News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

stereo receiver help

Started by sls.stormyrider, August 23, 2014, 10:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

I have a Marantz 4320 receiever I bought in 06. This morning the volume control got fucked up and doesn't work

so

1- is it worth trying to fix?

2- If not, what should I look for in a new one? I'm not interested in high end, audiophile, just a good receiver (current is 80 W per channel and has enough power for me)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PIE-GUY

Quote from: slslbs on August 23, 2014, 10:07:36 AM
I have a Marantz 4320 receiever I bought in 06. This morning the volume control got fucked up and doesn't work

so

2- If not, what should I look for in a new one? I'm not interested in high end, audiophile, just a good receiver (current is 80 W per channel and has enough power for me)

After some great discussions with our resident audio expert, Hicks, I landed on a Denon that I have been really happy with.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mbw

my marantz is crapping out on me too.  only a couple years old.
the only place in town that is an authorized marantz repair shop really bends you over.
so im kinda pissed.

PIE-GUY

It's really disappointing. There are so many 30+ year old Marantz amps out there still plugging away like brand new while the last 15 years of Marantz systems are all crapping out.

Hicks

Hmmm that sucks, but a volume knob should be a pretty easy fix, it might just have dirt in there.

My Marantz from 2010 is still going strong.    ::knocks on wood::

I would say with current build qualities it isn't realistic to expect mass market receivers to last longer than 10 years these days after heavy use.

They truly don't make em like they used to.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

antelope19

Onkyo, FTW. I bought mine around the same time(2006) and my parents that they gave me(purchased in 1985ish) is still going strong.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

PIE-GUY

I also have a basic 2-channel Onkyo that's at least 15 years old and going strong.

sls.stormyrider

very strange

it's working fine now

The problem started when I tried to increase the volume with my Harmony remote from another room. At 1st, nothing happened, then it suddenly topped out. I tried to get it down with the remote, no dice.
I ran from the kitchen to the family room and manually turn it down, which worked, but then it didn't go up. I turned it off, waited a while, the volume would go up a little and then on it's own go back down back to 0 (or, according to the dial, - 80). Turned off, turned on, repeat, same problem.
left the house, came back a few hours later, just for kicks tried it again and it's fine.
I also was afraid that going to full juice would have blown a speaker, but fortunately it didn't.

I guess something temporarily shorted and then fixed itself
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Bobafett

The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

anthrax

Quote from: PG on August 23, 2014, 10:10:31 AM

so

After some great discussions with our resident audio expert, Hicks, I landed on a Denon that I have been really happy with.

I'm in the market for a new stereo receiver that I will run surround sound and a lot of audio out of.  PG, what kind of Denon do you have? 

I've had a basic Pioneer for about 25+ years.  It's been an absolute work horse, so I may be looking to go Pioneer again.

Any thoughts?  Paging Mr. Hicks.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: anthrax on October 13, 2014, 10:37:11 AM
Quote from: PG on August 23, 2014, 10:10:31 AM

so

I'm in the market for a new stereo receiver that I will run surround sound and a lot of audio out of.  PG, what kind of Denon do you have? 

I've had a basic Pioneer for about 25+ years.  It's been an absolute work horse, so I may be looking to go Pioneer again.

Any thoughts?  Paging Mr. Hicks.

I have this one that has since been discontinued. I'm sure there is a new version.

Link: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004Z50L6E

It's great because it has a little microphone that you can place in the "sweet spot" of the room and it will automatically calibrate your surround sound speakers for that spot - that said, I wish it was more customizable as far as EQ, etc.

Caravan2001

so

My circa 2011 Marantz had an issue with the volume.  When I used the knob instead if the remote, it jumped all over the place.  Like Hicks said, it could be a little debris.  I popped off the knob, hit it with some compressed air, spaced out the little dial thingy with a flathead so it would fit tighter and it's been 100% since.  Super stoked on my Marantz, I love it.

Buffalo Budd

Found one of these at a decent price. Just curious if anyone has any experience with these and if it would make much of a difference to my vinyl listening.
Rega Fono Moving coil phono pre-amp
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mbw

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 24, 2015, 10:55:00 AM
Found one of these at a decent price. Just curious if anyone has any experience with these and if it would make much of a difference to my vinyl listening.
Rega Fono Moving coil phono pre-amp

looks pretty sweet.  what do you currently use to drive your turntable?

Quote from: mbw on August 23, 2014, 10:37:17 AM
my marantz is crapping out on me too.  only a couple years old.
the only place in town that is an authorized marantz repair shop really bends you over.
so im kinda pissed.

UPDATE:
so, i brought my marantz in shortly after this post to the hell shop.
they gave me the runaround for 6 months , before finally telling me it can't be repaired cause marantz doesn't have the parts anymore.
i have read that they will charge you a 'bench fee' if they can't fix it so i have just decided to abandon it there.
if you would like to read some of the worst yelp reviews for any business out there, check out Just Service.

bought a Denon from Crutchfield and it arrived the other day and so far it is great.
just in time for the MSG 95 release.  yep, haven't spun a record until the other day for 6 months. 
feels good to be back.

Buffalo Budd

That's really shitty mbw, you'd think you'd get some more service with a name like Marantz.

I'm currently using a Pioneer receiver with a Pioneer equalizer, Technics SL-220 table..
Hoping to ditch the receiver and EQ in favor of a new Pro-ject Debut Carbon and this Rega. I'm just really clueless when it comes to some of this stuff so I was hoping to get some input from those in the know.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.