News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

State your politics please...

Started by sophist, May 01, 2006, 04:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

the colbert thread inspired me to see who believes what...
so I'll start, i'm a libertarian for the most part.  I dispise big government, and big corporations.  I don't like the concept of welfare, but i find that pure "capitalism" is inhumane.  We should care for our fellow citizens, but I think it should be private (not organized by the government).  I'm for the death penalty, I'm pro-choice, I want to legalize all drugs and tax the hell out of them.  Homosexuals have the right to marry. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

August

dont forget to include your take on sex and why your religion is better
than everyone else's.
a

jonyem

Oh, I'd classify myself as a Bleeding Heart Liberal.

Won't list religion as I don't practice, waste of pre-afterlife is you ask me!

fauxpaxfauxreal

I'm a satanic anarchist with possible apocolyptic leanings.

Your Friend in Christ,
Faux Pax.

sophist

i'm agnostic  :wink: so all religions are the same.  As for the sex: i posted  "Homosexuals have the right to marry." in the original post. 

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 01, 2006, 04:27:00 PM
I'm a satanic anarchist with possible apocolyptic leanings.

Your Friend in Christ,
Faux Pax.
we call that Neitsche in philosophy
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

August

Quote from: phan003 on May 01, 2006, 04:28:30 PM
As for the sex: i posted  "Homosexuals have the right to marry." in the original post. 

oh... i see. your wording was tricky.thats cool.more power to you
a

sophist

i think you mistook me for a "social" conservative", i.e. religious right.  I'm all about the constitution and the power of the people.  I believe in individual rights, and privacy (what a indvidual chooses to do in the privacy of their own home is only their business).  I dispise all of the gay marriage bans.  I'm a heterosexual, but I fully support the gay movements.  Its all about equality of rights.

August

i know, man.
just breaking your shoes!
a

Hicks

Liberal West Coast Jew here, you know just your typical potential antichrist!
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

wouldnt be the paug if you werent busting my chops  :-)

jephrey

I haven't really aligned myself with any party...  If I had to name something, it'd be a Schwarzenegger Republican.  Not to the extreme, but fiscal responsibility + social liberalism.

I don't mind gay marriage, but if my wife dies and gay marriage is legal, I'm marrying a dude, we're going to party and get mad chicks, but also be able to share health benefits!  That's the main implication of gay marriage.  Married rights.  What the repubs are scared of is what's next?  In-family marriage?  Getting married to an animal.  Far reaches, but technically...  Then you could marry your mom or dad and be able to provide them health care with your benefits when they are old (I think you should be able to provide your parents health care when they're old anyhow).  I know it's not totally the same with a gay couple, but there are some undeniable parallels.  I suppose I believe that any marriage shouldn't be state-sponsored, and you should be able to provide health insurance to any dependant or "Partner".  Partner being defined as any one or more humans that you share a single primary address with.  I can expound on this if need be.

I don't really have a specific religion, but IMO, religion is a good thing, and no religion is not a bad thing.  I don't think it's a big deal to have the 10 commandments in a courthouse, nor do I think "Under God" should be removed from the pledge (It's tradition, maybe not since the beginning, but it's a tradition).  It's kinda shitty that every time a teacher may explain what a holiday is about, they run the risk of some idiot kid's parents coming in asking why they were being taught a religion.  (Being taught about a religion is not being taught a religion)  I do think that teachers should be fair and give each religion a mention however.  It seems that usually it's because an atheist doesn't want to hear about christianity.

Abortion...  It's delicate.  I think a majority of people agree that if it threatens a mother's life, then she should be able to decide.  I think that the issue is on where the cutoff is.  Some believe that it's upon seeding the egg, some say it's at birth, but I think a majority say it's somewhere in between.  My personal view is that it's at the developmental stage "somewhere" around 3 months.  After that, I think abortion shouldn't be allowed (unless having the child is life-threatening of course).  This does open the door for crooked doctors to lie to get some abortion business, but they'd probably profit more from the birth.  I think that women under a certain age (IMO 16)should have to have their parents notified, however their parents wouldn't be able to be part of the decision-making process.

Oil + environment...  alaska isn't going to solve the problem.  We didn't go to Iraq for oil.  When Iraq is producing 100% again, the demand will still be greater than the supply.  The only way out is alternatives.  My idea is that there's so much water in the sea, and the moon's gravity can cause high and low tide, so I think we should use moon power for home electricity and really try to get solar working stronger.  Longer life batteries and ultra-capacitors are also a way to go.  I have also has thoughts of totally re-vamping transportation...  Like you don't buy a car, you buy a pod...  You get inside, type where you want to go, and it takes you there, all pods controlled by a super computer with many backups.  I don't really look at fuel efficiency when I think about the car I want (BMW M5), but I'm proud that I don't want something off the charts.  I'm actually starting to carpool 2 days a week.  Less traffic, less polution, less demand for gas. I haven't really thought about the gov's place in all of this.

Finally drugs...  I also like the idea of letting them in.  They'll more likely be clean so they'll be safer.  It'll alleviate strains on the police force.  There will be places to do them in a "Safer" environment.  And when taxed the shit out of, they'll help financially.

there's more.  I'm pooped.  BTW, I'm not totally rigid in my views.  They do sway with new information and when others bring up stuff that I may not have thought of.

So those are my views off the top.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

mattstick

Quote from: jephrey on May 01, 2006, 05:37:41 PM
I don't mind gay marriage, but if my wife dies and gay marriage is legal, I'm marrying a dude, we're going to party and get mad chicks, but also be able to share health benefits!  That's the main implication of gay marriage.  Married rights.  What the repubs are scared of is what's next?  In-family marriage?  Getting married to an animal.  Far reaches, but technically...  Then you could marry your mom or dad and be able to provide them health care with your benefits when they are old (I think you should be able to provide your parents health care when they're old anyhow).  I know it's not totally the same with a gay couple, but there are some undeniable parallels.  I suppose I believe that any marriage shouldn't be state-sponsored, and you should be able to provide health insurance to any dependant or "Partner".  Partner being defined as any one or more humans that you share a single primary address with.  I can expound on this if need be.

What's to stop me from marrying a like-minded woman and the 2 of us partying and getting laid and getting health benefits?  Same thing, right?  Gay marriage is legal in Canada but I don't see anybody lining up to marry their dog.

I have a few gay friends and they consider marrigae to be sacred.  Period.

Straight people are just as likely to abuse marital benefits as gay people - this is not a good or even valid argument against Gay Marriage.  There are no good or valid arguments against Gay Marriage, only fear and stereotypes.

jedifunk

i will be abstaining from any political conversations that may arise... mainly because politics are too personal for too many people.  i feel the way i feel, same as you feel the way you feel... ie fall 97 is the best tour ever!

besides i dont have an opinion :roll:
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: jedifunk on May 01, 2006, 05:48:46 PM
i will be abstaining from any political conversations that may arise... mainly because politics are too personal for too many people.  i feel the way i feel, same as you feel the way you feel... ie fall 97 is the best tour ever!

besides i dont have an opinion :roll:

That isn't Fall 95.

jedifunk

as for the marriage/benefits talk... ann & i arent legally married (anyone notice how i alway call her my wife?)... but we've been together long enough to be common law here in MN (not that we care)... and we'll be together for the rest of our lives...  we love each other and thats what matters to us... now, there may come a time when being legally married is beneficial to us, and at that point we'll discuss it...

about the only shitty thing i've encountered about not being married thus far, is that when our son was born i had to sign a ton of BS paperwork to make him "legally" my son... what the fuck is that?  if we were married it would have been automatic.  its obviously automatic for her, so why not for me?  bunch of horse shit if you axe me...
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio