News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/15 - UIC Pavilion - Chicago, IL - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Superfreakie, August 16, 2011, 01:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barnesy305

Quote from: kellerb on August 16, 2011, 06:05:36 PM
Quote from: barnesy305 on August 16, 2011, 04:19:38 PM
Maybe he had a bat in the cave.

If I had a bat in the cave onstage, I'd totally walk back to the amp and evict said bat covert-style.  I always feel like people are staring at the bat.

Let's just hope it wasn't a boulder ala Neil Young in The Last Waltz.

kellerb

Quote from: barnesy305 on August 16, 2011, 07:55:34 PM
Quote from: kellerb on August 16, 2011, 06:05:36 PM
Quote from: barnesy305 on August 16, 2011, 04:19:38 PM
Maybe he had a bat in the cave.

If I had a bat in the cave onstage, I'd totally walk back to the amp and evict said bat covert-style.  I always feel like people are staring at the bat.

Let's just hope it wasn't a boulder ala Neil Young in The Last Waltz.

That was like an 80's deerlick

Gumbo72203

"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

I don't care what you say, this is pretty sick:  TREY FINALLY FIGURED HOW TO PIERCE THE HOOD ENDING!@!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMhvx4lZLFo&feature=related

sls.stormyrider

all I can say is that set 2 is a very nice surprise.

did anyone notice the date (or like me, are you trying to put that out of your mind)?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Gumbo72203

HOLY OMGGGGG  THIS UNDERMIND!!!!!

seriously, the setlist needs to read:  Waves -> Undermind -> JAM -> Steam.

that outro jam.... oh my god.  OH MY GOD.  Phish can do that.  melodic glistening joy-grooving conteplationary relaxation. 

If you watch the video, theres a portion when the camera is in front of Mike during the outro jam, and theres a point when Trey gets the solo over the progression together, and Page gets to the theremin, and Mike cracks this awesome shit-eating grin.  Like, he's laughing at how good they're playing.  Its fucking awesome.

Tomapella

Quote from: slslbs on August 17, 2011, 08:17:21 PM
all I can say is that set 2 is a very nice surprise.

did anyone notice the date (or like me, are you trying to put that out of your mind)?

I didn't even think about it until I read that, thanks a lot :wink:

Coming back to it, the last few minutes of the Undermind are definitely one of the best parts of the show.  I thought Trey must be quoting another song at the time, but no, it was just that melodic of a jam.  The theremin was a really nice touch, too.

jedifunk

i actually preferred the earlier section of the undermind jam, just a great groovy jam.

also i didn't like that the transition from the groove into the spacey/ambient/theremin jam wasn't even a transition.  they didn't even try.  :(

basically they killed off the groove, let it die down to nothing, and started up the theremin jam.

still, all things considered, a very nice and very welcome jam.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Hicks

Let's just pretend this show ended with Silent in the Morning.    :wink:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

susep

15Aug.2011 - set II

Sand - solid jam to begin, ever present Mike, Trey sounding more on then in previous tours, interesting contrast these straight forward Sand jams compared to their earlier, younger loop laced brethren, nice subtle key shift, Trey w/ some nice sustain and economy, yeah baby, this is similar to the Trey of old, holding bends for the sustain before dropping back into wild flourishes, nice transition into a subtle x space, Trey unrelenting, nice key bombs by Page, No Quarter esque Page, Mike dropping Sand proper, Page raging the clav, nice swing by Trey, industrial wall/siren, nirvana esque undercurrents, whale call yells, Phish!  into

Light - nice transition, love Fish in this jam, strong, active drumming, Mike on melodic point, nice dual lines by Trey/Page, nice B3 action by Page, Page quick in his arsenal, Trey trying his McLaughlin best, Mike pulling the groove down, Trey still not wanting to resolve, Stash like jam, Trey reaching, hypnotic Fish, nice rain by Page, how deep is it?, ascending progression by Trey, Fish still holding it together underneath, Trey switches over to chords, more dissonant space, Trey sounding preety lost whereas before he was much more fluid in their free jam spaces, interesting little jam/march before Trey pulls the momentum into

Dirt - nc

Waves - mellow jam out of last vocal, cool effect by Mike, the Shapiro effect, Trey looking to hook up his metal clank/riff, Mike hooks up which springboards Trey into lead action, Character Zero esque jam!, Zack Wylde Trey, again Mike providing the template, Foxey Lady Trey, solid last 1 minute = 3.0 hallmark into

Undermind - love that Trey continues to sing and maintain the previous dark space of Waves, Summer '97 Trey lead effect, juicy Page on the clav, Page pushing himself and the jam, Fish stepping it up, collective gallop, Party Time like beat, kick drum jam > again subtle Trey on rhythm, more gallop, lead horse Mike, Trey lost in an industrial haze, Page adding subtle filler, Mike stepping it up big time, Trey resorts to rhythm underneath Mike's furious lead/anchor, great Page, sweet collective jam here, slight consonance vibe, they push it out in front, drifting in its ripples, purple hues, trippy ambient/alien chant jam, Trey teasing something or is that just a tripped out variation of the Undermind melody?, Pink Floyd esque vocal chants, more ambient/alien thrust into

Steam - nice landing off previous jam(s), straight ahead jam, trippy last 30 esc. into

Fire - nc

E

Camel Walk - nc

Guyute - nc

Horse/Silent - nc

Hood - I'm sure people were shitting ala Augusta Reba, nice variation of something as they open the jam, again Trey on the clank?, Mike leading the melodic charge, where is Trey?  drops in subtly, thumping Mike(which can sometimes be a deterance in Hood waters), Trey hitting all of the right Hood cues, looking for something, Fish taking cue, great mix btw, Trey building, split open and Mike!, Trey resorting to a half filled bag of tricks, trills his way out of trouble, Trey breaking through nicely into the ionosphere, not really a cohesive peak, they all know how to get there, as long as their holding on to each other it seems to work, you can feel ok about this Hood.

Good to hear the boys trying to push new ground but ultimately in most spaces they sound like a more refined version of themselves not able, or barely able to escape the very concept they are presenting improvisationaly speaking.  Sand had a few highlights.  Light was interesting in that Trey seemed to really struggle in their free moments, they sounded better/more cohesive when he laid off his clank and let Mike lead, in short, Trey is incapable of leading improvisational Phish.  Waves was ok setting up a nice foundation and transition for Undermind = superb version w/ great Mike led jamming.     

aphineday

I was pretty happy overall with the second set of this show. The beauty at the end of Undermind is simply one of the reasons I love Phish. The jam was pretty great, and I was already extremely impressed, but when they brought the ending in, I really felt it clicking. Lots of other goodness in this set, and I gotta say that it confused the Hell out of me. If they played like this every night (or any where close).. oh the possibilities.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

gainesvillegreen

Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

emay