News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R12/W02: 06-24-1995 Mann Music Center, Philadelphia, PA

Started by runawayjimbo, July 04, 2011, 01:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

This was an easy pick:  my first show. I'll try to listen critically but for me, this will always be the BEST SHOW EVAH! I'm curious to see what a more unbiased review looks like.

Lossless:  http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=545573
Lossy:  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EBP47A32

Phish
06-24-1995
Philadelphia, PA
Mann Music Center

Source: Cardoid 460's > TEAC > Technics 260 > DAT
Transfer: CD > EAC > .WAV > MKW > .SHN
Transfered By; Scott Harris (scott@strangedesign.org)

----------
Disk 1
----------
set 1:
1. Fee >
2. Rift
3. Spocks Brain
4. Julius
5. Glide
6. Mound
7. Stash
8. The Horse >
9. Silent in the Morning
10. Squirming Coil

----------
Disk 2
----------
set 2:
1. 2001 >
2. Halley's Comet
3. David Bowie
4. Lifeboy
5. Suzy Greenberg
6. Harry Hood

----------
Disk 3
----------
1. Acoustic Army
2. Sweet Adeline
3. Golgi Apparatus
encore:
4. crowd noise
5. Bold as Love

Submitted Reviews

1) August
2) runawayjimbo
3) RJ
4) whatapiper
5) GBL
6) Jezmund
7) bacchist
8) aphineday
9) phil
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

G. Augusto

runawayjimbo

Quote from: G. Augusto on July 04, 2011, 06:40:50 AM
It is the best Spock's.

That and the Bowie will probably get a lot of attention but it was the Stash that brought me back the next night looking for a ticket (didn't find one BTW but had a blast fucking with my buddy who passed out after he shoved a couple goo balls in his face. HS was the shit)

bacchist

It is the best Spock's.
Makes you wonder why they decided to shelf it for 5 years following this performance.
Rebuilding...

G. Augusto

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 04, 2011, 09:24:01 AM
It is the best Spock's.

That and the Bowie will probably get a lot of attention but it was the Stash that brought me back the next night looking for a ticket (didn't find one BTW but had a blast fucking with my buddy who passed out after he shoved a couple goo balls in his face. HS was the shit)

Was this your first show?

runawayjimbo

Quote from: G. Augusto on July 04, 2011, 09:40:04 AM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 04, 2011, 09:24:01 AM
It is the best Spock's.

Was this your first show?

Yep. What you don't read my intro?  :cry: :-D

G. Augusto

whatapiper

Stoked to review this, I rarely play summer 95 so this will be a treat.   I also love hearing "first shows" of others.
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Superfreakie

Quote from: whatapiper on July 04, 2011, 01:29:06 PM
I rarely play summer 95 so this will be a treat.

missing out on all the good things in life
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

whatapiper

Quote from: Superfreakie on July 04, 2011, 01:36:09 PM
Quote from: whatapiper on July 04, 2011, 01:29:06 PM
I rarely play summer 95 so this will be a treat.

missing out on all the good things in life

Too much to listen to and not enough time, whenever I feel 95 I typically throw on some Fall.   Just means many gems await my ears in the future.

One straight month of REAL phish is what I'm really pumped about.   No new shows to clog my playlist
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Superfreakie

G. Augusto

I always felt like the week of shows after Finger Lakes up until Sugarbush are kinda overlooked. Maybe not as HUGE as some of the other shows on this Tour, but still pretty noteworthy.

Fee - A few wrong notes/chords by Page, Trey and Mike (!) to start. Crowd goes bananas for the megaphone. Segues smoothly into >>>

Rift - Well played and starts giving the set some momentum.

Spock's - Like I said, THE best version. This one features plenty of wah by Trey where he normally wouldn't use it. Tons of energy on this one and it seems the band was finally comfortable with playing this tune. Then it was shelved until 09-29-2000, lol.

Julius - *LUV* the '94/'95 versions. Tons of peaks with this rendition, although Trey kinda misses the BIG one. Doesn't kill it, tho, but wish they had went for one more.

Glide - Only version of the Summer and 1/3 from all of 1995. STATS ALERT Glide was only played 11 times over a 5 year period ('95-'00). Odd that 2000 had just as many performances as '95.

Mound - Not the hugest Mound fan, but the set is still rolling nicely. Well played.

Stash - MEAT. Great composed sections. ~7:20 Mike doubles up. Slight vocals at 9 in and again at ~10:15. Pretty much a steady, tension-filled build up until the first drop at 10:40. A few more peaks couple with tension and this one resolves nicely. Personally, not a "best of" version, but very good and acts a great anchor for the set.

Horse/Silent - Nice breather.

Coil - Virtually flawless composed sections. Is there a very brief Landslide tease during Page's solo? Dunno. *LUV* when they leave Page out there. Great set.

2001 - Early version. You know what you're gonna get. Drops directly into >>>

Halley's - Quick solo sections with another drop into >>>

Bowie - The other white anchor. 2 minute intro. They settle into a nice groove ~7 which then leads to a deconstructed jam. Laughing at 13:30 then really enters some psych space. Real classic Summer '95 sound going down. They kinda with this light groove until they really pick up the tempo at 17 in. A bunch of screaming during the outro section. Personally, I prefer the Deer Creek version over this one, but it is still super wicked.

Lifeboy - Took a dump.

Suzy - Funny how people list this tune as huge highlight now. Wasn't Page(zilla) always killing his solos? Anyway, this Suzy was the highlight of the part of the show where they played Suzy. Page killed his solo, too.

Hood - Premature "Harry" during intro. OK composed sections before the Mr. Minor segment, which is straight fiery! Some more yelling and DISGUSTING work by Mike. The jam is both patient and long, which builds to one great peak followed by a YUGE peak featuring "The Note."
All of these "earlier" versions had that note, wish it stayed. Anyway, these last four songs conclude the 12-30-1995 segment of our program.

Army - Thanks the crowd for being quiet during the tour and for teh hats.

Adeline - Usually not much to say about this, bit this one actually has a really strong finish!

Golgi - Trey having fun with the timing of his leads. Nice cap.

Axis - Smell the Glove. Energetic with some more interesting lead work by Trey. Kinda (he does) misses the note when they come back in the second time, but not terrible.

Cool first show, n00b... :wink:
I give it a solid B+.
a

runawayjimbo

06-24-1995
Mann Music Center
Philadelphia, PA

I

Fee - My first memory of them on stage is Trey yelling into a bullhorn playing the song I know best. Thus begins a lifelong obsession.

Rift - I love how they just attack this. It's not perfect, but there's such energy because this was way back when they played with Big Balls instead of just singing about them. A couple flubs from Trey and even Page...gasp...can't cool this thing off. They nail the ending and the place was on fire.

Spock's Brain - At this point I distinctly remember thinking "WTF did I get myself into?" I started bugging pretty hard at one point, but thankfully it was early enough that it was still light out. If this had gone down in the 2nd I wouldn't have been able to handle it. As Aug said, THE version (random side note: when they played it at Camden I traveled back in time to this show and made cumsies in my pants).

Julius - Now I remember why I like this song. Great work by all but Trey really shows why he is the leader of this band. They even dabble in some tension in an OBV nod to the Stash that's about to go down.

Glide - "Hello, Audience? Yeah it's us, the band. Yeah, we're fucking on tonight so be careful out there because we're gonna crush some skulls. Thanks."

Mound - Straight forward, nearly flub-proof, perfectly placed. This set has more flow than a sorority house at the end of the month.

Stash - When I trace my Phish roots, this is where it begins. I'm sure I didn't fully understand what happened that night but like I said, it brought me back the next night. Impeccable composed section leads right into the dirty. ~8:45 was when I looked over and said "Can I hold your hand?" to my cousin who brought me to the show. Thankfully he said yes. :rimshot: Sweet fucking tension. Just driving, unrelenting waves that builds to a mini-peak ~11:25 when they all fall back into the song in unison. But then ~12:30 they're like "Needs more tension" so they dive back in to the goo. ~13:50 they kinda whiff on the peak but no problem, they'll just push some more tension in your face until they find paydirt ~14:30. 14:52 was the exact moment I thought "I gotta see these guys again." This version is easily overlooked, and it still smokes.

Horse > Silent - Perfectly placed, well played and gave me a safe place to pick up my face.

Squirming Coil - Caps a beautifully executed set. Page's solo is simply inspiring.

II

2001 - Short and fiery. I like the late-90 grooves better myself but this packs a lot of goodness in under 5 mins.

Halley's Comet - Great 10 mins of fun to open the set.

David Bowie - Strap in kids. They develop this Boogie Nights jam that feeds the next 15ish mins of music. Slick little breakdown ~10:00 and at 12:30 their still deconstructing the Boogie Nights theme. ~17:00 Mike & Fish sound like their playing BOTT while Page & Trey add that darkness so you know they're not playing BOTT cause it's 1995. Page goes off ~20:00 and before you realize it they're back in the main theme. They seem to struggle finding the song but it's amazing to me how fluid they are. Like Stash, if they don't connect they have the confidence to keep the theme going, step back and try to peak it properly. The ending kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth but that jam was the real deal.

Lifeboy - Wait, what's this? A ballad that doesn't kill a set? What a novel concept!

Suzy Greenberg - Trey with a Lifeboy tease into the 1st chorus kinda reminds me of the Meatstick teases at Great Woods this summer, right? Right? Page's 1st solo gets chopped down before its prime but he kills the 2nd on the piano. I definitely needed that pick me up after my second face melting of the night.

Harry Hood - Fish is having fun. Someone (Page?) jumps the gun on "Harry" but Fish plays it off nicely. Mr. Minor is nasty (is that Fish growling?). A beautiful jam that literally made me levitate that night. Ask anyone.

Acoustic Army - I had no idea what was going on at the time but I loved it

Sweet Adeline - Trey really loves quiet audiences; maybe we should STFU at shows so they can feel comfortable. The quiet audience responds by giggling at Fish's antics.

Golgi Apparatus - The show opens and closes with the only 2 songs I could have named going in. I was hooked.

E

Bold as Love - Exclamation point

Obviously, hard to be objective here but I'm gonna go ahead and give this show an A+. The setlist rides like a dream and their command over the music is mind numbing. And this is on an "off night." And for the HATER haters, if "2nd tier" 3.0 shows sounded like this rather than the stomach wrenching horror scenes of this summer, there'd be a lot less HATE. I DARE you to listen to Stash from Camden after listening to this one.

runawayjimbo