News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2012 Election Thread

Started by runawayjimbo, January 03, 2012, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on May 02, 2012, 11:20:48 AM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on May 02, 2012, 10:42:59 AM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on May 02, 2012, 09:48:06 AM
Juan Williams thinks Romney should pick Condi Rice as his running mate.

I admit I don't know a whole heck of lot about her, but... doesn't sound like such a bad play.

How'd that work out last time when they went with a game changing, make-a-statement pick?

Juan is right that she is infinitely more qualified than the previous bimbo

I think you answered the question right there. I wouldn't put Rice and Palin in anywhere near the same league.

No doubt, but the "shock" factor is about the same to me. Not to mention the obvious transparency of the pick (McCain trying to capture disenfranchised Hillary voters, Romney trying to quell the "war on women" and the party of white guy problems).
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VDB

Just think, if the GOP trots out a second female VEEP pick in a row and loses again, they can deftly paint the Democrats as being the real party of sexists!
Is this still Wombat?

twatts

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on May 02, 2012, 09:48:06 AM
Juan Williams thinks Romney should pick Condi Rice as his running mate.

I admit I don't know a whole heck of lot about her, but... doesn't sound like such a bad play.

Condy is a bad ass and Mittens would be wise to ask her...  She would be dumb to go along...  IMO...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

VDB

Quote from: Undermind on May 10, 2012, 11:41:13 AM
Romney being his own dumb self:
http://www.mediaite.com/online/mitt-romney-scolds-reporter-over-marijuana-question-arent-there-issues-of-significance/

This is the Etch-a-Sketch candidate recognizing that some of his positions will be unpopular with moderates and independents, and he's not going to win the election talking about them. He's just going to try and hammer away at the economy the entire time and take the opposite of whatever Obama's foreign-policy positions are. This is his "failed presidency" narrative. Only the most calloused homophobe would consider "endorses gay marriage" to be part of Obama's "failure" as a president.

But yeah, I think it's bullshit for a candidate for national office to refuse to talk about issues that enjoy (any level of) national prominence.
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Let's not forget that marijuana is an economic issue too, the amount of money we waste on enforcement/incarceration and the amount we could be capturing in tax dollars is huge. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

runawayjimbo

I could never vote for a guy who stands with his arms by his side so robotically like that. Gives me the heebie jeebies. I didn't vote for McCain for the same reason, and I'm not about to start now.

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Superfreakie on May 10, 2012, 05:04:04 PM
Good ol' Mitt Romney. I mean c'mon, who didn't pick on gays in high school?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/mitt-romney-apologizes-dumb-things-did-prep-school-152935856.html

The funny part about his apology was that he admits to being a dick, he was just a clueless dick who had no idea the guy was gay.

But, I meant to post the original article in VDB's Fox News thread because I have to know: do you guys see any left leaning bias in an exposé about Romney picking on a gay classmate the day after Obama makes his big announcement? The article doesn't just insinuate, it is reporting as factually accurate that Romney and his "prep school posse" attacked the kid because "he thought did not belong," and that the kid was "perpetually teased for his nonconformity and presumed homosexuality." Please, someone who chastises Fox News for their blatant disregard for journalistic integrity tell me that they can recognize this for the agenda laden hit piece it is. Please.

Superfreakie

Quote from: runawayjimbo on May 10, 2012, 05:45:14 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/mitt-romney-apologizes-dumb-things-did-prep-school-152935856.html

The funny part about his apology was that he admits to being a dick, he was just a clueless dick who had no idea the guy was gay.

But, I meant to post the original article in VDB's Fox News thread because I have to know: do you guys see any left leaning bias in an exposé about Romney picking on a gay classmate the day after Obama makes his big announcement? The article doesn't just insinuate, it is reporting as factually accurate that Romney and his "prep school posse" attacked the kid because "he thought did not belong," and that the kid was "perpetually teased for his nonconformity and presumed homosexuality." Please, someone who chastises Fox News for their blatant disregard for journalistic integrity tell me that they can recognize this for the agenda laden hit piece it is. Please.

For sure, there is little question. Probably had it in the can waiting for the opportune moment to drop it. Let's be clear, Obama is an incredibly ruthless politician and the people he has surrounded himself with, including big business partners, are on equal footing. You don't get to the top without being one. However, while this is agenda ridden, to me that's a rung up on the morality ladder when contrasted against Fox's journalistic integrity lying propaganda.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Hicks on May 10, 2012, 12:30:09 PM
Let's not forget that marijuana is an economic issue too, the amount of money we waste on enforcement/incarceration and the amount we could be capturing in tax dollars is huge.

# 1 cash crop in CA.
major economic issue, imo
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sunrisevt

Quote from: runawayjimbo on May 10, 2012, 12:31:45 PM
I could never vote for a guy who stands with his arms by his side so robotically like that. Gives me the heebie jeebies. I didn't vote for McCain for the same reason, and I'm not about to start now.

McCain gets a pass on that--and the wonky bulging jaw--from me because I'm pretty sure they are partly the result of injuries sustained in combat or prison. Similar story w/ Bob Dole, if you ever noticed; I think one of his arms or hands was paralyzed, basically a club, from an injury in the big one.

Romney, on the other hand, is just a plain stiff.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: sunrisevt on May 10, 2012, 09:09:26 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on May 10, 2012, 12:31:45 PM

McCain gets a pass on that--and the wonky bulging jaw--from me because I'm pretty sure they are partly the result of injuries sustained in combat or prison. Similar story w/ Bob Dole, if you ever noticed; I think one of his arms or hands was paralyzed, basically a club, from an injury in the big one.

Romney, on the other hand, is just a plain stiff.

Prison schmrison. A guy shouldn't have his finger on the button if he can't do a round of high fives in the situation room afterwards.

VDB

Quote from: runawayjimbo on May 10, 2012, 05:45:14 PM

Fair call.

I heard about this on the radio driving home. I'm not sure that dragging up some 65 year old's high school dickbaggery is entirely relevant to a presidential election, especially if what it amounts to is he was part of a clique that wasn't so kind to outsiders. Go ahead and tell me there no decent, admirable adults out there who might have been douches in high school. (I'm not saying that Romney is decent or admirable, just that if he's not, it's not necessarily because of this.)
Is this still Wombat?

sunrisevt

Yeah I don't really like the smells coming off the "Romney as bully" story.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.