News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Show Attended?

Started by cactusfan, November 03, 2006, 01:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

anthrax

Quote from: mbw on June 24, 2018, 09:35:20 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on June 24, 2018, 08:25:09 PM
Quote from: anthrax on June 24, 2018, 07:18:41 PM
dead and co
6/23/18
alpine valley

https://i.giphy.com/media/WgO1PNJdzqrpgLbkHj/giphy.webp

That bad?

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Get off his giant lawn.

not bad at all.  it was a great day.  good to get back to alpine after a 3 year personal hiatus and the staff weren't assholes.  music was good.  that gif was from the 2nd set when bobby was having mic problems.  it was hilarious!

sls.stormyrider

busy week
7/07 and 7/08 Wheels of Soul: TTB, openers Marcus King Band, Drive byTruckers

7/12 Neil Young solo acoustic

TTB was great. Each show had a different feel, only 2 repeats. Highlights of Saturday were Tell the Truth, Idle Wind with Sahib Teri Bondi jam, and The Storm > Whipping Post. Sundays highlights were Anyday with Blue Sky jam, Shame with Afro Blue jam, and Little Martha > Midnight in Harlem

Marcus King is the real deal. They only played 1/2 hour each night, both sets were different. I could have heard more

Drive By Truckers was meh. The second night we just sat outside and grabbed some drinks and a sandwich

Neil Young was - Neil Young. If you read his book you could have predicted how the show would go. He had about 5 acoustic guitars, an electric, 2 grand pianos, 1 upright piano, an organ, a banjo, a ukelele, and several harps. He would walk around in between songs, look at his instruments, and then decide what to do. Sometimes he would strum a bit, then put the guitar down and go to another one.  In between he would sip on a beer and tell stories. Total stream of consciousness. In the beginning, people were screaming songs, and he said yea, I'll get to it. last night (also in Boston) I played the requests from Detroit. People kept on shouting requests and he would say - OK, that's another I won't do tonight. After a while, when someone screamed out a song someone else would yell out "Shutup!!!"

His voice is still the same. He played for about 1:45. Highlights - On the Way Home, Long May You Run, After the Goldrush (organ), Ohio (on electric), Needle and the Damage Done, Tonight's the Night (piano) adn a few others I can't even remember at this point. A true living legend

ETA - found Neil's set list

QuoteOn the Way Home 
Long May You Run 
Homefires
My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue) 
Already One 
Only Love Can Break Your Heart
Mellow My Mind
Ohio 
There's a World
Horseshoe Man 
Are You Ready for the Country?
After the Gold Rush
Speakin' Out
Tonight's the Night
Angry World
Love and War
Peaceful Valley Boulevard
Out on the Weekend
The Needle and the Damage Done
Heart of Gold
ENCORE
Tumbleweed
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mehead

Quote from: slslbs on July 13, 2018, 11:08:59 AM
busy week

TTB was great. Each show had a different feel, only 2 repeats. Highlights of Saturday were Tell the Truth, Idle Wind with Sahib Teri Bondi jam, and The Storm > Whipping Post. Sundays highlights were Anyday with Blue Sky jam, Shame with Afro Blue jam, and Little Martha > Midnight in Harlem

Marcus King is the real deal. They only played 1/2 hour each night, both sets were different. I could have heard more

Drive By Truckers was meh. The second night we just sat outside and grabbed some drinks and a sandwich

Neil Young was - Neil Young. If you read his book you could have predicted how the show would go. He had about 5 acoustic guitars, an electric, 2 grand pianos, 1 upright piano, an organ, a banjo, a ukelele, and several harps. He would walk around in between songs, look at his instruments, and then decide what to do. Sometimes he would strum a bit, then put the guitar down and go to another one.  In between he would sip on a beer and tell stories. Total stream of consciousness. In the beginning, people were screaming songs, and he said yea, I'll get to it. last night (also in Boston) I played the requests from Detroit. People kept on shouting requests and he would say - OK, that's another I won't do tonight. After a while, when someone screamed out a song someone else would yell out "Shutup!!!"

His voice is still the same. He played for about 1:45. Highlights - On the Way Home, Long May You Run, After the Goldrush (organ), Ohio (on electric), Needle and the Damage Done, adn a few others I can't even remember at this point. A true living legend

I was reading a couple of articles about the Detroit show with people yelling out requests and that Neil was far from being of a fan of that.

Nice to know about the TTB show and what to kind of expect from Marcus King and Truckers. I'm seeing them tomorrow night at The Fox.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

gah

yeah, i saw the wheels of soul tour stop at wolf trap (beautiful venue) wednesday this week.

my assessment follows sls's

marcus king...the real deal, get there early to check him out, only a 30 min slot
dbt - meh, good chance to grab some food and hang, although they got a full 60 min set
ttb - faaaaaaaantastic. and always getting better.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

danje

Quote from: slslbs on July 13, 2018, 11:08:59 AM
busy week

His voice is still the same. He played for about 1:45. Highlights - On the Way Home, Long May You Run, After the Goldrush (organ), Ohio (on electric), Needle and the Damage Done, Tonight's the Night (piano) adn a few others I can't even remember at this point. A true living legend

ETA - found Neil's set list

QuoteOn the Way Home 
Long May You Run 
Homefires
My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue) 
Already One 
Only Love Can Break Your Heart
Mellow My Mind
Ohio 
There's a World
Horseshoe Man 
Are You Ready for the Country?
After the Gold Rush
Speakin' Out
Tonight's the Night
Angry World
Love and War
Peaceful Valley Boulevard
Out on the Weekend
The Needle and the Damage Done
Heart of Gold
ENCORE
Tumbleweed

I was at this Neil show as well. Highlights for me were Ohio and Love and War. The opener, William Prince was really great too.

Buffalo Budd

So I caught the War on Drugs with Alvvays opening on Wednesday night in Halifax.
Alvvays were a major meh but I may have been in the wrong frame of mind for their set after popping a bunch of boomers. They just seemed to be going through the motions, no energy whatsoever.
The War on Drugs came on just as it was getting dark with a thick fog overhead, which totally added to the light show. They absolutely killed it. Granduciel was incredible and really blew me away. Highlight of the night was the Neil tribute to close the show. No encore was a bit of a bummer but I think there was a strict curfew since it was outside and in the heart of downtown Halifax.

Setlist:
Brothers
Pain
An Ocean in Between the Waves
Strangest Thing
Arms Like Boulders
Burning
Eyes to the Wind
Red Eyes
Lost in the Dream
Holding On
Under the Pressure
Like a Hurricane
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mehead

Quote from: gah on July 14, 2018, 12:32:56 PM
yeah, i saw the wheels of soul tour stop at wolf trap (beautiful venue) wednesday this week.

marcus king...the real deal, get there early to check him out, only a 30 min slot
dbt - meh, good chance to grab some food and hang, although they got a full 60 min set

Went to Saturday's show at The Fox and agree w/ the both of you regarding MKB and DBT. DBT was fine but a full hour set felt waaaayyyy too long.

TTB was great as always. Highlights were Leaving Trunk, Lord Protect My Child (not sure I've heard anyone cover this Dylan tune before), Midnight in Harlem, Down In the Flood and then to close the set Jimmy Herring came out for a 20 minute Elizabeth Reed. That was killer, obviously. 

On a side note, I can't remember the last show I was at where there was so much talking. All around me for the entire night. It was insane. It was also kind of funny to watch people trying to decide whether they should sit or stand. Because the crowd for TTB shows are generally older, they all sit but once that first group of younger folk stand up it just turned into a domino effect. Really, most people wanted to sit but couldn't.

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

rowjimmy

Gonna need to hear that Liz Reed.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Caravan2001

Quote from: mehead on July 16, 2018, 08:41:19 AM
Quote from: gah on July 14, 2018, 12:32:56 PM

Went to Saturday's show at The Fox and agree w/ the both of you regarding MKB and DBT. DBT was fine but a full hour set felt waaaayyyy too long.

TTB was great as always. Highlights were Leaving Trunk, Lord Protect My Child (not sure I've heard anyone cover this Dylan tune before), Midnight in Harlem, Down In the Flood and then to close the set Jimmy Herring came out for a 20 minute Elizabeth Reed. That was killer, obviously. 

On a side note, I can't remember the last show I was at where there was so much talking. All around me for the entire night. It was insane. It was also kind of funny to watch people trying to decide whether they should sit or stand. Because the crowd for TTB shows are generally older, they all sit but once that first group of younger folk stand up it just turned into a domino effect. Really, most people wanted to sit but couldn't.

That's always so awkward.  One time at a Dylan show (in a coliseum) my father in law went down like 20 steps and made an entire section sit down.  He literally got like 50-75 people to sit at once by yelling at them. Not something I would ever do in a million years, but  I was laughing my ass off.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: mehead on July 16, 2018, 08:41:19 AM

Check out Susan's album Hope and Desire. All covers, including that one, a great version of You've Got the Silver (Derek on slide), Sanctuary Band, and on the bonus tracks Mr Charlie.

Funny re -standing. The average age at the Gilford show was significantly higher than most I've been to, Mansfield was mixed. We were in the 2nd section back in the Pav and were among the very few standing in our section. At first we felt a little self conscious, but then it was fuck it, we wanted to dance and have fun.

Everyone was up at Mansfield

and that Liz Reed with Herring is great!
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

shoreline99

Pixies / Weezer
Northwell Health at Jones Beach Theater, Wantagh NY (one of the worst theater names ever, btw)
7/18/2018

Pixies Set (8:00 Start)
Gouge Away
U-Mass
Bone Machine
Caribou
Velouria
Snakes
Where Is My Mind?
Gigantic
Monkey Gone to Heaven
Head Carrier
Um Chagga Lagga
Isla de Encanta
Tame
Head On
Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf)
All the Saints
Cactus
Vamos
Set end 9:20

Weezer Set (9:40 Start)
Buddy Holly
Beverly Hills
Pork and Beans
Undone - The Sweater Song
Hash Pipe
Perfect Situation
My Name Is Jonas
El Scorcho
In the Garage
(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To
Happy Together (with a verse of Green Day's "Longview")
Keep Fishin' (Brian Bell on vocals, Rivers came out into the crowd in a 'boat' dressed like a boat captain)
Island in the Sun (Rivers solo, from the boat)
Take On Me (Rivers solo, from the boat)
Burndt Jamb
Pink Triangle (Rivers changed this on the fly from whatever was on the original setlist)
Feels Like Summer
Africa
E:
The Good Life
Say It Ain't So (with a verse of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid)
Show end 10:58 (Hard curfew at 11 PM)

Show notes:
As I said to MBW last night, the security lines at this venue suck ass. LiveNation can kiss it. Took over a half hour to get into the venue from the lot - no separate bag check line, lackadaisical security. Missed the first two Pixies songs, came in during Bone Machine.

Pixies played a great set, if a bit up and down, but they were playing to a 2/3 empty arena until halfway through their set due to the backup at the gates. Always a fun band to see live, they're still rocking almost 30 years after the first time I saw them.

Weezer crushed it, they were awesome. Perfect band for a summer night at JB, they were having fun and the boat gag was perfect for the venue - made it more intimate and had the whole arena singing along. Great time, but that 7am meeting came awful early today.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

mangohands

just saw dramarama on the boardwalk in belmar new jersey

alcoholandcoffeebeans

all the feels last night.
what a great show.
dance party, central.
this look Thom has going? it's hot.

such a great demeanor from the band last night... thanks, Radiohead. I needed that.

Radiohead
U.S. Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH, USA  
Tour: A Moon Shaped Pool

Sound check: 'Bloom', 'Myxomatosis', 'The Numbers', 'Separator', 'Exit Music (for a film)', 'Optimistic', 'Reckoner', 'Idioteque', 'Decks Dark', 'Talk Show Host' and 'Dollars and Cents'.

Daydreaming
Desert Island Disk
Ful Stop
2 + 2 = 5
Myxomatosis
Kid A 
All I Need
Videotape 
Lucky 
Bloom
Everything in Its Right Place
Lotus Flower
Reckoner
The National Anthem
Idioteque 
A Wolf at the Door 
How to Disappear Completely

Encore 1:

Decks Dark
The Gloaming
Talk Show Host 
There There
No Surprises

Encore 2:

The Bends
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Karma Police  (With Thom acoustic outro + crowd sing-along afterwards)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫