News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Trey's California December Tour

Started by mattstick, December 07, 2006, 02:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

12/6/06 Eureka Municipal Auditorium

Eureka, CA December 6, 2006 07:30 PM

Set One

* Simple Twist Up Dave
    * Drifting
    * Words to Wanda
    * Love that Breaks all Lines
    * Mozambique
    * Night Speaks to a Woman
    * Shine
    * Small Axe
    * Goodbye Head>
    * Dragonfly

Set Two

* Mud City>
    * Low
    * Flock of Words
    * Sweet Dream Melinda
    * Last Tube
    * Come as Melody

Encore

* Push on Til the Day

jonyem

Text book set list, from the looks of it, but I'll have to have a listen when it's seeded.

ucusty

im sure some serious puffin was going on.......
:beers:

trey+ganja= good

rowjimmy

I have some friends who live a couple blocks from there... Wonder if they decided to go. They were leaving early today for Jamaica... so it was up in the air. I'll get a full review, if available, and get back to yous guys when my plane lands on Monday...

cactusfan

anyone going to the SF shows?
i'll be there tonight and tomorrow.

August

Buried Alive opener tonight!
pretty cool!
a

mattstick

12/7/06 The Warfield Theatre

San Francisco, CA December 7, 2006 08:32 PM

Set One

* Buried Alive
    * Alive Again
    * What's Done
    * Tuesday
    * Wherever You Find It
    * Last Tube

Set Two

* Sand
    * Shine
    * Mr. Completely
    * Let me Lie
    * Dragonfly
    * Spin

nab

Quote from: mattstick on December 08, 2006, 03:14:47 AM
12/7/06 The Warfield Theatre

San Francisco, CA December 7, 2006 08:32 PM

Set One

* Buried Alive
    * Alive Again
    * What's Done
    * Tuesday
    * Wherever You Find It
    * Last Tube

Set Two

* Sand
    * Shine
    * Mr. Completely
    * Let me Lie
    * Dragonfly
    * Spin

Now that looks good! :banana:

cactusfan

i saw the show tonight.
i'd call it a solid warm-up.
not spectacular, but high energy.

set I:
buried alive - great opener. haven't heard this tune in awhile. all the horn players got solos.
night speaks - a good, shortish rock version.
alive again - nice grooves, nothing great.
what's done - decent version. i don't know the song that well.
tuesday - not one of my favorites, but played okay.
wherever - didn't make much of an impression.
last tube - the rhythm section was on fire for this tune, but trey just couldn't get it together. he kept trying different things, but nothing clicked. ended up playing a lot of rhythmic stuff, but nothing at all interesting. then he ended the song.

set II:
sand - i think trey wanted to show he actually still could play. not super-long, just a lot of trey going off. one of the highlights of the show.
shine - i don't really like the song, but this was a high energy, soaring version.
mr. completely - pretty good, not too long. trey didn't do much. it was a showcase for the horns.
dark and down - this was another highlight. great guitar playing.
let me lie - didn't like this one much.
dragonfly - i find this song kind of annoying. glad they got it out of the way tonight.
spin - the jam was great for a long time. eventually i wanted it to really go crazy, but trey just kind of found an end out of the groove. up till the end it was my favorite jam of the night.

encore:
mozambique - bouncy version. felt similar to buried alive, which made for nice bookends. stopped abruptly mid-jam as trey started:
push on till the day - solid version.

i'm psyched for friday...

mattstick

12/8/06 Warfield Theatre

San Francisco, CA December 8, 2006 08:38 PM

Set One

* Percussion Parade thru crowd
    * Stash
    * Simple Twist up Dave
    * Drifting
    * Case of Ice and Snow
    * Sleep Again
    * Money Love and Change
    * Cincinnati

Set Two

* First Tube
    * Mud City
    * The Way I Feel
    * Inlaw Josie Wales@
    * Invisible@
    * Love That Breaks All Lines@
    * Sultans Of Swing

Encore:

* Gotta Jibboo
    * Last Tube>
    * Bar 17

Show Notes:
@Trey solo acoustic.

flow00

The 12/8 show looks pretty good. Stash? Can't wait to hear that. Anyone know what the percussion parade was about? Thanks for posting the setlist, Matt.

cactusfan

this show kicked ass.
soooo much better than thursday.
holy god was it insane.

so on thursday, as push on till the day was grooving along, everyone but the horn players picked up cowbells or other percussion toys and, borrowing a page from ozomatli, they all kept playing as they climbed off the stage and walked through the crowd to end the show.

friday night the lights go down, but there's no band. we're all waiting when we hear the horns and the drumming from last night, and the band winds its way from the back of the venue through the crowd up to the stage. one dude on the floor has this enormous burning doobie which he offers up to trey as trey walks by. trey leans over and takes a drag off it before continuing up to the stage.

at first i thought they were going to finish push on till the day, but instead they all stop-- and then tear into stash. the place of course goes nuts. the horns all played trey's guitar parts, with trey playing too. everyone was reading sheets of music for the composed section. i imagine it'll sound a little loose on tape, but live it was a blast. the jam didn't go too far out, but it was a great opener.

the whole first set rocked. money love and change was the highlight. trey just kept building it up, not wanting to stop. he was so pumped up for this show.
cincinnati was huge, too. starts off with a normal jam, then trey stops it and drops into maybe two minutes of dark space noise before bursting back into the jam. it was intense.

first tube (which i called, by the way), was really long, went all over the place and then segued like butter into mud city, which was also a huge long jam. i don't know how long these two songs were, but they felt like 45 minutes or so.
the way i feel was a nice break.
then the acoustic songs.
then they nailed sultans of swing.

jibboo was a long dance groove.
then trey says tony really wants to play the next song, so they go into last tube, jam it for not too long, then into bar 17. the song part of which i didn't like much, but they jam it out for awhile, kind of lose me for a bit, then come back for a big finish.
at which point trey takes off his guitar, but tony keeps up some ambient noise, so trey immediately puts his guitar back on, joins in with the ambience, says he doesn't want to leave, that he wants to keep playing, so they go into 46 days. which isn't jammed too long. instead they do as they did last night, pick up percussion instruments and walk out through the crowd.

this is easily one of the best trey shows i've ever seen.
people give him a hard time on this board, and on tape his shows are of course no match for listening to phish, but when he brings it live, there's nothing else i'd rather be seeing.
he was literally bouncing around the room last night.

mattstick

Thanks for the review - I hope the energy and enthusiasm builds up over the next few California shows and peaks at the first Trey New Years gig!

August

birdman

Thanks for the reviews Cactus :beers:

Sounds like the show was a blast
Paug FTMFW!