News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Solo: A Star Wars Story discussion

Started by VDB, June 10, 2018, 01:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Come on, you nerds, no thread on this yet?

I did myself the favor of going into this with rock-bottom expectations. As such, I came out having mostly enjoyed it. It generally had the right attitude and it explored some new tropes and motifs for the franchise. We got a downtown car chase, a daring train heist, Old West standoffs, Woody being Woody, and other fun stuff.

The film did start to drag a bit into the second half and I had confusions about pacing. And there were plot and character elements that didn't add up for me. But it was easy to get right past those since I wasn't planning on liking any of it anyhow.

So there ya go. My new formula for liking a Star Wars film.
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

I loved it. So fun.
Great action and groovy character business.
Sequel?

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

kellerb

anyone else catch Wicket (i.e. Warwick Davis) in one of the later battles?
Also, the Cape room on the Falcon cracked me up.

Hicks

Quote from: kellerb on June 11, 2018, 10:15:59 AM
anyone else catch Wicket (i.e. Warwick Davis) in one of the later battles?
Also, the Cape room on the Falcon cracked me up.

Yep, apparently he was playing the same character we saw in the pod race scene in Episode I.

Cool that they gave him a line too, maybe his first in English in a Star Wars movie? 

In all honesty, I thought it was fun. I don't know that we really learned a whole lot about Han as a person, but it definitely kept the action going for the most part and was a solid entry in the series.  It certainly was not the disaster that I thought might be in the works once they fired the directors.

Woody is always fun to watch and Donald Glover killed it with the Billy Dee impression. Emilia Clarke is one of the hottest women on the planet IMO, so no problems there. I've enjoyed Paul Bettany as The Vision in the MCU, so I liked seeing him play the villain here.   

Tons of callbacks/references tucked in there, most of which were pretty funny, "mining colonies are the worst", etc. 

Really hoping they make the movie based around the surprise cameo at the end that they set up. And yeah, more Emilia Clarke.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Warwick Davis has played a large part in this series and it was nice to see him without a mask.

I nearly died when we saw the cape closet.