News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

10 Worst Oscar Best Pictures

Started by mattstick, February 18, 2010, 02:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: MiamiPhish on February 22, 2010, 12:22:35 PM
Leon (The Professional) deserved some BP talk, imo, as well.  Ed Wood, which I've heard is great but have never seen, also came out in '94.

My vote:  Dumb and Dumber.  Greatest.  Comedy.  Ever.

I thought that was a foreign film?  Or am I thinking of another...

I kinda think the Usual Suspects got snubbed that year.  Also, I remember rooting for Shawshank during the Oscars, because I like underdogs, not because I didn't like Forrest Gump.

MiamiPhish

I'm probably younger than you (24) but I didn't see Shawshank till waaaaaay after it came out.. maybe even 7 or 8 years after or so.

Forrest, however, I do remember seeing in the theaters.  And I remember a lot of hype about it before I got to see it.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Shawshank got a lot of buzz going for it that year.  Certainly not anywhere near as much as Forrest Gump which had an incredible marketing campaign.  I saw Shawshank on video I think when it came out before the Oscars.  My dad loves Stephen King, so it was pretty much requisite to see the movie.

But yeah, Forrest Gump was on every major talk show and tv news show for months before and after it's release.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on February 22, 2010, 12:27:02 PM
Leon (The Professional) deserved some BP talk, imo, as well.  Ed Wood, which I've heard is great but have never seen, also came out in '94.

I kinda think the Usual Suspects got snubbed that year.  Also, I remember rooting for Shawshank during the Oscars, because I like underdogs, not because I didn't like Forrest Gump.

Usual Suspects is one of my favorite films ever.
Came out in 95
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: slslbs on February 22, 2010, 10:21:00 PM

Usual Suspects is one of my favorite films ever.
Came out in 95

Oops.  My fault.  You're right.  Same with Seven too?  That was like a mini movie renaissance.  So me seriously dope films.

Buffalo Budd

Just caught some of Forrest Gump again tonight.
It rocks, I don't care what anyone says.  :-P
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

kellerb

Quote from: Phishy69 on February 22, 2010, 10:44:51 PM
Is that all you have to say about that?

:wtu:

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: kellerb on February 22, 2010, 11:20:15 PM

You guys are just Forrest Gump Hater Haterz.

mbw

MiamiPhish

ytowndan

Leon, was a great film, imo.  Matter of fact I think I might throw that on this weekend. 

And, yes, it was foreign (French). 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

fauxpaxfauxreal

That's what I thought.  I'm on a French kick lately and have never seen the professional.  I just watched Killing Zoe, so I guess I'll put that one on some time.

(I haven't seen it yet.)

ytowndan

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on February 23, 2010, 02:06:40 AM
That's what I thought.  I'm on a French kick lately and have never seen the professional.  I just watched Killing Zoe, so I guess I'll put that one on some time.

(I haven't seen it yet.)

When you do check it out, make sure you get "Léon: The Professional", not "The Professional".  It has about a half dozen original scenes that were cut from the American theatrical version.  I guess they thought the American audience would feel "awkward" watching those scenes.  I'd explain further, but I don't want to spoil anything.  Anyhow, cutting out those scenes really takes away from what the plot truly is, IMO.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Thanks for the suggestion.  (And for not ignoring me.    :angel:)

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: kellerb on February 22, 2010, 11:20:15 PM

I'm behind in the times with some of these threads but that just made me lol.  :beers:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.