News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

1st Sets and Sandwiches

Started by HammondOrganism, November 05, 2010, 02:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

Quote from: mehead on November 05, 2010, 04:52:28 PM
Quote from: mattstick on November 05, 2010, 12:28:37 PM

A sandwich is not a jam.

Phish jams last 3-4 minutes these days.

I'd way rather see Phish extend themselves and explore new terrain than drop some Guyute teases or riff on some Zeppelin.

2nd'd

while I do think that 10/30 and Utica were fun, those types of moments aren't going to make up for the lack of jamming and exploration I think a lot of us are looking for

some of that zep stuff is difficult to listen to...Ramble On is a trainwreck

just sayin'

agreed on both points.  i want jams!!! like REAL exploration.  not riffing, not sandwiching.  JAMMING!

look back at the moby dick show from deer creek in 2000, it was fun there, but i NEVER listen to this set cuz its kinda sloppy.  same with 10/30.

they have given us moments for sure... berkeley Light is a good example IMO.

turn the faucet on all the way and let the groove flow!!!!!!!!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

nab

Here's what I like in the band:

Coherent and apparent transmission of musical thought conducted through communication by all four members or by force of will (through mastery, not flubbery) by one. 

Sometimes this transmission comes out in a long jam, sometimes it comes out in a short riff.  Either way I'm happy. 

Truth be told, I probably go back to shows like 10-30 or Utica more often because of the immediate accessibility shorter moments afford in my listening space.  It is rare that I am so impressed by the longer jams the band produces that I commit the time or headspace to really repeat listenings more than a half a dozen times.  Just my musical preference, ymmv

jam>

11/27/1998 is both very well played and classic phishy playful sandwich galore. I love the antelope.

Set 2: Buried Alive, Wipe Out, Chalk Dust Torture -> Mirror in the Bathroom -> Chalk Dust Torture -> Dog Log -> Chalk Dust Torture > Sanity, Buffalo Bill > Mike's Song -> I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove -> Wipe Out -> Weekapaug Groove, Weekapaug Groove Reprise > Run Like an Antelope
Encore: Wading in the Velvet Sea, Golgi Apparatus > Wipe Out

shamwow

Quote from: jam> on November 06, 2010, 10:37:16 AM
11/27/1998 is both very well played and classic phishy playful sandwich galore. I love the antelope.

Set 2: Buried Alive, Wipe Out, Chalk Dust Torture -> Mirror in the Bathroom -> Chalk Dust Torture -> Dog Log -> Chalk Dust Torture > Sanity, Buffalo Bill > Mike's Song -> I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove -> Wipe Out -> Weekapaug Groove, Weekapaug Groove Reprise > Run Like an Antelope
Encore: Wading in the Velvet Sea, Golgi Apparatus > Wipe Out

This one is in my Top 5 two set shows I've seen.  By the time last chalkdust ends in sanity the room is just nutz. This is phish at its best, haven't really heard the boys play at this level in years. They are scratching the surface this fall imho.
8-)
"If your gonna run up on the stage..."

sls.stormyrider

agreed that I'd like to see longer jams (knowing that longer isn't always better) - so I guess longer good jams.
what I'm hoping Utica, and to a lesser extent Manchester Weekapaug and 10/23 mean is that they are getting comfortable with the material again, willing to have fun with it and take chances.
I hope they are more of a sign than an ending
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Poster Nutbag

I was at that Worcester show too, and it's indeed in my top 5, if not my number 1 choice... and that Mirror in the Bathroom and Dog Log in there are absolutely epic!! Don't really think we'll ever see Phish at that level again... I just remember walking out of that place wondering if the mushrooms spun me harder than the show did, and quickly realized that the show just walked off with my mushroom high and left me in this mystical daze of wonder about what exactly just took place in that joint...
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

mattstick

I never really liked that show.  There are a lot of Fall 98 shows I like a lot more.

JPhishman

Quote from: mattstick on November 06, 2010, 01:48:40 PM

I never really liked that show.  There are a lot of Fall 98 shows I like a lot more.

wow  :roll:

"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mattstick

I listen to UIC, Cinci, both Carolina shows a lot more than the Woosta Wipeout show.

Just trying to illustrate my POV here, I realize my point was brief - I got interrupted and just hit "Post".... sorry if it came across as a Debbie Downer.

shamwow

Quote from: mattstick on November 06, 2010, 02:47:36 PM

I listen to UIC, Cinci, both Carolina shows a lot more than the Woosta Wipeout show.

Just trying to illustrate my POV here, I realize my point was brief - I got interrupted and just hit "Post".... sorry if it came across as a Debbie Downer.

Interesting pov for sure. Favorite shows you were at and fav. Ones to listen to are two different things imo.
"If your gonna run up on the stage..."

mistercharlie

My favorite 1st set...  07-25-99

My favorite sandwich... French Dip
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

thatfargone

Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

HammondOrganism

Quote from: mattstick on November 05, 2010, 12:28:37 PM

A sandwich is not a jam.

Phish jams last 3-4 minutes these days.

I'd way rather see Phish extend themselves and explore new terrain than drop some Guyute teases or riff on some Zeppelin.
As would I, but Ill take shows like Utica and 10-30 while they are reteaching themselves to play together again.
Mike rating the Fishman Tune
On a scale from 3 to 4......i give it a 4

twatts

Quote from: mopper_smurf on November 05, 2010, 06:04:15 AM
I would like to hear an epic Ghost to can stand up to Amsterdam 07/01/1997. Yup, I am biased.

No Ghost will ever be as good...  WE are biased...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill