News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What's the point of smiting

Started by Hicks, August 17, 2008, 05:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

If it doesn't lower your overall karma count like it did in the old days.

We should bring that back so some of these n00bs will have negative karma. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

ytowndan

I was just thinking about that the other day.  I remembered how it used to be, and I wondered  if this was a new setting, or if SMF switched how the karma thing worked before we brought it back.  Before iirc you only saw the one number. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

sls.stormyrider

it's kinda interesting to see how someone got to their total number (ie 20+, 20- is different than 1+ and 1-)

in the end, it's just 2 #s
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

bluecaravan521

I concur- shows if the person has a love/hate relationship with the 'paug, stuff like that.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

Hicks

Quote from: slslbs on August 17, 2008, 06:54:57 PM
it's kinda interesting to see how someone got to their total number (ie 20+, 20- is different than 1+ and 1-)

in the end, it's just 2 #s

Nah-uuuh if you got 20 smites and 20 karmas, under the old way it would show 0/-20. 
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

MiamiPhish

The fact that anyone over 50 posts can smite/applaud anyone at any time, for any reason, makes the whole karma thing pretty pointless and arbitrary.

Hicks

Well yeah of course it's stupid, I just think smites having no real bearing are even stupider. 

Honestly I liked it better with no smiting, but if we're gonna have it it should have an effect on your total karma.

DoW

why not just say what you disagree with in a civilized manner?
does smiting make people feel better so it doesn't turn into a drama thread?
if so, maybe you can find a new way to deal with annoyances.

like, for example.  what are you talking about Hicks?  if karma means nothing, then what does negative karma prove?
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Hicks

Quote from: bvaz on August 17, 2008, 08:27:21 PM

like, for example.  what are you talking about Hicks?  if karma means nothing, then what does negative karma prove?

karma proves nothing and contrary-wise smiting means negative nothing, unless it doesn't subtract from your karma total, in which case it means less than nothing.   :-)

VA $l!m

i just like being amazed every time i look at FAuxpaux's total smite count.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: bvaz on August 17, 2008, 08:27:21 PM

cause this is the interweb.
civilized rules just don't apply here  :wink:

actually, I agree with you. If you're gonna smite someone own up to it. 
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Ri©h

Quote from: Hicks on August 17, 2008, 08:49:22 PM
karma proves nothing and contrary-wise smiting means negative nothing, unless it doesn't subtract from your karma total, in which case it means less than nothing.   :-)

I'm trying to wrap my mind around "negative nothing".  :lol:

blatboom

Quote from: Rich on August 17, 2008, 11:05:27 PM

gah

what? in the world is smiting anyhow? i get the karma concept here on the site, and i get the karma in life (being hindu especially), but the smiting thing, as defined on the web as "To inflict a heavy blow on, with or as if with the hand, a tool, or a weapon." makes no sense to me. speaking of weapons, anyone seen dub is a weapon? they're great, and headed out on a tour coming to a town near you soon. check em out. listening to 12.29.97 YEM on pandora right now at work....WOW.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

jstepan

Quote from: Rich on August 17, 2008, 11:05:27 PM

its the concept of duality... if you have negitive something, there must be a negitive nothing... i dont know i just post here..  :lol:
Λ Σ Δ
to Use your head... you have to go out of your mind... Dr Tim Leary

one day we'll figure out the mathematical formula that describes the universe, then, our whole reality will dissolve and a sign will pop up that says 'level two'.