News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP Rutger Hauer

Started by mopper_smurf, July 24, 2019, 01:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopper_smurf

The greatest Dutch actor is no more, You guys all know (and love) Blade Runner, right?

QuoteActor Rutger Hauer, who starred in 1982's Blade Runner, has died at the age of 75.

His agent confirmed the star died in the Netherlands on Friday after a short illness.

Hauer played the murderous replicant Roy Batty in Blade Runner, which was directed by Ridley Scott and also starred Harrison Ford.

The actor's funeral was held on Wednesday.

Hauer's character gave a famous speech during a climatic face-off with Ford at the end of Blade Runner, dialogue which he helped write himself.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe," he is seen telling Ford. "Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Hauer is quoted as telling an interviewer his character - who had only a four year lifespan - wanted to "make his mark on existence".

"The replicant in the final scene, by dying," he said, "shows Deckard what a real man is made of."

Hauer was particularly well known for horror and vampire roles, starring as Van Helsing in Dracula 3D, and as the vampire Barlow in Salem's lot - a 2004 mini series of the Stephen King novel.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49098435

I visited a couple of his lectures on acting over the years. A true gentleman who could handle inane and in-depth questions with equal grace.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Hicks

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." 

RIP
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mehead

Love Blade Runner and The Hitcher.

RIP
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

ytowndan

Damn, RIP

I had no idea, btw, that there's a miniseries adaptation of Salem's Lot. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mistercharlie

Loved him in Blade Runner, but The Hitcher is where my mind immediately goes when thinking of him.

RIP.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

khalpin

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 24, 2019, 07:57:40 PM
The Hitcher is where my mind immediately goes when thinking of him.

RIP.

cactusfan

Without Rutger, how could you even consider making Blind Fury or Hobo with a Shotgun?

Also, he is awesome. RIP

His early Dutch movies directed by Paul Verhoeven are also worth seeking out.

birdman

He scared the shit out of me as a kid when I first saw the Hitcher. RIP
Paug FTMFW!