News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Star Wars: The Last Jedi discussion

Started by VDB, December 17, 2017, 08:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

I don't think anybody is saying film criticism is pointless, but if you offer a critique, be prepared for your criticisms to be critiqued as well.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Of course. The internet is perfectly designed for us to go round and round on that sort of thing with glee.
Is this still Wombat?

cactusfan

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 02, 2018, 08:25:44 AM
For those of you who don't Twitter, I'm going to share with you a smart thread of reasonable relevance.
Here's the link to the first tweet: https://twitter.com/patrickhwillems/status/959204374047350789

Quote from: Patrick Willems @patrickhwillems
Watching The Empire Strikes Back and wow all this comedy with C-3PO while Luke is almost dying is so out of place. Irvin Kershner ruined Star Wars.

Ugh and now Han and Leia are basically in a romantic comedy. Get this corny "humor" out of Star Wars.

Luke has telekinesis now?? Way to break the whole mythology.

So that giant asteroid worm can breathe in space? It should've died in seconds. Good to know this movie doesn't care about physics AT ALL.

Jesus I'm waiting for Luke to find the badass Jedi master and there's just these endless scenes of a dumb muppet stealing his food. Did he land on fucking Sesame Street?

Wait, Darth Vader, ultimate badass villain, is just a lackey to some crusty old dude? Does this old dude even have a name?? Where did he come from?

How are these TIE Fighters dropping bombs when THERE'S NO GRAVITY IN SPACE?? ?? ??

My boy Han Solo FINALLY gets some action and then it's ruined with more 3PO comedy like it's suddenly a god damn Inspector Clouseau movie

Luke is on some kind of vision quest in a haunted cave? How many times can one movie break its own mythology?

Oh sure you're telling me a Star Destroyer has no cameras or anything to detect a whole spaceship just sitting on its surface? No one's gonna look out a damn window and see it?

What's with the dumb subplot where Vader keeps murdering his admirals? The Imperial army is suddenly a wacky comedy routine and they expect us to take them seriously?

Isn't this series supposed to be about a war? This whole movie is about hanging out in a swamp or going on a road trip. What's the whole Rebel army doing? Shouldn't they be trying to, like, win?

Vader can just deflect blaster shots with his hand?? Why does he even need a lightsaber? Are they just making up new powers as they go?

And now Luke can just HEAR his friends from across the galaxy? So the Force is basically a psychic radio?

Yoda: "Don't go, it's a trap."
Luke: "I'm gonna go."
Leia: "Luke stop it's a trap!"
Luke: *keeps going*

How do they expect us to root for a protagonist this stupid? All suspension of disbelief: gone

Two days of training and Luke is suddenly a better fighter than Ben Kenobi #lackofconsistency

Wow so that movie went nowhere, they got rid of the best character, and the mythology makes no sense now.

Fuck Irvin Kershner and Lawrence Kasdan.

Please my petition to have The Empire Strikes Back removed from canon.

Donate to my Patreon.

You can play this game with anything you want, the "let's take any story and describe it all stupid-like so we can pretend any criticism levelled against something I like doesn't count."

The reason no one has ever said any of that about Empire is because it's never actually occurred to anyone.

The reason people have a boatload of criticisms about Disney's latest worldwide product/film release is because it is riddled with problems.

If you don't agree with the criticims, respond to them. This crap here is not only whataboutism, it's make-believe whataboutism. "But what about the fact that this other movie you like isn't perfect," is utterly feeble and nonsensical a response as it is, but changing it to, "But what about how I can make up pretend criticism about a movie everyone loves" is just sad.

rowjimmy

A little angry about a joke.

"utterly feeble and nonsensical"?

lol

Hicks

Quote from: Rian Johnson
It wasn't coming into it and thinking, 'Okay, they're expecting this. Let's have him toss the lightsaber. Ha, ha, ha.' The reason he did that was because I can't imagine any other honest reaction from him to that moment.

...So, that leads you down a really specific path in terms of where his head is at. And if he's done that and if he's made this huge Herculean effort to pull himself out of the fight, to hide in, like he says, 'The most unfindable place in the galaxy,' it took an entire movie for the most heroic, smartest people in the galaxy to even find him, he's put himself away.

Then some kid shows up that he doesn't know and shoves this thing that is everything that he has made this huge effort to step away from into his face with this look in her eyes of expectation like, 'Here you go,' and what is he going to do? Take it and say, 'Great. Let's go save the galaxy.' He's made this choice. He's there for a reason. I knew it was going to be shocking, but I did it because it felt like, obviously it's a dramatic expression of it, but it's an expression of honestly the way that he is going to react to that moment.

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

I finally watched this movie again.

As parody I love it.
Is this still Wombat?

westcider

Quote from: VDB on June 17, 2018, 01:57:38 PM
I finally watched this movie again.

As parody I love it.

It always felt to me like the hateful wives of some huge Star Wars nerds got together and said "we could write a stupid Star Wars movie", then somehow got the contract

rowjimmy

Your dislike of this film is amusing.
Too bad for you guys.

I still love it.

Bobafett

If anybody like David Chang of momofuko and the spicy chicken sandwich, he has a new podcast that has an interview with rian the director that's pretty good.   Of course I like the food podcast side of it, but still..
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

antelope19

Quote from: antelope19 on December 18, 2017, 11:19:00 PM
First- I loved the movie and think it's a fantastic step for the franchise.

That said, this movie is far from perfect.

My issues with the movie-

Leia into space and then coming back
Yoda all of a sudden being like nah, fuck it, Luke. She's good. Those Jedi texts are Boring as fuck anyway.
Luke, in general. Winking at C3PO, dusting his shoulder off, etc.
Complete and total dismissal of Ackbar. "Oh by the way, that guy died".
Plot line of let's just wait until they run out of gas is pretty weak, IMO
Snoke....zero character development and killed way too easily. He clearly has a lot of respect for the history of the dark side(or maybe just Vader?) and is pretty powerful. Cool side note: his ring is made From obsidian cut from below Vader's temple.

Just watched the movie for the third time, first outside of the theaters. It's amazing how much the movie has grown on me. The initial shock of some of things mentioned above has waned and I still feel this movie is great. I'm even more excited for the next movie.

Still need to see Solo.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

rowjimmy

Watched this again the other day. Still good.

tet

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 16, 2018, 08:41:31 AM

Now that it's on Netflix and I have the house to myself on Saturday, I plan on finally giving it a second viewing. I haven't yet decided if I'll fast-forward through the whole 'Finn on the gambling planet' scene, but it is a thought I have. I just felt like that scene did nothing for the movie.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 27, 2018, 06:41:28 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on July 16, 2018, 08:41:31 AM

Now that it's on Netflix and I have the house to myself on Saturday, I plan on finally giving it a second viewing. I haven't yet decided if I'll fast-forward through the whole 'Finn on the gambling planet' scene, but it is a thought I have. I just felt like that scene did nothing for the movie.

Don't.
The message of that sequence is one of the primary themes of the film.