own pick as a B?  WTF??!! 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mattstick

Quote from: jedifunk on March 04, 2008, 09:43:28 AM

- btw, not a big fan of shoreline... i've always felt it was an overhyped venue... and that the shows have always been average.

Molson Ampitheatre is way cooler!

sophist

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on March 04, 2008, 06:04:35 PM
Quote from: Sophist on March 04, 2008, 03:22:22 PM
Set II

Runaway Jim- 
the jam starts off normal and develops slowly into this dark theme, and also contains some
funky jamming throughout the jam.  Very original version of the song, and one of the more experimental
Jims in my opinion. 

Circus-
standard version but always a treat.  Nice version and placement. 

Vultures-
standard

McGrupp-
unfinished version, nice playing by the boys. 

Mike's Song -> Hydrogen -> Weekapaug-
This is the highlight of the set for me.  Great version.

Cinnamon Girl-
meh

Second set is a 8/10 as well for me.  Overall this show is a solid B for me. 
d00d, you rated your own pick as a B?  WTF??!! 

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

I put this on on my flight today.

Knocked me out cold.
I don't remember a bit of it. That can't be good.

shoreline99

listened to this while working today, gonna play it again tomorrow and jot my thoughts down.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

bluecaravan521

I.

Ghost: Funky and tight version. Great to hear everybody taking a shot at leading the jam through, nice groove throughout, and nicely led by Mike at the end into another funky section.  Great work and segue  >

Ya Mar: I always love this one.  Cool but standard Page solo, wish Trey had called for Leo, but i suppose that's a petty complaint :p Jam starts off nicely and soon breaks down with Fish holding a tight beat, and the build up from there ~7 was nice.  Mike's little solo was great, really helping to shape this jam away from original groove. Tightttt palm muting by Trey, cool omniscient keys in by Page, starting to give the jam a bit of a darker feel, very jungle-like.  The jungle thing builds with relative intensity, great playing by all, gets dark for a while and then is 'led into the light' by our red-headed messiah.  Great keyboard effects and general evil craziness to lead out of the song.  I think this should be a -> as well.

Dogs Stole Things: I loveee the way they came into this song, and for a song I generally don't like it comes out of the gate kickin'.  Pretty standard, cool solo by Trey...

Limb by Limb: Standard, tight, good song - Great soloing by Trey.  Funny ending. :lol:

Dirt: Glad to hear this one, been loving it lately.  Very emotional feel as usual, well played by Trey.

Maze: Tight right off the bat, great ambiance by Trey/Page.  Really picks up steam in the jam... Page's solo really gets intense in some parts aided by Trey.  Good Trey solo.

Glide: Nothing special but nice to hear.

I Saw It Again: Nice and powerful, not much to say about it.

YEM: Pretty good YEM, and though I was a little distracted while listening, it sounded like a solid but not standout version.  I like the way Trey sings over his lines at the end, and how the vocal jam slowly forms this way.

Overall this set gets a B+.  Set 2 to come.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

pnchundi

just pulling the show now, i will post a review this weekend.  Thanks for letting me play

pnchundi

Ghost Nice, dark and deeply funky, Mike sounds great.  Nice solo work by Trey. Just a hint of the cowfunk that was coming in the fall
Yamargreat version, with a cool jam at the end.  This song always reminds me of dancing waaay out in the lawn as the afternoon light is starting to fade as dusk is sitting in
Dogs Stole Things good version with more energy than usual.  And as someone who has 5 animals, it raises some real concerns, like what does happen at night when I am sleeping?
Limb by Limbback up and dancing.  Trey shines, but Page is right there with him. Trey joking on Fish at the end for not quite gettting the drumbeat makes me  :-D
Dirt solid take, slows down the momentum,  great solo at the end
MazeExplosive start to finish
Glide Always fun to hear, love the tri-tones
I Saw it Again just fun
YemGetting a Yem at the end of a lengthy first set is just a treat, and this one is a monster, 30 mins. The early part is average, and the jams wander at points but never loses focus completely.  Vocal jam is just okay

Jim One of the better Jims I have heard in awhile, and for any Jim haters out there (I know there are some) I challenge you with this version.  After about 8 mins, any sign of the song structure is gone as they boys are wandering and exploring.
CircusAverage take, but we needed a breather and Trey has a nice solo
VulturesI really like this song, lots of energy from everyone
McGruppGood version, Page sounds fantastic
Mikes>H2>Groovethe only thing in my notes is "the heat"   I think I heard a Happy Bday tease from Trey somewhere in the groove

cinnamon girlnot my favorite Neil Young song.  Their take on it is okay, but after that great show we needed something else, maybe a Loving Cup or Llama