News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W13: 08-13-1997 Star Lake Amphitheatre, Burgettstown, PA

Started by whatapiper, August 07, 2006, 03:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

i hadn't listened to this show for awhile before today.
and it is a weird one, huh? peculiar setlist and flow, as already mentioned.
yet i like it quite a bit.
despite the odd song choices and placement, the show as a whole works for me.
not one of the best ever or anything, but i like that it's different and still effective.

Amoreena-- great song! too bad no one here knows/likes it! they really do a great job on it, too. wish they'd kept this one around. seriously, check out Dog Day Afternoon, great movie that opens with this song. you might end up digging it more...
Stash-- rages with all the funky glory of summer '97.
Water-- i like the old version. the new version too, at times.
Gumbo-- nice long groove. doesn't quite go anywhere the way the best gumbos do, but it's still a nice little trip
Horse/Silent-- i like these here.
Crosseyed-- kickass funkified version.
etc.

Jim is okay.
Ghost-- kind of like gumbo in that i like it while it's happening, but it doesn't really go anywhere.
Izabella-- segue has a moment of shakiness, but then it turns into a solid version.
Monkey/McGrupp-- i happen to like both of these songs, and they both sound good here.
Sample-- weird spot, yet it comes out of McGrupp really nicely, and goes smoothly into:
2001-- excellent version.
Golgi/Frank-- upbeat ending. normally i'd like a big fat monsterous set ender. still, for this weird show it seemed appropriate.
Theme-- i love this as an encore. the encore version from 9.12.99 is one of my favorite versions. this one is really good, too.

so yeah. there aren't any absolute must-hears in here (aside from the novelty of amoreena), yet overall i enjoyed this show a lot. go figure.

Hicks

Alright, I'm back to set the record straight y'all. 

My Schoeps CMXY-4V source sounds a bit muffly, nothing my EQ couldn't take care of on the big system in the basement, but it sounds like dook on the boombox for the relisten as I type, oh well, beggars can't be choosers. 

Amoreena:  This is pretty cool, Page does a really good job on the vocals.  Actually a one timer in the opening slot and they do a good job of playing and singing it is a major kickdown IMO.

Poor Heart:  I'll say this, if Phish is gonna play bluegrass I'd definitely rather hear their originals like this or MSO.

Stash:  The real start of the show, this is without a doubt an above average Stash.  I like the way it avoids the usual dissonance jam and stays mellow for most of the jam.  The laid back quality to it is very atypical for the tune.  Susep has me thinking about jazz, I have to say there is a more prominent jazziness to this version than most, mostly because it avoids rocknroll over the top shredding by Trey for the most part.  I really dug this one, listened to it a few times today actually.

Water in the Sky:  It's cool, I like the new flowy version better, this one seems like a bit of a novelty with it's blantant "steeped in old timiness" sound.  It's still early enough in the first set for this to work well though, IMO.

Gumbo: Maybe not the best version of the song, but definitely in the top ten, maybe even top five.  Big fan of this song, btw.  I thought it really complimented the Stash well, as both jams were prominently mellow, but came with an icing of funk.  Actually at points both of these reminded me of Manteca, going back to the whole jazz thing again.  The groove was fat, but on the d/l still, I like how Page tried out a lot of different sounds during the jam.  Not all of them worked, but it was cool to hear him explore a bit.  The jam at around the ten minute mark was particularly schmoov, and the ending was an absolutely gorgeous kind of "proto-ambient" jam, that kind of melted into:

Horse>Silent: I love these tunes, and welcome them anywhere in a set, although they are best as closers.  I guess what I'm trying to say is they may have disrupted the flow of the set for others, but I thought they were a great choice because I'm me.

Beauty:  :banana:

Crosseyed: First off I don't know what was up with Trey between versus, it was like he deliberately wouldn't play the fast riff normally, but whatever.  Once the jam got going it picked right up where Gumbo left off and kept things light and floaty.   Nice version, but really I never met a C&P that wasn't off the charts, this felt a bit unique in matching up with the mellow tone of the set.  Trey sounded like he was gonna go into Cavern for a second, but then:

Wilson>Drummer Boy:  Just to make sure nobody fell asleep out there, and remind them this is a rocknroll show, love the drummer boy ending. 

Actually I'm gonna have to totally disagree with everyone and say that there is a great flow here, with an especially coherent theme of mellow funk running through the three "big" songs of the set, and that they enhance each other through the summation of their parts.  Really if the theme here is easygoing groove, then even the "throw away" songs of Beauty, Water, and Horse>Silent work toward the overall vibe masterfully.  Sure the set may have been better if had just been Stash>Gumbo>Crosseyed in the middle, but I'm still gonna give it an A.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

jonyem

Just finished listening, so i'll take a stab.
I enjoyed this show, but then, i rarely don't!

Amoreena - Throw away song. Like a fair number of one timers.
Poor Heart - adequate
Stash - Now we're talking! I got lost during this one.
Water in the Sky - Good song, it's one of those that would be just fine as a studio album only song, but it's not awful.
Gumbo - Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Gumbo!
The Horse->Silent in the Morning - Probably one of my all time favorite's. This is a good one, even thought it doesn't deviate much, if at all.
Beauty of My Dreams - Good tune, but probably fits into the song list of lesser bar bands better than Phish.
Crosseyed and Painless – OH YEAH! Always love this one, i think it's their best TH cover.
Wilson-> Just good ol' King Wilson, doin' his thing.
Little Drummer Boy - Little Jonny Fishman doin' HIS thing.
Sweet Adeline - I'd love it better if i could hear it.

Set 2
Runaway Jim - Great way to start a set.
Ghost-> A good ghost (which are many) always makes for a great set.
Izabella - Never been a fan of this tune, Jimi's or Phish's
Sleeping Monkey - I love the goofy stuff, so this is a fav.
McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters - decent.
Sample in a Jar - Good, but felt out of place.
2001 - Always a favorite.
Golgi Apparatus - I think this was the stand out song from this show for me.
Frankenstein - typical.

Encore: Theme From the Bottom - typical.

Overall, strong B+

jedifunk

jonyem

how can you call amoreena a throw away, and then 2 lines later give props to water in the sky?

yet another example of differing opinions... i love elton john, and this amoreena rules...
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jonyem

Just my opinion.
Amoreena just does nothing for me. Regardless of my dislike of Elton.
Water in the Sky is a good song, but it's out of place in the live setting. That's what i should have said. And it's probably no surprise that I'm also a Velvet Sea fan. (But again, not so much in the live setting).

Yep, differing opinions, that's what being a music fan is all about.

jedifunk

i'm a velvet sea fan also, but would consider water a "throw away" during almost any set... except for any raleigh, nc show where is rains ;)
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

gainesvillegreen

^^ and ^^^

Ha!  You both are crazier than rats in tin shithouses.   :-D
Water In The Sky is good stuff both on the album and in a live setting.  Lots of Page throughout (his intro to every version is a bright spot at any show), and Trey usually takes a pretty good solo (7/10/99 comes to mind..see the recent topic on that show). 

Ah, to each his or her own!  :wink:

I am going to get around and contribute a review at some point..instead of just my mindless dribble up to this stage.  Promise.

jonyem

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on August 09, 2006, 04:20:59 PM
Ha!  You both are crazier than rats in tin shithouses.   :-D

I'm giving you a karma point for that one  :wink:

I guess my thing about Water in the Sky is that it can (not always) drag a set's momentum down. But, I still dig it.

jephrey

Jim - I liked it.  Pretty striaght forward, nice and jammy.
Ghost - I've been inactively searching for my favorite Ghost.  This one has the possibility, but it doesn't have the length, or the amount of changes that my favorite would have.  It did have a VERY sick jam though.  Awesome. >
Izabella - Always liked this cover with correct or incorrect lyrics.  It's a rocker that rocks.  This set is shaping up nice.
Sleeping Monkey - A reasonable place to slow it down, but an unusual placement for this tune...  I guess I'll have to wait a couple songs to see if it actually works well here.  It's all about context.
Mcgrupp - With this up, I like the Monkey placement.  I'm actually diggin' the phlow. This McGrupp is very mellow in an "out in a field in gamehenge" sort of way with some really cool piano IMO.  This is a really sweet Mcgrupp.  Maybe a favorite version.
Sample - It was one of the first songs I learned to play on guitar so I like it.  But then, it seems to "basic" at times.  However, I'm ok with it here.  Good time for a mainstream crowd pleaser and a cigarette.
2001 - Is it?  Is it?  YES!!! A GREAT segue into this.  It could have easily gone into What's The Use which would have been cool, but 2001 is more than welcome here.  AWESOME version.  Nice and long and groovy.
Golgi - Cool.  Nothing grand.
Frankenstein - boss came by during the beginning of this but it didn't phase me.  I'm still rockin' out.  Standard, but I like the tune.  And it was played well.  I'm down with this ending.
Theme - Diggin' the placement of this as an encore.  Nice.

I really liked the second set.  Flow and all.  Some stuff I really liked in there.  First set, IMO, wasn't as good, but still good.  Using previous shows of the week, this is among my favorites.  4.3/5.0 A/A-

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

August

this is gonna be one of the first shows of the week to be up and down.
all the others have a general consensus as to its like-ability...
i might like to see more of these kind of shows.
maybe not....
i am drunk.
a

jonyem

Quote from: august on August 09, 2006, 04:56:30 PM
this is gonna be one of the first shows of the week to be up and down.
all the others have a general consensus as to its like-ability...
i might like to see more of these kind of shows.
maybe not....
i am drunk.
a

Drunk or not, i do like to see more debate.

jedifunk

Quote from: jephrey on August 09, 2006, 04:52:03 PM
2001 - Is it?  Is it?  YES!!! A GREAT segue into this.  It could have easily gone into What's The Use which would have been cool, but 2001 is more than welcome here.  AWESOME version.  Nice and long and groovy.

whats the use wasnt around in 1997 :roll:
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

August

Quote from: jedifunk on August 09, 2006, 05:25:12 PM
Quote from: jephrey on August 09, 2006, 04:52:03 PM

whats the use wasnt around in 1997 :roll:

FIRST AMOREENA WAS PLAYED TWICE, NOW WHATS THE USE? IN 97...
MAN...JEFF.
:|
A

jephrey

^ I know, but wouldn't it be great if it was?  It just really sounded like it could have fell right into it.  Maybe I should mix that up and see.  Hmm, I'll send myself an email and put it in my ToDo list or Notes.  Oh wait...

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jephrey

amoreena / corrina.  They sound similar  :wink:

And I wasn't saying it was a possiblity to go into WTU, I was just saying it had the sound that would have catered well to that if it was possible.

Go get me a juice box biatch!

Jephrey