News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/05 - The Gorge - George, WA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by mattstick, August 06, 2011, 02:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Hicks on August 09, 2011, 04:59:22 PM
It's funny how I'm pretty much alone in hating the Farmhouse placement here, I was already thinking the set was headed south and then when Show of Life surfaced that just confirmed it.

You're not alone, I hate the placement. I just meant I was pleasantly surprised. I still think putting it in the heart of the second set is equivalent of playing Joy after Mike's.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mistercharlie

It's funny how I'm pretty much alone in hating the Farmhouse placement here, I was already thinking the set was headed south and then when Show of Life surfaced that just confirmed it.

I'm with you on the placement hate. I felt like it could have gone into Golden Age quite nicely.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Hicks

Quote from: mistercharlie on August 09, 2011, 06:15:21 PM

I'm with you on the placement hate. I felt like it could have gone into Golden Age quite nicely.

I mean if they have to play Farmhouse after Boogie at least have the sense to end Boogie first, that was a segue that should have never been attempted. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mehead

it really is too bad about the placement of Farmhouse because it beautifully played
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Superfreakie

cough; cough; 2nd post; cough; cough

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 06, 2011, 03:09:49 AM
20 minute R&R looks REALLY TASTY. Bet everyone thought they were headed out of the stratosphere after that......then Trey crashed the Millenium Falcon with the single minute album tracks. Baby steps though, baby steps.

But IMO, Farmhouse blows no matter the setting: 1st, 2nd or Encore.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Hicks

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 09, 2011, 07:25:58 PM

cough; cough: 2nd post; cough; cough

20 minute R&R looks REALLY TASTY. Bet everyone thought they were headed out of the stratosphere after that......then Trey crashed the Millenium Falcon with the single minute album tracks. Baby steps though, baby steps.

Well of course SF gets it, I was talking about everyone else.   :wink:

Even if it was well played it doesn't even come close to a version like Oak Mt. 99.

But yeah I'd be fine with never hearing that song again.
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Hicks on August 09, 2011, 07:28:55 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on August 09, 2011, 07:25:58 PM

cough; cough: 2nd post; cough; cough

Well of course SF gets it, I was talking about everyone else.   :wink:

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mistercharlie

Just relistened to the bulk of the second set and Gordo was ON IT from 11 minutes into RnR through the end of Boogie On. Total Gordo H34t! Trey is kinda deep sea diving in the first few minutes of that same time span but drops the whale and lets loose. Totally enjoyed the Claypool-esque effect that Mike uses in the jam leading up to Meatstick. Hell even Meatstick is great. The segue into Boogie isn't pretty, but then the flow picks right back up. Farmhouse still wrecks the funky spaceship though. Also, it sounds like Mike is playing the Suskind bassline at one point during the RnR.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Hicks

Quote from: mistercharlie on August 09, 2011, 07:52:44 PM
Just relistened to the bulk of the second set and Gordo was ON IT from 11 minutes into RnR through the end of Boogie On. Total Gordo H34t! Trey is kinda deep sea diving in the first few minutes of that same time span but drops the whale and lets loose. Totally enjoyed the Claypool-esque effect that Mike uses in the jam leading up to Meatstick. Hell even Meatstick is great. The segue into Boogie isn't pretty, but then the flow picks right back up. Farmhouse still wrecks the funky spaceship though. Also, it sounds like Mike is playing the Suskind bassline at one point during the RnR.

Yeah listening to the Meatstick now, I enjoyed it in person but it is pretty awesome on tape too.

Caravan2001

Quote from: mehead on August 09, 2011, 06:41:19 PM
it really is too bad about the placement of Farmhouse because it beautifully played

placement was a little wack, but it is such an amazing version it's hard for me to hate on it....It was knd of a downer when I was there, but on replay it shines....great version, probably the best I have seen....

gah

Quote from: Caravan2001 on August 09, 2011, 09:18:32 PM
Quote from: mehead on August 09, 2011, 06:41:19 PM

placement was a little wack, but it is such an amazing version it's hard for me to hate on it....It was knd of a downer when I was there, but on replay it shines....great version, probably the best I have seen....

I think it's really well played, and don't even mind the placement...I feel like the crash didn't occur until the show of life just after it.

Agreed with jimbo tho, the rnr thru farmhouse is def the highlight of this show, minus a couple bad segues in there.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Gumbo72203

Yeah, I mean...  Farmhouse is an awkward song, imo.  It can be either dubiously sappy and pathetic, or light-heartedly deep and sincere.  Its really weird. 

I would have been okay with it, because they never play it anymore, and its another song I'd have gotten to hear them play.  But then playing Show of Life after is ehhh 

I mean, thats like if they had done something totally sick, like Mike's Song -> Sneakin' Sally -> Mango > I Am Hydrogen > Reba > Fee -> Weekapaug and then finish the set with Wading in the Velvet Sea, Show of Life > Friday and encoring with Spread it Round -> Secret Smile.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

natronzero

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 10, 2011, 11:33:18 AM
I mean, thats like if they had done something totally sick, like Mike's Song -> Sneakin' Sally -> Mango > I Am Hydrogen > Reba > Fee -> Weekapaug and then finish the set with Wading in the Velvet Sea, Show of Life > Friday and encoring with Spread it Round -> Secret Smile.

Yep, that's exactly what it's like.
:roll:
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

VDB

I finally listened to this Rock and Roll and damn that's some hot shit. Deep stuff, totally legit.  And a high-quality segue into Meatstick taboot.
Is this still Wombat?

Mr. Natural

Quote from: bvaz on August 09, 2011, 04:35:32 PM
it's funny because I hated the transition to boogie on.  one of my biggest faults with shows lately in the poor transitions which makes shows for me.

it is funny how everyone's tastes are different.  from reading threads, you gain respect for so many people's opinions on music and then it they could be so different from your own.  it what makes phish phish I guess.
I was on the floor, Fish-side, and when they dropped into BOOGIE the whole crowd went nuts.  :rockout: Sometimes, I view Phish as a radio playing the right songs for the evening, even if those songs aren't theirs or don't get stretched into weird spaces. We all had some boogie in us and we all let it out at the same time, so I thought that felt pretty cool.
And when I say 'whole crowd,' I mean 'a bunch of people around me, and then my imagination fired off.'
But you're right, it didn't feel like a transition as much as the four of them all starting it at the same time. I should go back and re-check it out.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit