News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W08: 10-31-1986 Sculpture Room, Goddard College Plainfield, VT

Started by Hicks, July 03, 2006, 04:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thelot

10-12-86 Haybarn Theatre, Goddard College, Plainfield, VT

01. Golgi Apparatus* >
02. Slave to the Traffic Light
03. Wilson*
04. Haley's Comet^
05. Possum
06. Sneakin Sally
07. Makisupa Policeman

* earliest known versions
^ w/Nancy on vocals

*notes*
While not an exceptional recording by any means, this is surely some great early Phish captured on tape. Despite the distant sound, the overall sound of the tape was quite good considering the age. While the source info is not "nailed", below is the email that led me to the tape:

An etree friend has come across a cassette that he believes to be from this show.

If in fact this show is from this date, it would definitely be the first Wilson and Golgi known (supplanting the current first known for those 2 which is 10/15/1986). My friend has actually not listened to this show, but he lives in San Diego and got it from a guy he works with who was at Goddard College in 1986 (kind of an odd coincidence I would say) since his coworker approached him knowing my friend was into Phish.

Rather than paraphrase everything told to me, here is exactly what my friend told me about this tape/show:
Tom [his coworker] told me he wasn't sure of the exact date, but that he did go to the show. He said that it was in a barn. Actually, he said when he went there opened up the wrong door and was on or near the stage and was looking at the whole crowd staring back at him before he went around to the entrance. Anyway, he tells me that it was in October 1986 at Goddard College so I can only assume it is the October 12,1986 Haybarn Theater, Goddard College, Plainfield, VT show. Tom got it from
Del Martin and the only information that I have is that Del gave him a copy of the tape (which was taped off of Del's recording). I have a copy of Tom's tape. Tom said he is pretty sure that Del had a 4-track and was recording with 2 mics. Other than that I don't know any other info except a setlist or partial setlist he gave me which is: Golgi-(first time?)> Slave to the Traffic Light, Wilson (first time?), Haley's Comet w/ Nancy, Possum, Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley, Makisupa Policeman. Since I don't have a good tape player and I don't want to jack it up by listening to it. Can you or do you know anybody that can put it in flac or shn format for digital transfer? I really don't want to get hopes up too high because I haven't listened to it, but I think that it should be okay. I didn't ask what type of precautions he took with this tape over the last 20 years.

Hicks

Well slap me and call me Susan!  I guess I should have looked in the db instead of phish.net, oh wait I can't!   :|

Anyway set II wrap up. 

Jam: was cool, definitely not the "must hear" that the mockingbird site calls it though.  I really thought they nailed the segue into . . .

AC/DC Bag:  I actually kind of dig Page on the electric for this instead of grand, gives it more of a funky feel.  I really liked the way they stretched the end out and then repeated it a few times, I can imagine them doing that with a later, "bigger" sound to grand effect. 

Swing Low Sweet Chariot:  I love Phish in jazz mode, and I would file that in this category.  I wish they would of busted out a few jazz tunes (other than Magilla) in later years from time to time just for fun.   It worked on 10/30/98 and I think it could've worked a few other times as well, but I'm just a guy, what do I know.  But anyway, big ups to the Johhny B. Fishman Jazz Ensemble!

Peaches:  A great excuse for Trey to tear it up, I though this version raged pretty hard.

Bowie:  Alright, I've made up my mind and MTG is the top jam of the show, but this is no slouch of a Bowie either.  I really dig hearing the extra composed part, it really doesn't work and Trey was wise to ax it.  But for those of us that have heard this song hundreds if not thousands of times it's a very cool change up.  I really dig Trey's shredding and squealing at the end of this.  First time played and already it's a monster, amazing! 

Have Mercy:  You guys really don't dig the outro jam on this before whoever it is starts babbling?  I think it's a perfect chill summertime groove, even if it is pretty Dead-ish once again.  I was also impressed by Fish's decent reggae style drumming on this one.  The guy on vocals I thought was alright, he kind of reminded me of Matisyahu!   :-D  I guess this guy was born in the wrong decade, he could've been a star!  Anyway it didn't go on that long and certainly wasn't as monotonous as Jah Roy on Ya Mar from 5-25-88. 

Hood: Was good, Fish kind of botched the Mr. Miner part IMO, but from here on out it was like butter, with the exception of the tape flip.  :wink:  Exceptional version, it doesn't sound like we missed too much of the jam here, but who knows though. 

Sanity: cool, but I missed my favorite riff. 

Skin It Back:  I love this tune, it kind of sounds like Trey is teasing DEG again at the end and then it promptly falls apart, oh well.

Icculus:  :banana:

Alumni:  I dug without the Letter to Jimmy Page segment, it gave Trey a little room to improvise some nice and tasty blues licks. 

I'll give the set a B+, great Bowie and Hood, a beautiful laid back jam in Have Mercy and solid versions of the other tunes.  Overall I give the show an A-, but if handicapped by taking into account that these guys were still college students I'd probably give it an A+.  Either way a classic IMO. (duh!) 

Like I said before there's something about the laid back vibe and slow tempos of these early shows that makes for perfect listening on those days where it's so hot you can barely move, and there's certainly been no shortage of those in NW lately.  Pop one of these on, grab you're favorite frosty beverage and you're ready for a prime chill session!

I also really dig listening to shows like this from a historical perspective, the feeling of traveling back in time and seeing the birth of ideas that would later come to fruition is the coolest!

Anyway, glad you guys enjoyed it, especially Jedi and the rest of you guys that listen to shows from this era infrequently. 

Thanks to everybody involved in this kick ass club, especially birdman for the idea!    :clap:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.