News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R8/W04: 1994-10-26 Varsity Gym, Appalachian State University - Boone, NC

Started by rowjimmy, September 20, 2009, 08:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

rowjimmy

Wow...
So good you guys are re-re-re-re-re-listening before you can review it?

AntelopeFreeway

Been swamped at work and haven't had enough brain time to devote to a review.  I've listened to the show at least once though!

khalpin

Simple: The short, concise version to kick things off.

Ice: Real tight and featuring some kickass, slap-happy Gordon for everyone's enjoyment.  Very cool middle section.  Funky at first, then they venture into crazy-town for a bit.

NICU: Good spot for it and well-played.

Antelope: Opens up with a Dixie tease.  They kick into it with some tasty playing by Trey.  Great jam.  Real good job building the tension, which is what this is really all about.

Guyute: Always funny to hear the crowd's silence during the opening notes of this song during Fall '94.  Quality stuff here.  They play it with something to prove on this tour.

Dog Faced Boy: A short, little cool down.

Scent of a Mule: Slip in a little bluegrass for good measure.

Oh Kee Pa: Nice, playful and tight.  Love it.  Into:

Suzie: Right before this pairing would become a rarity.  Nice Page solo spot.

Jim: A nice, driving Jim closes out the set.

A good first set that's for the most part void of any exploratory jamming, but chock full of tightness.

Rift: Fast and tight.  Kicking off the set with some energy.

Bouncing: Early in a set is where this belongs, IMO.

Reba: Here we go!  Tight composed section.  Very smooth build here in the jam section.  Totally jamming out to this one in my basement, whilst "working from home".  Huge climax.  WOW!  That was awesome.

Axilla: Back with the high energy.  Complete with both a high-pitched scream from Mike and the Type II ending.

YEM: Here we go again!  Standard fall '94 VoL.  Probably would be starting to get sick of this by now if you were on tour.  Nice composed section.  And a nice funky vibe from Page during the WUDMTF segment.  ~13:00 they bring it down to a tasty, but quiet little section featuring some sweet playing by Trey and then build it up with a funky jam who's start is reminiscent of the 12/31/93 YEM jam, but this time with Page bringin' funk on the clav.  Real sweet stuff here.  Then with the Simple teases during the b&d segment.  Nice catapult/greenpeace mike vocal jam.

Cracklin Rosie: Oh, that wacky Fishman...

Bowie: Damn, this set sure is making up for the lack of jamming during the first.  Again, a tight composed section.  Starts to really pick up with a driving dissonant jam ~7:00.  Some random shouting thrown in there, too.  Gets real hot and then closes out with extreme heat and intensity.  Nice Bowie.

Nellie Kane: Acoustic style.  Real nice. 

Unknown bluegrass tune: Whatever it is, I really like it.

Foreplay/Long Time: Comical, yet awesome.  Another great thing about fall '94.  Might we see this during the acoustic set at Indio?  Nah, would never happen....

Amazing Grace: Meh.  I like how a couple people in the crowd laugh when they start.

The second set certainly made up for the lack of jamming in the first set.  Real solid playing throughout.  The band was certainly playing nice and tight on this night.  Personal highlight for me was the Reba.  Glorious version.  I had a lot of fun revisiting this one. A-.

pnchundi

simple- great version odd to hear as a stand alone, but its a good song
its ice- perfect for a cool fall night in the NC mtns.  You can really hear Mike in this taping.  Gets very rocking near the end
NICU- good combo and a good version
antelope- remember antelopes could be played anywhere, not just as a closer? Kick ass version.  Nearly explodes at the end
guyute- pretty solid and very ambitious after the antelope
dog faced- ok they are human after all
scent- good back and forth for trey and page and mike is funkin it up
oh kee pah>suzy- classic early 90s.  Oh kee is serious and suzy is just fun. Page sounds great and trey rips it
jim- great version and really well played.  But compared to last week's space jim :)

rift- good god fish is playing fast. almost spins out of control
bouncing- actually a really good version
reba- wow.  the first listen i thought this fell flat but on the second take i really appreciated it.  It was not about the explosive ending, but more about the exploration of the quiet spaces before the peak
axilla 2-
yem>vibes>yem awesome! just after nirvana is reached we get 7 beats per second The rest of Yem is tight and playful.  Is mike teasing simple in the DnB?
vocal>catapult I almost skipped to the next track but this is a great vocal jam.  really fucked up and weird and the catapult on top is funny
HYHU>Cracklin Rose- I once made a 60 min tape of crackling rosie.  Good stuff
Bowie- For realz? Fantastic bowie, flies through the early sections without missing a thing.  And then it gets out there and gets better.  Great playing by all, although Trey just steals mah face

Nellie Cane-
Rag-
Foreplay/Longtime
Amazing Grace

Long encore, classic 94, but...

This show is great.  Both sets are really well done, good song selection and good pairing of styles without ever really slowing down.  Antelope is red hot, as is Reba and Bowie.  The YEM is hilarious one.  The encore is a good one, but leaves me wanting something else.  I think I will keep the first two sets on my ipod and leave off the 3rd disc. A-   And it sounds great! You can really hear Mike and he used to get washed. 

pnchundi

AntelopeFreeway

Opening comments:  Nice Antelope, Reba, Bowie  I give this show a B+

Simple - Nice version, a little extended on the outro, nice sounds

It's Ice - Git some Page!  has a bit of extra imagination thrown into the middle

NICU - well played

Antelope - excellent.  Smokin' track - don't listen too hard, your ears might just burn off

Guyute - Pork.  the other white meat.  Well cooked this time around

Dog Faced Boy - A funny, tender song.  I always like this one

Scent - Keeping the animal theme alive - too bad they didn't go into Possum after this one.  Page has some nice things to say in this rendition.

Oh Kee Pa - well done.

Suzy Greenberg - nothing special here

Runaway Jim - Nice, tightly played.

Great energy in set 1.  Some nice touches here and there, nothing too outside.  A solid set.

Rift - nice start.  This gets us right back where we left off in set 1.

Reba - nice jam.  Good whistling.  This version does IT for me.

Axilla - Rock On!  nice jam outro

YEM - nice feel to it.  Simple teases.  Vocal jam more interesting than most.

Cracklin' Rosie - it is what it is.

David Bowie - niiiiice.

Nellie Cane-
Foreplay/Longtime
Amazing Grace

A nice encore to end a good show.  As I said earlier this is B+/A- territory.  Pretty much a Fall '94 standard.

pnchundi

possible spoiler but i dont know shit....

Do you think the acoustic set at 8 will be like the encore? or will they break out songs and jam them? and I am thinking acoustic army will make an appearance

PIE-GUY

Phish
10/26/1994
Varsity Gym
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC

Set 1

01 Simple – Great opener. They played the heck out of this tune on this tour.

02 It's Ice – always fun early in a set

03 NICU – likewise! A dance tune if ever there was one.

04 Run Like an Antelope – OK, that's unexpected this early in the 1st set! I like it. Seems like the jam is all Page about 4 minutes in. That's unusual. The energy here is insane. And there's Page just owning the jam again around the 8 minute mark! Jam peaks shortly thereafter. Great 'lope, for sure.

05 Guyute – I liked it better without the whistling. These fall 94 Guyute's sparkle like a shiny new car. You smell that new-car scent? Ain't it nice?

06 Dog Faced Boy – catch your breath.

07 Scent of a Mule – I love to hear Page do his thing on piano here.

08 The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony – fun

09 Suzy Greenberg – Jammin'! Go Page again. On fire tonight, I tell ya!

10 Runaway Jim – not just for breakfast (openers) anymore!

SET II

01 Rift – kick it off.

02 Bouncing Around the Room – ok.

03 Reba – 2nd set reba's are always a treat. This one's really nice. The peak is intense!

04 Axilla II – prefer "I" but can't complain.

05 You Enjoy Myself – VoL is always good for what ails ya! Nice jam with a brief Simple tease right as Mike gets into his solo. And Catapult is a treat no matter how they squeeze it in.

06 HYHU > Cracklin Rose > HYHU -  fun

07 David Bowie – Solid set closer – great freakin' Bowie! Interesting dark jam in the beginning. Hints at some of the crazy places Bowie was destined to travel as the fall wore on.

ENCORE

01 Nellie Kane@ - Love it.

02 Foreplay > Long Time – loved it and miss it!

03 Amazing Grace – peace.     

Good pick, old boy. I saw a ton of shows this fall, all before this one. In fact, I saw the show 1 night earlier in Atlanta and it was solid, too. Fall 94 is my favorite tour of all Phishtory. This show includes elements that point to why it was my favorite. The acoustic bluegrass, the crazy Bowie's, Guyute, etc. Everything about the fall shows I saw was perfect.

The thing about this show is you know they were spending all of their free time at this point learning the White Album. They were rehearsing every chance they could get on the road. Even though none of the songs they were rehearsing showed up here, you can just sense how tight these guys are on this tour. Just plain solid.

I give it an A.   
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

G. Augusto

Simple - Has opened 2 show club picks... :wink: Nice tempo with some space during the outro. I like it in this slot.

Ice - Great composed section. Some sweet interplay for the "jam" section. A tad funky, but it seems that they wanted to stray from the funky versions that appeared all throughout the Summer Tour.

NICU - Mike is extra chunky on this version.

Antelope - Very odd placement, but welcomed. The modulation during the jam was great. This jam is just straight ahead frantic. Really tight version. Extra (and evil) outro section.

Guyute - Loved it when it was new. It started to wear on me after 10-07  :wink: but I still liked it two weeks later.

DFB - Standard

Scent - Enough Scent in the Show Club! Mike has some fun with vocals. At least the Duel was still good in '94...

OKP > Suzy - Nice and funky. Crowd pleaser.

Jim - Coulda closed it with the above duo, but they throw this one in there. Sounds like Trey is losing his voice a bit. Good version.

Rift/Bouncing - ::no notes::

Reba - Really a great version. Breeze through the composed section and the jam is great. Relaxed feel to start it off. Trey and Fish link up nicely to smash the heck out of the tail end of the jam.

Axilla - They skip one "Axilla" the first time around, yet still nail it.

YEM - Like most Fall shows, this one has a VOL. You can actually feel the bass on this copy! Trey goes for one more "note". He's so excited that Paul throws on some extra echo for the scream! Trey brings it down nicely during the jam. A reoccurring jam theme pops up with Page clavin' it up which eventually leads to the peaks. Some Simple quotes by Trey during the DnB.

Catapult - Actually part of the vocal jam as the other guys let Fish recite this over them.

Rosie - Of the Cracklin' variety.

Bowie - And the cows come out to play. Short intro with some mumblings by Fish. Smashed the composed sections into submission. Jams starts of very trippy. Tense and ragin' is what this version is! Awesome way to close out the set.

Nellie - Mountain Music!

Beaumont Rag - 1st Page Bass solo EVAR! (Not listed in the HPB, but it was played)

Foreplay/Longtime - Again, this one was boring after 10-07  :wink:

Grace - I guess it rounds out the acoustic encore nicely, but an electric anything would have been nice.

This show doesn't really have a "highlight" but does provide an accurate snapshot of where they were during October '94.
Overall, a well played show.
I give it a B+.
a

mbw

I
simple -  cool dirty intro....great opener

ice - wow, second tune of the night!  awesome jazzy jam in the middle.   on point!  slam back easily into the structure of the song a la fish

nicu - slowed down version.  i like where this show is headed....

antelope - SER trey shreddage.  strange, cool effect during 'rye rye......

guyute - bam!  almost acepella first verse from trey.  also played a notch slower?

dog faced - nice rare slow down.

mule - chance for everyone to show off their chops.  good stuff.

okp>suzy - fun.  nothing legendary, but fun.

jim - nice rocking set closer!

II
rift - a just ok version with usual flubs

bouncin - round the room

reba - great reba here.  haunting beauty of a solo from trey.

axilla II - rockin

yem - w/ vob!  halpin beat me to it with the 12/31/93 call.  very similar repeating structure in the jam.  extra long bass n drums  :-)  the vocal jam seems to fall apart right when it starts. but fish saves the day with an ultra crazy...

catapult -  :roll: into green peace mike chants to finish up the vocal jam

cracklin rosie - fun hyhu intro into one of my fav fish covers....

bowie - strange 'till the cows come home beginning.... super chaotic, rockin bowie with strange breakdowns throughout.

E
nellie kane - a little phish mountain music

they played something else?  musta missed it.

foreplay/longtime - totally cool.

grace - will lead me home....

fun show!  a bunch of heavy hitters, while not played at their peak for this time frame, was still great to hear all in one show.  B+

sophist

Quote from: pnchundi on September 26, 2009, 10:03:59 AM
possible spoiler but i dont know shit....

Do you think the acoustic set at 8 will be like the encore? or will they break out songs and jam them? and I am thinking acoustic army will make an appearance
what does this have to do with this show?

My review will be up by this afternoon.  sorry for the delay, long, long weekend. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

G. Augusto

rowjimmy

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!