News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd 4 - 5 - Derek and the Dominoes - Layla and other... v 14 - Talking Heads - Re

Started by UncleEbinezer, April 01, 2012, 12:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: bvaz on April 03, 2012, 08:18:03 PM
I have no idea how remain in light got this far and how it is winning.
It was on my list but it is not a top 8 album and should not be in the final 4 by any means.

100% agreed, well except that it didn't even make my list since I went with Fear of Music for #20.

In any event, I voted for it here.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

gah

Quote from: slslbs on April 03, 2012, 06:40:29 PM
MJ beating the Beatles and Dylan
PF beating the Abbey Road

and now this.

I'm really starting to get pissed off
:samurai:   :samurai:   :samurai:

I'm loving it. It's insanity! Any given day! All that nonsense. It's anybodys game!  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mbw

There aren't many other "great" musicians that I could give two shits less about than  Eric Clapton.

rowjimmy

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on April 03, 2012, 10:42:56 PM
There aren't many other "great" musicians that I could give two shits less about than  Eric Clapton.

Clapton has done a lot of lame shit but this ain't that.

This is seriously top-five material for me.  One of the greatest collections of songs and playin ever.

Thy Byrne album up against it doesn't rate in my top fifty.

Yours guys are all favoring this because Phish played it.

Lifeboy

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 03, 2012, 11:03:09 PM

funny cuuuzzz it's probably true...

But I absolutely LOVE RIL. I had it on cassette as a young lad and used to dance to it when my dad played it around the house.

That was before I had even heard of teh phishes.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

mbw

Lifeboy

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on April 03, 2012, 11:37:55 PM

Weird, I knew they had played Layla, but I had no idea that dude sat in with the band.

I also have no idea who Seth Yacavone is...
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

WhatstheUse?

I completely agree.
Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 04, 2012, 03:35:04 AM

I completely agree.

If you don't think the guitar interplay on the Layla record is among the best dual guitar performances ever then you fail at music.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 04, 2012, 05:17:51 AM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 04, 2012, 03:35:04 AM

I completely agree.

If you don't think the guitar interplay on the Layla record is among the best dual guitar performances ever then you fail at music.
And then when you're done listening to Layla, all you type 2 jam fans need to listen to some Cream. Go beyond Crossroads and Sunshine of Your Love. They jamming like you wouldn't believe in 1966.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

susep

meh, I've never been a big Clapton fan nor a big Duane fan.  I do recognize the importance of both however their playing has never left me dumbfounded or amazed.  I actually listened to the D&TD album earlier in this tourney and it kinda bored me sans Layla.  RIL however,  "take a look at these hands..."   :-D

rowjimmy

Quote from: susep on April 04, 2012, 01:23:14 PM

meh, I've never been a big Clapton fan nor a big Duane fan.  I do recognize the importance of both however their playing has never left me dumbfounded or amazed.  I actually listened to the D&TD album earlier in this tourney and it kinda bored me sans Layla.  RIL however,  "take a look at these hands..."   :-D

Nothing personal*, but, based on other posts and reviews from you, I've already determined that your taste in music makes zero sense to me. So... I'm not too shocked.

eta:
*Of course it's personal. What a stupid phrase. What I really mean, is "I don't mean it as an insult".

susep

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 04, 2012, 01:40:43 PM

Nothing personal*, but, based on other posts and reviews from you, I've already determined that your taste in music makes zero sense to me. So... I'm not too shocked.

eta:
*Of course it's personal. What a stupid phrase. What I really mean, is "I don't mean it as an insult".

no worries. 

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 04, 2012, 01:40:43 PM

eta:

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Also stupid, "No offense but. . . " and "I'm not trying to be a jerk/dick/asshole but. . . " said phrases are always followed by an offense or jerky/dickish/assholey behavior.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.