News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

susep's Corner

Started by susep, September 14, 2008, 01:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

Quote from: bluecaravan521 on September 24, 2008, 10:39:20 PM
That was sick susep.  Thank you so much for sharing that.  A truly incredible musical journey. +k

thx, glad you enjoyed it.

sls.stormyrider

listened this AM

whoa  :-)

anyone hear a little Spanish Jam shortly before Bobby Magee, about 30 min or so?

+k
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sophist

I'm downloading now, so I'll report back. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

susep

Quote from: slslbs on September 25, 2008, 09:59:02 AM
listened this AM

anyone hear a little Spanish Jam shortly before Bobby Magee, about 30 min or so?

+k

nice glad you liked it, I didn't hear the brief Spanish jam in this one but I did in the 9Sept. version, esp. the towards the latter 1/3.

Quote from: Sophist on September 25, 2008, 02:08:22 PM
I'm downloading now, so I'll report back. 

nice, look foward to your review/thoughts.

susep

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 23, 2008, 12:40:40 PM
I'm gonna post stream-of-gumbo-like as it goes along...

Jam begins w/ much ferocity out of drumz > everyone is playing with great energy.  Jerry's first deviation around 1:05 is breathtaking.  I'm sure playing the 'dam must have been epiphinous for them.  Jerry plays with a barage of notes, signaling he is already in a zone.  Things begin to mellow near 3:30, Garcia goes into one of his classic bluegrass picking styles before mellowing into some swing.  Nice space here, Phil laying it down sweet.  A lot of the notes Jerry plays remind of Hundred Year Hall.  I love his tone on this tour being a huge Fender fan.  Jam still mellow and spacey around 7:00 before Garcia begins a low funk riff increasing the pace.  Here he explodes into a The Other One tiger riff.  Billy and Phil re-convalesce.  Jerry switches to rythym and goes back into his TOO varied riff.  Picking up speed he leads in off that being chased by Lesh.  Keith and Bob chording aggressively, no doubt inspired by Garcia.  Main theme after 11:00 into Spanish Lady >
Heavy dissonance space, free.  Phil contemplating Footsteps, classic acid test like experimentation here.  Jerry emitting scary sounds, tweaking the wha.  Really hammering on his strings into a super growl Tiger, sounding very much like an animal roar(Garcia = Leo).  Growl into mellow space, Jerry way out ahead of everyone leaving the others meandering, confused, not in sync neither in tempo or key w/ Garcia.  More dissonance, Phil beginning to drop bombs w/ feedback.  Memories of the Luftwaffle, chaos.  In comes Billy and Phil to the rescue at 20:00 creating a nice segue.  Jer locks in at 20:40, nice high energy swing.  Bob low in the mix or seems not active.  Jerry downshifts into another finger modulation.  His strat emitting a great overall tone, tubular.  Garcia chording, trying to maintain the jam's initial propulsion.  Jam picks back up into another TOO themed jam >
Jerry and Keith hooking up well, great thematic jamming led by Garcia's energy and creativity.  More fingerpicking into cool chording by Jerry at 26:50 where he takes more flight, Bob underneath, Phil in between.  Great mix.  At 29:00 Jerry plays a unique series of notes, very experimental for the period.  The jam quiets w/ him and just Bob and Phil.  Garcia gazing into the audience.  Trippy Garcia, Bob laying down a nice chordal segue.  Slight Spanish Jam feel.  Sounds as though Jerry wants to end it but they keep spacing on before Bob and Phil drop into Bobby McGee >
nice version, inspired vocals.  Tasty leads by Jer, liquid.  Bakers-field Garcia. >
back into The OO, Jerry ripping off some more great lines.  2nd verse > WR.

A+

sophist

I listened to this TOO this past Thursday evening, and it was mind blowing.  The band was so, so tight.  I loved the tempo change during Bobby McGee.  It is also incredibly psychedelic too, and Jerry's tone and style seem a bit out of the norm in this version.  Great pick, and thanks for the download. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

cleech74

After reading all those crazy reviews, I can't wait to hear this on the drive into work.  :syf:

+k for the tunage. :-)

"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

VA $l!m

i'm confused. are we still talking about the other one from rotterdam?
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jam>

Thanks, man. Great choice. I believe I had this on cassette back in the day— unless it was another crazy Other One > Bobby McGee > Other One. Wow. I forget how sick 72 can be.

susep

Quote from: Sophist on September 29, 2008, 08:19:39 AM
I listened to this TOO this past Thursday evening, and it was mind blowing.  The band was so, so tight.  I loved the tempo change during Bobby McGee.  It is also incredibly psychedelic too, and Jerry's tone and style seem a bit out of the norm in this version.  Great pick, and thanks for the download. 

no prob, glad you liked it. 

Quote from: cleech74 on September 29, 2008, 08:30:30 AM
After reading all those crazy reviews, I can't wait to hear this on the drive into work.  :syf:

+k for the tunage. :-)

nice, hope it made your commute a little more enjoyable.

Quote from: VA slim on September 29, 2008, 10:35:24 PM
i'm confused. are we still talking about the other one from rotterdam?

yes

Quote from: jam> on September 30, 2008, 11:30:00 AM
Thanks, man. Great choice. I believe I had this on cassette back in the day— unless it was another crazy Other One > Bobby McGee > Other One. Wow. I forget how sick 72 can be.

indeed, my thoughts after dl'ing and listening to the European tour exactly.

sophist

Quote from: slslbs on September 25, 2008, 09:59:02 AM
listened this AM

+k
I meant to comment about this earlier.  I could see how you "heard" Spanish jam, but it sounded like a coincidence a la the highly debated 1995/12/31 FOTM tease.   

Mr Minor

Quote from: jam> on September 30, 2008, 11:30:00 AM

There were a few TOO> Bobby McGee> TOO from that Europe 72 run.  Can't remember them off hand, but I listened to the whole run in August and remember there being some cool segues in the second sets.

susep

phan graciously re-upped a Halley's Comet Mix I made awhile back:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2kv9tt

Enjoy!  thx phan!

1:13:04
mp3
192Kbps
100.35 MB

mehead

any chance of you posting the track listings?
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

susep

Quote from: mehead on November 09, 2008, 12:23:02 PM
any chance of you posting the track listings?

I'm preety sure it goes:

2Nov.94
14Dec.95
22Nov.97
28Dec.97
3Aug.98
11Nov.98
13July99
7Dec.99
24Feb.03
18Sept.00

have to re-listen to confirm.