News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

127 Hours

Started by zimbra, November 19, 2010, 03:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zimbra

Supposed to be one of the best films of 2010.  It is the true story of the rock climber who had to amputate his own arm after being lodged in between rocks.  He wears a  :phish: shirt the whole entire movie(the real person is an avid phish phan) .  One of my old high school English teachers told me to go watch it actually and she said it was really well done and that I would like his T. (She actually saw Phish herself back in '97 I believe and knows I'm a phan)... Watching "Enter the Void" as of right now so will hopefully be able to check it out this weekend.  Thought I'd share . 

:phish:

P.S.  This teacher is really f'king HOT btw....
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

JPhishman

Aron Ralston.... hell of a story.

Dunno how great of a movie it will make but +k to him.

:clap:

I'll be checkin it out for sure.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

zimbra

Quote from: JPhishman on November 19, 2010, 03:49:40 AM
Dunno how great of a movie it will make but +k to him.

This.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mistercharlie

I've seen a clip from the movie of him singing Sleeping Monkey. I'll probably check this out when it hits dvd.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

fastfingers12

I really want to see this also. I don't think it's showing anywhere in Oklahoma though.
That's a hundred nineteen to you and me

Buffalo Budd

Props to the guy for surviving and having the mental fortitude to cut his arm off so he could live.  I still think it sounds like a snoozer though.  Didn't Phish send him something or honor him in some way when they heard the story?  I thought I read something about that.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

guyforget

his 1hr special w/ tom brokaw after the incident was pretty intense, dont know if i need to see the film after having seen that, though. 
-AD_

Hicks

I like James Franco.

I like Danny Boyle.

I like Phish.

I will be getting this from Netflix.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

zimbra

- Trey Anastasio

VDB

Just got back from seeing this movie. I'd heard the story before but didn't know this guy was a Phish fan, so those were some pleasant surprises.

It's definitely not a snoozer. It's very intense, actually. A really well done film, and a helluva survivor, that Aron Ralston.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

I watched this last night as well.

Really quite good. I can understand why some folks passed out during some of the early festival screenings.

phil

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 30, 2011, 07:27:18 AM

Really quite good. I can understand why some folks passed out during some of the early festival screenings.

I really want to see this movie. Is it an adaptation of his book? Either way, looks dope.

Just an aside: I have a friend who is a wilderness EMT and refuses to see this movie. He feels that it basically constitutes rewarding someone for being irresponsible (not telling anyone where he was going or how long he would be gone for among other things). While I sort of agree with this sentiment, I still plan on seeing it because James Franco is a badass.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

rowjimmy

Quote from: phil on January 30, 2011, 09:27:50 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on January 30, 2011, 07:27:18 AM

I really want to see this movie. Is it an adaptation of his book? Either way, looks dope.

Just an aside: I have a friend who is a wilderness EMT and refuses to see this movie. He feels that it basically constitutes rewarding someone for being irresponsible (not telling anyone where he was going or how long he would be gone for among other things). While I sort of agree with this sentiment, I still plan on seeing it because James Franco is a badass.

Your wilderness EMT friend is being a judgmental know-it-all without actually knowing a damned thing.

Yes Aron was irresponsible. But that lesson is made perfectly plain in the film. If anything, the film should encourage people to make better decisions such as letting folks know where they're hiking and when they should be back.

Also: bring a sharp knife.

VDB

Quote from: phil on January 30, 2011, 09:27:50 AM

Yes, it is, and according to Aron, an extremely faithful one at that.

Also, I'm confused about the broader extent of your EMT friend's criticism. Does he think Aron should not be "rewarded" because:

1. The guy was irresponsible and therefore needs to continue to be scolded and scorned because of it? If so, that's pretty mean, since, you know, the guy almost died and he lost part of his arm and certainly won't make the same mistake again; or

2. This sets a bad example for other climbers, who may think that if they are irresponsible enough to get stuck alone in the wilderness for days and escape death by cutting off an appendage, they too can score a book and film deal? As rowjimmy points out, this is certainly not the lesson the film makes.

Anyway. Go see the movie.
Is this still Wombat?

ph92

I heard it was great!

I need to go see it. I might just catch it in like 2 months when my school gets it in their mini theater for 2$
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH