News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

guyforget

i'll be the asshole -

rehearsed jams does not equal "fucking back," in my book. 

i listened to last night as quickly as i could (being in the mountain west helps alot), and i think its awesome.  i love zeppelin, i love phish, the chalkdust and tweeze medley are awesome, but...

its not "fucking back" material if what we're looking for is improvisational bliss.  (and i, for one, am.)

i still love last night, but i'm not breaking out my "fucking back" stamp until they really PROVE it. 
-AD_

phil

Quote from: guyforget on October 31, 2010, 01:38:13 PM
i'll be the asshole -

i listened to last night as quickly as i could (being in the mountain west helps alot), and i think its awesome.  i love zeppelin, i love phish, the chalkdust and tweeze medley are awesome, but...

its not "fucking back" material if what we're looking for is improvisational bliss.  (and i, for one, am.)

i still love last night, but i'm not breaking out my "fucking back" stamp until they really PROVE it.

i mostly agree with you. while i'm still waiting for the spontaneity factor, you gotta love last night. i'm not going to complain about something that sounds that good, i'll just hope they continue to build on it
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

VA $l!m

Quote from: guyforget on October 31, 2010, 01:38:13 PM
i'll be the asshole -

werd.
do me a favor Guy , since it seems you are pretty much on the level with how i judge phish these days.
shoot me a PM when "IT" actually happens, so i know its safe to  listen to shows again.
thx.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

Last night's show is a whole lotta awesome.

hate away.

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

sls.stormyrider

I've had fun listening to a lot of shows starting with the Greek.  Greek 3, some of the Co shows, Utica, Manchester, and last night come to mind.
That's not the same as listening for critical analysis, writing a seniors thesis, or looking smart on a message board.
Just having fun.
As much fun as I've had listening to some shows (not all) from the 90s.

fwiw, I checked LP archival releases, many well regarded shows from 94-5 have 0 or 1 tune that clocks in over 15 min.

so yea, I'd like more jams- and I won't say there totally fucking back until they have fewer off nights (but they had those in 1.0 too), but there's plenty to like.
if you look for fuck ups and things to hate,you'll find it.
whatever you're into
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Hicks

They are at the very least "mostly" back.

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

blatboom

mistercharlie

Quote from: slslbs on October 31, 2010, 02:36:35 PM
fwiw, I checked LP archival releases, many well regarded shows from 94-5 have 0 or 1 tune that clocks in over 15 min.

This is kinda how I feel. They're back to what they did in '93. They are playing shows almost on par with that year.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Hicks

Quote from: mistercharlie on October 31, 2010, 02:39:22 PM

This is kinda how I feel. They're back to what they did in '93. They are playing shows almost on par with that year.

Dunno bout that.  93 is in my top three years evar.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

phil

Quote from: Hicks on October 31, 2010, 02:41:57 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on October 31, 2010, 02:39:22 PM

Dunno bout that.  93 is in my top three years evar.

mine, too. might actually be my overall favorite and i wouldn't say they're quite back to playing at that level (consistently anyway, they have reached highs that rival some '93 shit). if they aren't "fucking back" just yet, they are certainly well on their way
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

sls.stormyrider

Love 93.
Not there - yet

getting there.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

thechad

The one thing that I've really been noticing about these shows and the thing that has really been lacking is they aren't playing with sense of urgency.  Back in 1.0 it felt they were forcing themselves to hold back, but it was because people's heads would start to explode, now that sense of urgency is gone from their playing, it just feels like they're holding themselves back because they've lost their confidence.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

susep

I think its funny how peeps say Phish is back or Phish is '93.  Phish are what they are today.  I've accepted who they are and realize they will never be who they were in the past.  Phish is back in the sense of yes they are playing shows and performing again but Phish, the consistent improvisational juggernaut are not.