News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R12/W02: 06-24-1995 Mann Music Center, Philadelphia, PA

Started by runawayjimbo, July 04, 2011, 01:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Augusto

G. Augusto

Good stuff.
Maybe we'll do a first show round in the future.

whatapiper

Quote from: G. Augusto on July 04, 2011, 09:41:53 PM
Good stuff.

That would be fun, but my first show has been selected already... :cry:
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

phil

Quote from: whatapiper on July 05, 2011, 03:20:49 AM
Quote from: G. Augusto on July 04, 2011, 09:41:53 PM
Good stuff.

That would be fun, but my first show has been selected already is hardly worthy of closer review... :cry:

FYPFM
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

rowjimmy

Here begins set one
I am psyched to hear this show
so let's get started:

Fee opens and rules
But Rift brings the night's first heat
and then comes Spock's Brain

Wow. A great version.
hope they never ruin it
with half-assed bustouts

Julius is strong.
One week earlier, this song
got up in my head.

Good era for this.
Oh shit! This Glide is awesome.
Makes me Glad Glad Glad

that I'm listening
to this instead of new shows.
Mound is solid stuff.

On the other hand
This Stash is a master work
in tension building.

Maybe not the best
but a perfect example
of what Stash should be.

Horse starts quietly
it is ominous really
but that tone's softened

when Silent kicks in.
Relax folks, and catch your breath.
Coil is coming.

Strong version from all
Page's meltdown is sublime
ending a great set.

runawayjimbo

I don't understand
This haiku obsession, still,
Fucking impressive.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

rowjimmy

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 05, 2011, 12:00:51 PM
I don't understand
This haiku obsession, still,
Fucking impressive.

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 23, 2010, 09:12:19 PM
haiku's brevity
allows me to brand myself
The anti-Gumbo

Additionally,
I am forced to consider
each word as I type.

And lastly I was
asked to bring back the haiku.
Blame Mr. Charlie.

rowjimmy

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 05, 2011, 11:30:23 AM
Here begins set one
I am psyched to hear this show
so let's get started:

Fee opens and rules
But Rift brings the night's first heat
and then comes Spock's Brain

Wow. A great version.
hope they never ruin it
with half-assed bustouts

Julius is strong.
One week earlier, this song
got up in my head.

Good era for this.
Oh shit! This Glide is awesome.
Makes me Glad Glad Glad

that I'm listening
to this instead of new shows.
Mound is solid stuff.

On the other hand
This Stash is a master work
in tension building.

Maybe not the best
but a perfect example
of what Stash should be.

Horse starts quietly
it is ominous really
but that tone's softened

when Silent kicks in.
Relax folks, and catch your breath.
Coil is coming.

Strong version from all
Page's meltdown is sublime
ending a great set.

I was not going
to do second set today
But I found the time!

The second set starts
With 2001 punching
you square in the face.

It's soon done with you
and Halley's Comet kicks in.
Both songs short and good.

Now David Bowie
decides to get creative
and then downright weird

the weird bendy bits
Trey does at 11mins
are smooth yet twisted

he then fires up
his Leslie cabinet... woah
melts at 13mins

into quiet space
but not for long. It takes off
and is full on shrage

Llama-esque playing
from Trey in the 19th min
before he leads us

back towards the theme
this finale is so bent
they're screaming onstage.

That's a great Bowie.
Lifeboy brings a needed break
and it's beautiful.

Suzy rips but wait
right before the first chorus
Trey teases Lifeboy!?!

Also, Page rocks this.
Harry Hood with flubbed "Harry"!
Who cares? This is sweet.

Acoustic Army
is nice and it is paired with
a Sweet Adeline.

Thank you for the hats.
You are a great audience.
Ticket stubs and shit

Trey changes it up
And Golgi closes things huge.
Encore: Bold As Love

Always a winner.
Ev'rybody delivers.
We go home happy.

Great fucking show, man
Of course I am a sucker
for ninety-five shows.

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

phil

Set One:

Fee: Rips! starting the show off on a high note. Love how the crowd explodes when the megaphone comes out.

Rift: Fun, high tempo, I like it in this slot

Spock's Brain: Cool

Julius: Rockin, keeps the energy up.

Glide: the first "breather" of the set (i use the term loosely because this one's pretty high energy); i can imagine it was much needed (I'd have been exhausted by this point)

Mound: Cool.

Stash: It's over 15min, sophist wins the bet :roll:. But in all seriousness, this stash starts out strong and stays that way. I like what trey's doing towards the last of the "maybe so, maybe not"s, then page comes in with something cooler and they continue to play off each other. Very well done.

Horse > SITM: nice breather after that stash

Coil: Beautiferous
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

justjezmund

finally getting some brain function back enough to do these.  Shows awesome.  Off the top I def love this bowie and stash.  And its PHILLY come on!

review coming.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

aphineday

Set 1:
1. Fee: Nicely played, and crisp. Just seems totally fresh, and obviously gets the audience rolling on a high note.
2. Rift: Well played, and well placed. People getting stoked...
3. Spocks Brain: Horrible. Absolutely the worst Spock's Brain ever. Or the opposite... this was insanely good. So tight, and just absolutely rips this thing out of the water.
4. Julius: Damn, hysteria ensues as Trey peaks this thing, then backs it down. Super rockin', and good jam. Mike pushes, and Trey responds. Like!
5. Glide: Well played, and well placed. Nice long pause at the end.
6. Mound: Flubbed a little bit, but they got it back. Fishman trying to keep them together, and doing a hell of a job, but occasionally they just lose it slightly. Not the best version, certainly not the worst.
7. Stash: Was super buildy. Wow, LOVE this. This had a direction from the beginning. They take it out there, and take some chances, and even if they fall on their face, who cares? Good listening to each other, and each one takes a run at driving the jam.
8. The Horse > Okay.
9. Silent in the Morning: I'm a lover of this song. This version didn't do a ton special for me, but it was well played.
10. Squirming Coil: Page giving it the business. Definitely the highlight for me, as for most when they let Page just do what he does. Beauty.

Set 2:
1. 2001: I hadn't listened to a '95 version of this in a while. Definitely doesn't live up to later versions. In fact, almost seemed a little forced into Halley's. Don't get me wrong, it's intense in spots, but I'd like them to take me out there first.
2. Halley's Comet: Nice, standard Halley's.
3. David Bowie: Now we're cookin! This was such an epic build into a super-peak. Love how they are all playing nicely. Trey tries to take this sucker to the moon, and Page and the others hop right on. Weirdness, and crazy explorations make the stage turn into a fire pit. Dancing with the Devil at the end of this thing. Wow. I might listen to this 20 more times this week alone. Sick, and nasty.
4. Lifeboy: Killed the buzz, but whatever.
5. Suzy Greenberg: Smokin'... Page kills this as always, but inspired playing all around. I always love hearing this song, but this one really held the set together.
6. Harry Hood: Slop to some extent before the jam. Jam is absolutely great though, and they kill it to end the song. Stumbling never felt so good.
1. Acoustic Army: Cool to hear, crowd involved, and Trey on point.
2. Sweet Adeline: Sure. Thought this would end the set, but then a nice Golgi to end.
3. Golgi Apparatus: Nothing extraordinary on the jam side, but not a jam song. Well played. AWESOME rock peak to end the show
encore:
4. Bold as Love: LOVE Hendrix any time. Absolutely smoking end to this after the Fishman breakdown, and back in... ripped this show to bits.

GREAT choice man, found myself grinning ear to ear listening to this one. Thanks!
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

phil

Set Two:

2001 - Holy smokes! this version is ON POINT...until the blueballs...

Halley's Comet - I really love how tight this is. Nothing mind-blowing but flawlessly executed. Listening to this, I get the idea that this is the sound that Phish is aiming for these days. Not necessarily getting there but I applaud them for trying, cause this halley's sounds sweet.

Bowie - Mind = Blown. no words

Lifeboy - On paper it looks like a set killer in this slot but I actually think it's pretty good

Suzy - Love trey teasing the lifeboy riff. the second half of this is straight up PAGE's HOUSE. Trey compliments him nicely. What a suzy should be.

Harry Hood - If only their 3.0 fuckups sounded this good.

Acoustic Army - It's cool but I don't particularly care for this song

Sweet Adeline - Love it. They need to bring this back.

Golgi - Rips. Duh.

Bold As Love - Love this tune, nice way to end a show.

Overall, show's tight. Definitely gonna keep some of these in rotation

bacchist

Fee - Gets things started on a fun note.

Rift - Nice spot and well played.

Spock's Brain - A shame this tune hasn't been in the regular lineup... Just a really awesome tune. Great version.

Julius - Wish 3.0 versions were half as powerful as this.

Glide - Well done. One of the best Phish tunes, when they execute.

Mound - Another really well executed performance. They're playing a lot of difficult stuff, and making it sound easy.

Stash - Great version. Lots of tension. Builds and builds. Trey is a wizard. Lots of cool stuff going on from every member of the band. I really wish I had a better recording of this!

Horse/Silent - I guess it's ok to have something like this after that Stash... I'm not a big fan of cool down songs, though. Not the worst choice, though.

Squirming Coil - Makes a good first set closer.

2001 - Nice old version. Sometimes I forget that they never used to stretch this tune out very much.

Halley's Comet - I always wish the end was longer. :) This one is no exception. It just rocks, but so short. Great segue to the Bowie noises, though.

David Bowie - Just plain sick. Seems like parts of the first half of the jam could have come out of a Gin. Lot of playing with slowing down and speeding up, key changes, everybody listening. Very cool wall of sound emerges. Develops into a raging and rocking climax. 20 mins of jam, and not a dull moment. Will always stick out in my mind as one of the better Bowies.

Lifeboy - Meh.

Suzy Greenberg - Should have skipped Lifeboy and gone straight to this. Not sure if the crowd could have handled that, though. :D

Hood - Just beautiful.

Acoustic Army - Cool.

Sweet Adeline - Kinda boring to me, but whatever... They seem to enjoy it.

Golgi Apparatus - Like it more as a first set tune, and the placement here seems really weird. Kind of gives the end of the show a really disjointed feel. Love the song, though. A solid version.

Bold as Love - Good encore song. Just has that feel to it.

All in all, a great show. Stash and Bowie anchor the first and second sets respectively. Well played versions of a lot of great tunes. I just love June '95. One of the best months of Phish, period.
Rebuilding...

whatapiper

Set 1:

Fee - Great opener, a shaky intro but quickly recovers, gotta love the old school megaphone >

Rift - Really dig earlier versions of this, nice way to get the blood flowing.  Everyone's voice sounds great, crowd way into it

Spock's Brain - Nice and funky to start, nice interplay with Mike and Page, very tight, why oh why did you disappear for so long?!

Julius - Back to the dance party,  Fish is all over this and the set so far.   Nice peaks throughout

Glide - Not the rarity it is now but only 1 of 3 in 95.    Played with precision and purpose

Mound - Tight and played effortlessly

Stash - Some dark meat, love Trey's tone, may be my favorite year for Stash.    What I love about this version is that it may be 15 minutes but it doesn't sound like it is, nothing wasted here, classic tension and release with a solid finish

Horse/ Silent - Not my favorite placement for this especially when followed by >

Squirming Coil - Great 1st set closer, love it when Page is left alone on stage.   Trey plays with confidence and no discernible flubs.   Wish I could hear Mike better on this recording but Page sounds beautiful as ever.

Set 2:

2001 - 3.0'd   :wink  ::: I'm imagining Runaway Jimbo doing the dancing banana:::

Haley's - Not a huge fan of short Comet's, the groove is too great to end so quickly but I really like the spacey intro to >

Bowie - Spacey intro with nice noodling from Mike, around the 6 minute mark it's getting dirty, very raw and "bluesy".   You could throw some horns in there.  Wow gets just ridiculous around the 19 minute mark, PAGE!!  Top notch fish and Trey here.   I will going back to this one soon

Lifeboy - nice breather after a smokin Bowie

Suzy - Not exactly what I wanted here but Page takes the roof off

Hood -  Trey gets a little anxious.   Love the mr. minor section and just fluid into the slow build.   

Acoustic Army - yep

Sweet Adeline - losing momentum

Golgi -  Fun and a little sloppy at the same time

E: Bold as Love - Sweetness, rockin version

Overall great show, 2nd set lost me at the finish, Bowie the easy highlight along with Stash.   They made it look easy in the first set with overall solid play, love Fish in this show.

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong