News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Elite 8 - Terrapin Station Region - 1-Grateful Dead v 2-Led Zeppelin

Started by UncleEbinezer, March 30, 2011, 10:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: sophist on March 31, 2011, 09:47:12 AM
I'm sorry you guys think shitting out the same blues licks with flat fourths and string bending constitutes shredding.  At the end of the day, Jimmy Page relied too heavily on the pentatonic scale, where as Garcia was so well versed in music theory that it's not even close.  Playing faster doesn't mean he's better.

You're forgetting how much he ripped off Bert Jansch.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

susep

I'm sorry you guys think shitting out the same blues licks with flat fourths and string bending constitutes shredding.

have fun at your next Phish show. :wink:

sophist

Quote from: susep73 on March 31, 2011, 09:48:42 AM
I'm sorry you guys think shitting out the same blues licks with flat fourths and string bending constitutes shredding.

have fun at your next Phish show. :wink:
I wouldn't argue that.  I never said I didn't like hearing that style.  All I'm saying is that to call Jimmy Page better is laughable.  I'd say the same thing with Trey now.  He really does ride that scale too much.  He used to be a master of his domain. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

zimbra

I'm sorry you guys think shitting out the same blues licks with flat fourths and string bending constitutes shredding.  At the end of the day, Jimmy Page relied too heavily on the pentatonic scale, where as Garcia was so well versed in music theory that it's not even close.  Playing faster doesn't mean he's better.

BOOM!
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

fauxpaxfauxreal

Buffalo Budd

I would never argue the calibre of musicianship.   :syf: takes that category without a doubt.  But Zep are just so classic with their style and playing, I found this matchup a difficult decision.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

qop24

Zeppelin. All the way. It's a shame they had to go up against one of the 2 shoe-ins before the end
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

cactusfan

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on March 31, 2011, 02:10:19 PM
I would never argue the calibre of musicianship.   :syf: takes that category without a doubt.  But Zep are just so classic with their style and playing, I found this matchup a difficult decision.

john bonham is rolling over in his grave... drunkenly...

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: cactusfan on March 31, 2011, 04:17:09 PM

not so fast
I voted for the GD, and Phil is my favorite bass player ever, but JPJ is a great bass player and a great musician.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones_(musician)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

qop24

Pfft, he's no Kreutzmann. Clearly.  :roll:
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

cactusfan

Quote from: slslbs on March 31, 2011, 04:22:29 PM

not so fast
I voted for the GD, and Phil is my favorite bass player ever, but JPJ is a great bass player and a great musician.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones_(musician)

you don't have to convince me. i'll take the whole band over the dead in a heartbeat. i was just pointing out the most bleedingly obvious...

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: qop24 on March 31, 2011, 04:23:46 PM

Pfft, he's no Kreutzmann. Clearly.  :roll:

different style drummers for different style bands.
they were so different that you really can't compare them.
both fit in with the music the other guys were playing, which is the most important thing a drummer can do.
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

sls.stormyrider

agreed, but you and I both prefer GD to LZ
Billy K wouldn't sound good with LZ, and Bonzo wouldn't sound good with GD.
both were / are talented, both were great with their bands.