News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd 4 - 5 - Derek and the Dominoes - Layla and other... v 14 - Talking Heads - Re

Started by UncleEbinezer, April 01, 2012, 12:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: susep on April 04, 2012, 01:55:03 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on April 04, 2012, 01:40:43 PM
Quote from: susep on April 04, 2012, 01:23:14 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on April 03, 2012, 11:03:09 PM

Yours guys are all favoring this because Phish played it.

meh, I've never been a big Clapton fan nor a big Duane fan.  I do recognize the importance of both however their playing has never left me dumbfounded or amazed.  I actually listened to the D&TD album earlier in this tourney and it kinda bored me sans Layla.  RIL however,  "take a look at these hands..."   :-D

Nothing personal*, but, based on other posts and reviews from you, I've already determined that your taste in music makes zero sense to me. So... I'm not too shocked.

eta:
*Of course it's personal. What a stupid phrase. What I really mean, is "I don't mean it as an insult".

no worries.

You're totally wrong and should change your vote, though.

twatts

Adrian, just before Krim... 

Trey, your Kung-Fu is weak... 

I still voted for DnD...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

JPhishman

I'm with RJ on this. If Halloween '96 had been Layla this would be a blowout. Of course, I love Clapton and don't understand how so many people dismiss him. He is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. I've saw him last year for the second time and loved it. Guy doesn't flub anything. So many great songs. Who from his generation can still play at a high level?

Not doggin David Byrne. He is genius without a doubt. But I don't think this album would be getting all this love without validation from those Vermont hippies.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

emay

Byrne's music has a great band sound, but Clapton brings the soul and heart that is rock n roll is today.

This album is full of so many emotions and so much soul. Grade A blue as well as a nod to the recently deceased Jimi with Little Wing.

Theres like 5-6 great songs on Remain in the Light that are good songs to dance and party to but is just another Talking Heads album.

Gotta go with Layla

rowjimmy

There is no Talking heads anywhere close to my all-time top twenty albums and I dig the Talking Heads.

mistercharlie

You can't say Remain in Light is getting so many votes just because Phish covered it. If that were the case The White Album and Exile on Main Street would still be in the running. Granted, Exile lost to Europe '72 so I guess a GD album beats an album Phish has covered. And The White album lost to Thriller, which is going to go into the finals to face DSOTM (yet another album that Phish has covered).
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

twatts

Quote from: JPhishman on April 04, 2012, 02:27:37 PM
Who from his generation can still play at a high level?

Jeff Beck???  Steve Howe??? 

I think everything after EC's hiatus and the Rainbow Concert is crap, but whatever...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will

rowjimmy

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 04, 2012, 02:49:07 PM
You can't say Remain in Light is getting so many votes just because Phish covered it. If that were the case The White Album and Exile on Main Street would still be in the running.

Sure I can.

Find me anywhere but a Phish or Talking Heads board where it is an all-time top ten album. Some publications rank it high in lists of 80's albums but the competition is, naturally, significantly slimmer.

McGrupp

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on April 04, 2012, 02:50:49 PM

I think everything after EC's hiatus and the Rainbow Concert is crap, but whatever...

Terry

Cheeseballs. Those dudes really have nothing on Clapton.

Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

mbw

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 04, 2012, 03:16:01 PM
You can't say Remain in Light is getting so many votes just because Phish covered it. If that were the case The White Album and Exile on Main Street would still be in the running.

Sure I can.

Find me anywhere but a Phish or Talking Heads board where it is an all-time top ten album. Some publications rank it high in lists of 80's albums but the competition is, naturally, significantly slimmer.

find me anywhere where Layla is a top ten album.

twatts

Quote from: McGrupp on April 04, 2012, 03:25:19 PM

Terry

I'll give you Beck, but go listen to CTTE and tell me Howe's "got nothing" on EC...

Terry

----------------------

I want super-human will

twatts

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on April 04, 2012, 03:29:06 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on April 04, 2012, 03:16:01 PM

Sure I can.

find me anywhere where Layla is a top ten album.

Layla Top Ten: 

----------------------

I want super-human will

McGrupp

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on April 04, 2012, 03:55:38 PM

Terry

I'll give you Beck, but go listen to CTTE and tell me Howe's "got nothing" on EC...

Terry

Chops-wise, I can name a handful of guitarists that could play circles around Clapton. Howe has no soul.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

WhatstheUse?

Phish playing Remain in Light has absolutely no influence on my vote. It's not even my favorite Talking Heads album.  But it is a production masterpiece.

The combination of David Byrne + Brian Eno CRUSHES the combination of Clapton + Duane.

Susep nailed my feelings....
Quote from: susep on April 04, 2012, 01:55:03 PM
I've never been a big Clapton fan nor a big Duane fan.  I do recognize the importance of both however their playing has never left me dumbfounded or amazed.
Bring in the dude!

twatts

Quote from: McGrupp on April 04, 2012, 04:03:59 PM
Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on April 04, 2012, 03:55:38 PM

Terry

Terry

Chops-wise, I can name a handful of guitarists that could play circles around Clapton. Howe has no soul.

OK, so the metric is "soul"???  How about BB King or Buddy Guy??? 

Want to know why Clapton is revered so much???  Because your golf playing lillywhite father-in-law can sound cool to his country-club buddies when he mentions the newest Clapton album...

Terry

----------------------

I want super-human will