News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

one thought this morning... PAGE WAS ON FIRE!
just my opinion.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

StCarl

Quote from: VA slim on March 11, 2009, 10:47:11 AM
just my opinion.
x2

I must concur with this statement. 
Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:39:37 PM
your overall taste in phish shows perplexes me.

Hicks

just my opinion.

true dat, Page wins MVP for the run.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Play_It_Leo

just my opinion  a fact.

fyp  :-D  This fact stands out the more I listen to these shows. Since when did Page own practically every jam. I love it.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

Ri©h

just my opinion.

Not just your opinion.  Leo takes the cake.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Rich on March 11, 2009, 11:48:46 AM
just my opinion.

Not just your opinion.  Leo takes the cake.

The Chairman was ON :banana: :banana:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

VA $l!m

IMO, the fact that page was obviously killin it, had a lot to do with trey's interaction with him.
i hadnt heard page so into it in the last decade. i believe that with trey out of his "bubble" the interplay was more 'there' with the entire band and especially page, than it had been since maybe 97/ early 98.
i also thought trey layed back in the pocket more than he had in ages if not ever, which i liked, as well as his refraining from loops and effects which was awesome.
contrary to what some people are saying, i think that they were in fact laying down a foundation for an entirely new "sound". i heard many new approaches and takes on certain sections and jams,  and personally i'm very hopeful and excited about what they were doing musically.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jedifunk

Quote from: VA slim on March 11, 2009, 09:48:46 PM
IMO, the fact that page was obviously killin it, had a lot to do with trey's interaction with him.
i hadnt heard page so into it in the last decade. i believe that with trey out of his "bubble" the interplay was more 'there' with the entire band and especially page, than it had been since maybe 97/ early 98.
i also thought trey layed back in the pocket more than he had in ages if not ever, which i liked, as well as his refraining from loops and effects which was awesome.
contrary to what some people are saying, i think that they were in fact laying down a foundation for an entirely new "sound". i heard many new approaches and takes on certain sections and jams,  and personally i'm very hopeful and excited about what they were doing musically.
:clap:
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

TapHabit

[/quote]

i'm certainly not a hater,

take it for what its worth... especially coming from someone who wasn't there.
[/quote]

Jealousy is a stinky cologne

Casey Lenahan

Quote from: Rich on March 11, 2009, 01:42:20 AM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 11, 2009, 12:24:39 AM
ahhhhhh........

I love how you can hear someone cracking up when they start Fluffhead  :lol:

I will never forget that moment for the rest of my life, I was so damn close and the smile on the 4 of there faces was a mile wide  :-)

HA HA!!!  That was cool as f**k!  Good find, bro.  Isn't it cool that you'll never forget that moment?  I had a similar experience during my first gig. They played Fee and then segued into Maze. That Maze absolutely ripped my head wide open and I will never forget "that moment".

Good times, brah!  +k    :mrgreen:

To me the moments are what its all about :-D, the good playing just comes as a bonus  :-)
I owe Aug $20

Alumni

Quote from: VA slim on March 11, 2009, 09:48:46 PM

Twist came up earlier, and it's probably an example of what you're saying. Compare the start of the Twist jam last weekend (around 2:50) to the Fall '97 LJVMC show (11/23). Everyone's got that one, right? Skip to the start of the jam during that Twist (around 3:45). Last weekend, Trey not only opened space for Mike and Page to fill, he practically forced them to do it. Completely different than 11/23.97.

And it wasn't just that 11/23 was a guitar hero night for Trey. Listen to [picks a random date] 7.10.00. Trey's playing with effects before the last vocal line is over.

Mind you, I'm not exactly criticizing Fall 97 or that Deer Creek Show. I didn't fall on my head since the last time I hung around here :) Just tryin' to point out an example of what slim's describing. 
Cause I got a degree

Play_It_Leo

I mentioned something similar a few pages back. I really enjoyed hearing Mike and Page rock the weekend. I've even had to strain some to figure out what Trey's playing sometimes as I've listened to the shows the last few days. That's definitely never been the case before.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

Gumbo72203

honestly though...   I am so sick and tired of Ghost being played with distortion during the song proper.  Ugh.  How fucking PH. 

I don't get why Trey just can't turn that shit off.  There are some songs that just SHOULDN'T have overdrive...   like Ghost, Mike's, YEM, Hood, Piper (intro), Fluffhead.  I really want to know what the hell Trey's reasoning behind all that is...    like, I can deal with no loops in Ghost (even though thats lame) but when you play it with the tone needed for Chalkdust...  no.

sorry, this is harsh... but I just listened to 12/31/98, and Ghost and Mike's are infinitely better when played with a clean tone. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Ri©h

Those older versions of Ghost are definitely better.  Hopefully Trey will tone it down for you.  Maybe you should write him a letter.  :wink:

susep

me as well although I think a little bit of wha-wha wouldn't have hurt.

indeed, nice perspective.