News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

05/27 - Bethel Center for the Arts - Bethel NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by whatapiper, May 27, 2011, 11:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

They are pretty together through most the show. They seem to know what they're doing. It seems like they are a looser too. Which can open up to some sweet jamz, if they want to.
And Treys tone seems a little cleaner...

sophist

This Tweezer is really good.  Trey's been practicing.  His dexterity is back, his phrasing is awesome, and he's fucking channeling into a little jedi.  It's not over the top RAWK either.  I'm digging how he does a soaring run and falls back into the pocket, allowing the rest of the band the chance to breathe.  The segue into MFMF is iffy, ~> , it sounded like the rest of the band wanted to take that Tweezer to the outer regions of rage.  Perhaps next time.  MFMF is solid. 

More to come as I listen to this. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Undermind

Quote from: sophist on May 28, 2011, 09:16:16 AM
This Tweezer is really good.  Trey's been practicing.  His dexterity is back, his phrasing is awesome, and he's fucking channeling into a little jedi.  It's not over the top RAWK either.  I'm digging how he does a soaring run and falls back into the pocket, allowing the rest of the band the chance to breathe.  The segue into MFMF is iffy, ~> , it sounded like the rest of the band wanted to that Tweezer to the outer regions of rage.  Perhaps next time.  MFMF is solid. 

He also does some interesting stuff during Bitch actually and now I am listening to him tear apart this Wolfmans!

oh and the segue from Wolfman's into Walk Away is butter and deserves the ->
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

Undermind

Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

emay

Quote from: Undermind on May 28, 2011, 09:17:27 AM
This Tweezer is really good.  Trey's been practicing.  His dexterity is back, his phrasing is awesome, and he's fucking channeling into a little jedi.  It's not over the top RAWK either.  I'm digging how he does a soaring run and falls back into the pocket, allowing the rest of the band the chance to breathe.  The segue into MFMF is iffy, ~> , it sounded like the rest of the band wanted to that Tweezer to the outer regions of rage.  Perhaps next time.  MFMF is solid. 

He also does some interesting stuff during Bitch actually and now I am listening to him tear apart this Wolfmans!

Yeah he throws in some quick notes in Funky Bitch....I literally  :-o almost dropped my coffee. Shit was hot. First set down, set 2 up next. This summer tour is gonna be  :crazy: :music: :music: :music: :music:

Undermind

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on May 28, 2011, 09:20:31 AM
Quote from: Undermind on May 28, 2011, 09:17:27 AM

Yeah he throws in some quick notes in Funky Bitch....I literally  :-o almost dropped my coffee. Shit was hot. First set down, set 2 up next. This summer tour is gonna be  :crazy: :music: :music: :music: :music:

Like I said last night RJ should quit Phish more often.   :music: :music: :banana: :banana:

Undermind

review from phishhook:

QuoteThe bands sound. I don't know if the band changed some of their gear for this tour or if it was Bethel's great sound system, but the band sounded loud and in your face tonight. Trey has gone for a crunchier tone and left the whale call whammy at home, while Mike seems to be using a larger speaker cabinet than in the past (very deep pulsating bass). Either way, when the first notes of tweezer started to open the show, the bass was pumping and all four members could be clearly heard in the mix. 

sophist

Poor Heart is played well.  False start with Roses by Trey, but I don't give a shit about that.  Kind of funny to hear him scratch out six beats.  They sound good.  The compositions thus far are tight.  Vocally they don't sound any better.  Trey's voice is still scratchy and flat at times, i.e. this Roses is brutal from a singing standpoint.  However, I never got into to Phish for their singing ability, so it's not something I'd linger over or be frustrated with. 

I'd also like to add that the SBD's have a better tone to them.  They've improved a lot for 3.0. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

McGrupp

I love how you can hear Trey saying "What the fuck..." right before they bust into Carini  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

Huge fucking lift off with Funky Bitch.  Trey's got his comping skills back too.  I'm loving how he's hitting inverted chords and jumping octaves at times with this.  Mike sounds fantastic.  Master and commander on the fret board too.  He's dominating this shit.  Fish is on point as well.  Nailing all the accents from Trey's playing.  Monster fills.  God Damn Boys.  I'm finally stoked about seeing these guys. 

thatfargone

Thanks to Starbucks internet, I should actually hear this today.

Better be worth the drive, people in Waynesboro suck.
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

McGrupp

Quote from: thatfargone on May 28, 2011, 09:36:43 AM

www.whitewhine.com

:wink:
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

Quote from: thatfargone on May 28, 2011, 09:36:43 AM

I think you're going to hate to love this, or maybe love to hate this.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Undermind

Quote from: sophist on May 28, 2011, 09:35:29 AM
Huge fucking lift off with Funky Bitch.  Trey's got his comping skills back too.  I'm loving how he's hitting inverted chords and jumping octaves at times with this.  Mike sounds fantastic.  Master and commander on the fret board too.  He's dominating this shit.  Fish is on point as well.  Nailing all the accents from Trey's playing.  Monster fills.  God Damn Boys.  I'm finally stoked about seeing these guys.

Wow!  Glad you're enjoying it as much as me.  I'm even listening to Bouncing and I'm not high!   :beers:

Undermind

This 1st set will get more playback then most 3.0 1st sets for me.  Right up there with Manchester.