News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

have you heard about...?

Started by alcoholandcoffeebeans, December 04, 2007, 12:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

The sandwich turns 250...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-18010424

QuoteWhen John Montagu, the fourth Earl of Sandwich, ordered beef served between slices of bread about 250 years ago he probably did not think his request would become a global convenience meal.

The story goes that the Earl asked for the particular serving so that he could eat while continuing to play cards and his friends asked "to have the same as Sandwich", according to the British Sandwich Association.

The first written record of the sandwich was in 1762 and the Kent town of Sandwich, which is the earldom of the Montagu family, is celebrating the 250th anniversary of the meal.

Sir Edward Montagu, a prominent naval commander, became the first Earl of Sandwich when he was offered a peerage in 1660.
Sandwich not Portsmouth

Steve Laslett, one of the organisers of the Sandwich Celebration Festival, said Sir Edward Montagu chose the title because "at the time Sandwich was the premiere sea port in England".

"When he was offered the earldom he could have chosen Portsmouth but he chose Sandwich - today we could be eating a Portsmouth."

Mr Laslett added: "The fourth Earl was a complex character.

"He's First Lord of the Admiralty three times but he was a bit of a lad and he did stay up all night playing cards on many occasions."

Foodsmith Sam Bompas said the Earl of Sandwich was eating with his fingers "when cutlery was de rigueur".

"Eating of record at the time was service á la française where all the food went on the table at the same time and there was an elaborate ritual of carving, aided by troops of servants," said Mr Bompas.

"What you have with the sandwich is the shock of informality. He was a daring man to eat in such a way coming from his social background."

Mr Bompas added that he found it odd that the sandwich did not exist before the Earl of Sandwich ordered meat between slices of bread.

"Other people were probably eating in that way anyway but they were people who weren't written about," he said.
'It's bizarre'

Over the weekend the east Kent town hosts sandwich-making competitions and re-enactments of the moment the fourth Earl of Sandwich asked for the food in bread.
Sandwich (food)
The fourth Earl of Sandwich was considered "a daring man" to eat with his fingers

Sandwich Celebration Festival organiser Mandy Wilkins said it had had interest from around the world, including America, Canada, Germany, Switzerland, France and Russia.

Ms Wilkins said: "The sandwich is a global food and Sandwich, our town, is just a little town full of medieval buildings.

"It's bizarre that such an important food item should be named after us."

On Sunday the 11th Earl of Sandwich, who shares his name with the fourth Earl after which the sandwich is said to be named, hosts a lunch in Sandwich.

John Montagu said: "I am delighted to wish a happy 250th birthday to the sandwich.

"My ancestor, the 4th Earl, could never have imagined that his simple invention would spawn a multi-billion dollar industry, employing hundreds of thousands of people in this country."

According to the British Sandwich Association the industry employs more than 300,000 people in the UK and has a commercial value of over £6bn.

Mr Montagu added: "My favourite sandwich is a traditional one: roast beef and hot horseradish on freshly baked bread."
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

phil

QuoteBrewers closer John Axford's streak of 49 consecutive saves ended on Friday. Axford had to leave the stadium before speaking with the media after the game, but he had a good reason: his wife had gone into premature labor. Yet he was kind enough to leave a note for the media addressing his performance.

ESPN Playbook has leaned on its dubious sources, who subsequently unearthed similar notes from other athletes. Take a look:

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/2467/john-axford-inspires-other-athlete-notes
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

mbw

Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 15, 2012, 01:39:23 PM

QuoteWhen John Montagu, the fourth Earl of Sandwich, ordered beef served between slices of bread about 250 years ago he probably did not think his request would become a global convenience meal.

The story goes that the Earl asked for the particular serving so that he could eat while continuing to play cards and his friends asked "to have the same as Sandwich", according to the British Sandwich Association.

The first written record of the sandwich was in 1762 and the Kent town of Sandwich, which is the earldom of the Montagu family, is celebrating the 250th anniversary of the meal.

Sir Edward Montagu, a prominent naval commander, became the first Earl of Sandwich when he was offered a peerage in 1660.
Sandwich not Portsmouth

Steve Laslett, one of the organisers of the Sandwich Celebration Festival, said Sir Edward Montagu chose the title because "at the time Sandwich was the premiere sea port in England".

"When he was offered the earldom he could have chosen Portsmouth but he chose Sandwich - today we could be eating a Portsmouth."

"He's First Lord of the Admiralty three times but he was a bit of a lad and he did stay up all night playing cards on many occasions."

Foodsmith Sam Bompas said the Earl of Sandwich was eating with his fingers "when cutlery was de rigueur".

"Eating of record at the time was service á la française where all the food went on the table at the same time and there was an elaborate ritual of carving, aided by troops of servants," said Mr Bompas.

"What you have with the sandwich is the shock of informality. He was a daring man to eat in such a way coming from his social background."

Mr Bompas added that he found it odd that the sandwich did not exist before the Earl of Sandwich ordered meat between slices of bread.

"Other people were probably eating in that way anyway but they were people who weren't written about," he said.
'It's bizarre'

Over the weekend the east Kent town hosts sandwich-making competitions and re-enactments of the moment the fourth Earl of Sandwich asked for the food in bread.
Sandwich (food)
The fourth Earl of Sandwich was considered "a daring man" to eat with his fingers

Sandwich Celebration Festival organiser Mandy Wilkins said it had had interest from around the world, including America, Canada, Germany, Switzerland, France and Russia.

Ms Wilkins said: "The sandwich is a global food and Sandwich, our town, is just a little town full of medieval buildings.

On Sunday the 11th Earl of Sandwich, who shares his name with the fourth Earl after which the sandwich is said to be named, hosts a lunch in Sandwich.

John Montagu said: "I am delighted to wish a happy 250th birthday to the sandwich.

"My ancestor, the 4th Earl, could never have imagined that his simple invention would spawn a multi-billion dollar industry, employing hundreds of thousands of people in this country."

According to the British Sandwich Association the industry employs more than 300,000 people in the UK and has a commercial value of over £6bn.

Mr Montagu added: "My favourite sandwich is a traditional one: roast beef and hot horseradish on freshly baked bread."

Lord and Lady Douchebag!

Buffalo Budd

AWESOME!!!!!

Quite possibly the greatest invention ever!

Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 15, 2012, 01:39:23 PM

Sandwich not Portsmouth

'It's bizarre'

Sandwich (food)

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

mbw

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on May 18, 2012, 10:56:48 AM
Quote from: goodabouthood on May 18, 2012, 09:49:59 AM
Quote from: khalpin on May 17, 2012, 09:28:13 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on May 17, 2012, 08:56:07 PM
Speaking of the sandwich. . .

Boy finds finger in Arby's roast beef sandwich
Awesome!

What's the goofball smiling about? Gross!  :-o

My stomach turned just reading about it.

another reason why no one in their right mind should ever eat at arby's.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on May 18, 2012, 11:03:10 AM
Quote from: UncleEbinezer on May 18, 2012, 10:56:48 AM
Quote from: goodabouthood on May 18, 2012, 09:49:59 AM
Quote from: khalpin on May 17, 2012, 09:28:13 PM

Awesome!

What's the goofball smiling about? Gross!  :-o

My stomach turned just reading about it.

another reason why no one in their right mind should ever eat at arby's.

but the curly fries man, the curly fries...
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

By coincidence, today a coworker of mine got Arby's for lunch. I didn't want to ruin her meal by telling this story...
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 22, 2012, 03:48:51 PM
Man caught in Bangkok with six roasted golden baby fetuses in luggage

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/183297/man-caught-in-bangkok-with-six-roasted-golden-baby-fetuses-in-luggage/

That's definitely a strange story, but make sure to click the related story at the bottom. 'Man pleads guilty to sewing son's buttcheecks together.'

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/183322/man-pleads-guilty-to-sewing-sons-buttcheecks-together/
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 22, 2012, 03:48:51 PM
Man caught in Bangkok with six roasted golden baby fetuses in luggage

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/183297/man-caught-in-bangkok-with-six-roasted-golden-baby-fetuses-in-luggage/

Funny, I was just reading the same story. We have Aug to thank.
Is this still Wombat?