News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Gun Talk Re: have you heard about...?

Started by emay, July 20, 2012, 09:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on December 23, 2012, 09:00:28 AM
So Matt said, until the follow up comment with the emphasized "you" indicated otherwise. I thought that was pretty clear in context.

Anyway, we don't need to continue sitting here antagonizing one another. Merry Christmas. Peace on earth.

Not if the NRA has anything to say about it.

also,
gramps... :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

gah

Guyute

Trying to remember if I have the order right, but I believe Patrick Moynihan proposed a $1000 per bullet tax first and then this came out.  Interesting concept.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

sls.stormyrider

better go out to get more guns so we can prevent all of these shootings.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VDB

Quote from: slslbs on January 16, 2013, 01:53:49 PM

You can bet there will be a run on assault weapons as some people fear a renewed ban. For all their bitching, conservatives fail to admit that the Obama presidency has actually been a very good thing for the gun industry.

So what does everyone think of Obama's actions/proposals? I've already said what I think about the usefulness of limiting magazine capacity, which apparently Obama wants to cap at 10 rounds.

Oh, and you gotta love "fair and balanced" Fox News and the very first sentence of its story on the proposed assault weapons ban:

QuoteIt has been two decades since then-President Clinton scored a headline-making political victory in banning assault weapons – and one decade since Congress let it lapse.

I guess we don't have to wonder whether FN regards an assault weapons ban as being anything more than a mere "political" victory for those who'd support it...
Is this still Wombat?

twatts

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on January 16, 2013, 10:57:10 PM
Quote from: slslbs on January 16, 2013, 01:53:49 PM

You can bet there will be a run on assault weapons as some people fear a renewed ban. For all their bitching, conservatives fail to admit that the Obama presidency has actually been a very good thing for the gun industry.

So what does everyone think of Obama's actions/proposals? I've already said what I think about the usefulness of limiting magazine capacity, which apparently Obama wants to cap at 10 rounds.

I don't remember what you said about limiting capacity...  But I will reiterate my view:  people in NYC now buy 2 small cokes instead of 1 large coke...

I like all 23 of his Orders.  They all make perfect sense...  But they are just a bunch of bullet points...  Let's see the action in action...

I really like the "nominate and confirm an ATF d00d" Order; we haven't had one in 6 years...   WTF?!?

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on January 16, 2013, 10:57:10 PM
Oh, and you gotta love "fair and balanced" Fox News and the very first sentence of its story on the proposed assault weapons ban:

QuoteIt has been two decades since then-President Clinton scored a headline-making political victory in banning assault weapons – and one decade since Congress let it lapse.

I guess we don't have to wonder whether FN regards an assault weapons ban as being anything more than a mere "political" victory for those who'd support it...

We know they are always going to take cynical RW slant on anything he OB does - I wouldn't be surprised if Fox called him out for environmental damage when he took a dump...  But that's beside the point...  Let's look at what the AWB did - and how the industry learned to work around it.   

I, for one, am surprised that in none of the 23 does OB address the loophole in private gun sales or sales at gun shows (essentially private)...  I think we need to hammer out a way that Law Enforcement can easily monitor private gun sales without hindering the ability to buy a gun "conveniently" for the law-abiding citizen...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

ytowndan

The thing I really take issue with is the conversation we're having on magazines.  Nobody, particularly in the mainstream media, is really having the proper debate when it comes to this aspect.  Banning high-capacity magazines is a great thing.  But, as it's been pointed out over and over, it only takes a split second to pop a fresh clip into these guns.  Will this slow them down?  Technically, but not by much.  It certainly won't slow the shooter down enough for people to run for safety.  What we need to do is have a serious conversation about banning detachable magazines on all firearms.  You want a semi-auto firearm?  OK.  But it has to have a fixed magazine that holds no more than "x" rounds.  This would make these nutjobs have to manually feed the rounds into the gun in between bursts of ten or seven rounds (whatever the limit would be). 

If we really want to have "common sense" regulation, let's start by entertaining the idea of laws that actually make sense.  If our intention is to enact legislation that will slow down these killers, banning a high-capacity magazine is nothing more than a good start.  If we really want to give these victims enough time to have a real chance of escaping, we need to ban high-capacity magazines as well as detachable magazines. 

Just my thoughts. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

VDB

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on January 16, 2013, 11:11:34 PM
I don't remember what you said about limiting capacity...  But I will reiterate my view:  people in NYC now buy 2 small cokes instead of 1 large coke...

Yep.

Dan, I will agree that the concept you're discussing would theoretically have more impact on slowing down shooting sprees than simply banning the magazines. (Except for instances where a person walks in with multiple guns in his belt as opposed to multiple magazines.) But as a practical matter, there are so many millions of detachable magazines, and firearms that accept them, already in circulation that I don't think you could any more easily bring about a society with nothing but fixed-magazine guns than you could a society with no guns at all.
Is this still Wombat?

phil

I, for one, am surprised that in none of the 23 does OB address the loophole in private gun sales or sales at gun shows (essentially private)...  I think we need to hammer out a way that Law Enforcement can easily monitor private gun sales without hindering the ability to buy a gun "conveniently" for the law-abiding citizen...

Terry

private sales seem kind of iffy to me in general. I get that they serve a purpose but you never know the history of what you're buying and could end up buying a stolen gun (which would result in a felony charge for both you and the seller and all the headache that comes along with that). I'd way rather just go to the store and have them run a background check than buy a used gun out of the back of Billy Bob's truck.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

twatts

Quote from: phil on January 17, 2013, 10:21:06 AM

Terry

private sales seem kind of iffy to me in general. I get that they serve a purpose but you never know the history of what you're buying and could end up buying a stolen gun (which would result in a felony charge for both you and the seller and all the headache that comes along with that). I'd way rather just go to the store and have them run a background check than buy a used gun out of the back of Billy Bob's truck.

I'm not entirely sure what kind of gun registration system is in place now, but do you have the same fear when you buy a used car from a private buyer?  Or do we rely on the Car Registration and Title process to take care of those issues for us?

I'd like to see private sales go away entirely and mandate that all sales are done through a licensed 3rd party (at no cost to the buyer or seller) so that the appropriate checks can be done...  Imagine CarMax as a Gun Store...  "GunMax"...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will

ytowndan

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on January 17, 2013, 10:15:18 AM

Yep.

Dan, I will agree that the concept you're discussing would theoretically have more impact on slowing down shooting sprees than simply banning the magazines. (Except for instances where a person walks in with multiple guns in his belt as opposed to multiple magazines.) But as a practical matter, there are so many millions of detachable magazines, and firearms that accept them, already in circulation that I don't think you could any more easily bring about a society with nothing but fixed-magazine guns than you could a society with no guns at all.

You're correct on both points.  If someone has enough money, they can just stockpile the guns instead of magazines.  And there are a shit load of detachable magazines and guns that accept them already in circulation.  But, while talking about what to do with magazines, proposing that we simply limit their size is lazy and futile.  We first need to look at detachable vs. fixed magazines, then we can argue over the number of bullets that they can hold.

I wasn't trying to say that all we need to do is ban detachable mags and everything will be all puppies and rainbows.  It's just one piece of the overall conversation that I believe we're ignoring.  That was really my point.   
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mbw

15 year old murders entire family.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/20/albuquerque-shooting-2013-new-mexico-teenager_n_2516424.html

i wonder where he got the guns? i'm betting from his super safe home that was loaded with them for extra safety.

gah

Quote from: mbw on January 21, 2013, 09:47:04 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/20/albuquerque-shooting-2013-new-mexico-teenager_n_2516424.html

i wonder where he got the guns? i'm betting from his super safe home that was loaded with them for extra safety.

I'm pretty sure it was a hunting accident.

twatts

Quote from: mbw on January 21, 2013, 09:47:04 AM

...laughs the person that said I LOLed about "dead slaves in unmarked graves"...  Ahh...  the irony...   :-P

If you want to point out stupid gun-owners, laugh at the Dixie Gunshow this past weekend in Raleigh...  The jokes write themselves...   :evil:

Terry

----------------------

I want super-human will