News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Greta Van Fleet!!!!

Started by mistercharlie, June 05, 2018, 08:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on October 25, 2018, 07:20:46 PM
Mr. C, I don't mean to diminish your view on these guys. I'm sure there are plenty of bands I've gone to see that most here would laugh at (cough - Jack Johnson). I just think there is a lot of hype for basically a recycled product. Maybe in 5 - 10 years, I'll be eating my words and you will have gotten in on the ground floor.

No, I totally understand people not liking them (and don't worry I've seen Jack Johnson live once too). I'm just happy that there is a young band making this kind of music again. I have been waiting for the return of real Rock and Roll and I think these kids are beginning to herald it in.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Hicks

I don't know man these days the whole retro thing has been done to death and if you're going to do a callback thing then you have to at least put your own spin on it. I'd argue The Black Crowes that did from the start and even if they did kinda bite The Stones and Faces, they were very much going against the grain of the hair metal bands that were everywhere in the pre-Nirvana music scene. 

I mean we've already had Jet, Wolfmother and Kings of Leon all serving up boring classic rock retreads fairly recently, do we really need more?

Maybe in 5 - 10 years, I'll be eating my words and you will have gotten in on the ground floor.

So you're saying: 

Listen to GVF in 2018
? ? ?
Retire a millionaire? 

Hmmm maybe I need to rethink things. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VA $l!m

Since we're talking redheads and bands that got called out for biting Zeppelin...  :rawk:

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

barnesy305

I think my problem with this band is that they don't seem to take the music they love and progress it forward. Unlike, in my opinion, people like Ty Segall, and others, who wear their influences on their sleeves while expanding on the sounds and taking them forward into something new and fresh.

mistercharlie

Quote from: barnesy305 on October 25, 2018, 11:25:04 PM
I think my problem with this band is that they don't seem to take the music they love and progress it forward. Unlike, in my opinion, people like Ty Segall, and others, who wear their influences on their sleeves while expanding on the sounds and taking them forward into something new and fresh.

Speaking of Ty... Fudge Sandwich comes out today, where he covers all his influences! I can't wait to hear his St. Stephen!!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mopper_smurf

My eldest had some friends over yesterday. One of them mentioned GVF and he got a thumbs down from the entire gang for mentioning them.  Mind you, these kids are 16 and 17 and into rock big time. Wolfmother was mentioned and those Aussies did add something to classic rock. Too bad it all turned to shit after their fist album

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Hicks on October 25, 2018, 08:38:04 PM

Maybe in 5 - 10 years, I'll be eating my words and you will have gotten in on the ground floor.

So you're saying: 

Listen to GVF in 2018
? ? ?
Retire a millionaire? 

Hmmm maybe I need to rethink things.

:laugh:

Maybe that wasn't the proper analogy. I meant to liken it to those who get turned on to a band early on and get their jaded vet card.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

westcider

staying in Mr. Crowley's house is a totally Jimmy Page thing to do, too

Hicks

My wife while watching them on SNL last night: 

"Why is he singing like that and why is he wearing that shirt?"

"Are they British?"

Me: "No I think they're from Ohio".

Her:   :shakehead:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mistercharlie

I honestly enjoy these kids. The show that the wife and I saw in Chicago last month was great. Sure, their wardrobe is a bit out there and kinda shtick-y, but they can put on a helluva good live show.

That being said... That was the worst performance I've seen them give and not at all up to snuff with what they are capable of doing. The song choices were odd too. The first song is up for a Grammy I believe, so I get that, but the second song they chose is not one of there best.

eta: Oh, and they're from Michigan.

zimbra

Not really for me but....They will bang all the women (daughters) and take large, heavy sacks of money to the bank every Monday morning.  Kudos. 
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mistercharlie

I know I'm probably the only one here who cares, but these kids took home the Grammy for Best Rock Album last night! I told you, they're going places. 

mopper_smurf

Quote from: mistercharlie on February 11, 2019, 05:28:43 AM
I know I'm probably the only one here who cares, but these kids took home the Grammy for Best Rock Album last night! I told you, they're going places.

A Grammy?  People care about that?
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: mopper_smurf on February 11, 2019, 07:46:22 AM

A Grammy?  People care about that?

I really cared about my grammy, she was a sweetheart.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

rowjimmy

millivanilli.gif