News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

24 bit?

Started by AfterMidnight, October 19, 2007, 03:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

To help understand bits and bit rate let's discuss in simple volume vs time.  Let's say there's a single tone going "oooooooooooooo..."  Let's say that over time, it's fluctuating in volume.  Let's set that time at 1 second.  First, bitrate.  When recording to a device, you set the recording to a certain level...  In this case let's say 24bit/48kHz.  So over that single second, your device is going to split that second into 48,000 pieces, every piece being 48,000ths of a second long.  Every sample is made up of bits, and the more bits, the better description of the volume.  Think of the extreme (a single bit), it's either on or off, you can describe the sound as loud or not loud.  Now think of 2 bits, there are 4 combinations (00, 01, 10, 11) so you can describe the volume as off, low, medium, loud.  Every bit you add multiplies the number of ways to describe the sound by 2.  Therefore, storing your data as 16 vs. 24 bit, you take a hit in filesize by 1.5 (16x1.5=24), but your resolution jumps from  65536 to 1677216.  every sample is 256 times more descriptive than the 16 bit.

Just like taking more samples every second increases your resolution, so does taking a more descriptive sample.  In fact, Whereas a single bit can increase the resolution of the sample by 2, you have to double the kHz to see the same increase in quality.

Bottom line is if you have the means to store or listen to your stuff that way, then do it in the highest possible quality.  If not, then do what you can.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Marmar

to answer your question sparks....

16bit is the resolution intended for: CD (regular PCM and DTS 5.1 discs) and MP3

24bit is the resolution intended for: DVD-A/SACD, DVD-V

Yes, you can only burn 16bit files to CD....and it's unlikely that your mp3 player can accept 24bit files.....I'd be willing to bet your computer's sound card isn't even 24bit......

So unless you have a DVD-A player, or a networked audio device with 24bit playback abilities.....you're better off sticking with 16bit......
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Mr Minor

Marmar- Thanks for the info.  I figured it was that easy, but I wanted to be sure before downloading some 24bit shows...

Sparks

Marmar

no prob man.....

much easier to nip it in the bud than it is to try and explain the steps involved in converting from 24>16 bit......
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

VA $l!m

nice thread. i've been meaning to get on the 24 bit train...
since i DO have the playback capabilities.

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-