News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jazzfest 2019, or the all things NOLA thread

Started by PIE-GUY, July 16, 2018, 01:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

heard the Phish rumor too. Would like to get back there this year since I couldnt make it last year!
Heard some rumors of Vida Blue and Duo w/ Mike late nights the first weekend too.

postjack

Quote from: emay on November 16, 2018, 10:17:13 AM
heard the Phish rumor too. Would like to get back there this year since I couldnt make it last year!
Heard some rumors of Vida Blue and Duo w/ Mike late nights the first weekend too.

in addition to those i'm also hearing rumor of Bob Weir and Wolf Bros late night. and string cheese announced three shows for second weekend.

throw in karl d and it's basically an early 00's jazzfest, plus the rolling stones.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

PIE-GUY

Quote from: postjack on November 16, 2018, 04:19:46 PM
Quote from: emay on November 16, 2018, 10:17:13 AM

in addition to those i'm also hearing rumor of Bob Weir and Wolf Bros late night. and string cheese announced three shows for second weekend.

throw in karl d and it's basically an early 00's jazzfest, plus the rolling stones.

If the Stones are doing an extensive tour around that time, it'll be interesting to see just how much Karl can get into this year.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

PIE-GUY

So, this is interesting...

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/local/investigations/tipitinas-could-be-purchased-by-local-funk-band-galactic/289-615536428

Tipitina's could be purchased by local funk band Galactic

Several sources associated with the club have said they hope Galactic buys Tipitina's to keep it alive as a cultural touchstone on the New Orleans live music scene.

New Orleans funk band Galactic has been working on a deal to purchase the fabled Tipitina's music club from its embattled owner, according to several sources close to the negotiations.

The current owner of Tipitina's, Roland Von Kurnatowski, has faced a firestorm of controversy this week after The New Orleans Advocate reported on several lawsuits alleging he bilked investors and stiffed lenders out of more than $2.8 million.

WWL-TV broke the story Friday that Von Kurnatowski was in negotiations to sell the venerable club, which he purchased in 1996. The station also found that Von Kurnatowski's venues, including Tipitina's and the Orpheum Theater, which he has since sold to his partner, had bounced several performance checks to music acts.

Galactic's relationship with Tipitina's dates back to the 1990s, when the band was called Galactic Prophylactic. The group was started by students at Tulane and Loyola universities who ended up settling in the Uptown area around the club, including Stanton Moore, Robert Mercurio, Ben Ellman, Jeff Raines and Rich Vogel. Their mentor Theryl DeClouet became lead vocalist and the band started selling out shows at Tips, especially special marathon appearances that became must-see for music lovers each Lundi Gras, Halloween, Jazz Fest and New Year's.

The band has teamed with R&B, funk and hip-hop luminaries, including Macy Gray, Juvenille, Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews, Big Chief Monk Boudreaux, George Porter Jr. and the brass bands Soul Rebels and Hot 8.

After DeClouet left the band for health reasons in 2002, Galactic played major fundraising shows at Tipitina's for him. Moore and other band members were also heavily involved in the Tipitina's Foundation started by Von Kurnatowski and his wife, Mary, helping teach music to kids in New Orleans.

Several sources associated with the club have said they hope Galactic buys Tipitina's to keep it alive as a cultural touchstone on the New Orleans live music scene. Members of the band declined to confirm that the deal was in the works, but people with direct knowledge of the negotiations said it has been for some time and could be finalized soon.

Von Kurnatowski declined to confirm a deal was imminent or to say if Galactic is involved, but did tell WWL-TV that selling Tips was "an open question."

Sources tell the station that several potential buyers have expressed an interest in purchasing Tipitina's, which opened in 1977 as a place for the legendary Professor Longhair to play during the last three years of his life. The club honors the blues legend with a bust and massive portrait inside the club.

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Caravan2001

Stones tour is supposed to be announced today at 3PM EST. 

PIE-GUY

PIE-GUY

Also, though it is far from a sure thing, my friend who works there says Trey currently has a 3 night hold at the Civic again.

gah

So rumors of Trey at the civic, Mike with the Duo, and Page with Vida Blue? Interesting....and by interesting I mean  :crazy:

PIE-GUY

This seems sketch at best, but it's something...

emay

Khruangbin before Vida Blue!? Holy shit im there

gah

^^^ That has JRAD at Mardi Gras world second weekend, which we know isn't true....fake news!

PIE-GUY

It may be old info - some of it is not happening some is wrong on dates. I just noticed Foundation of Funk with Gary Clark Jr. on there. Would be a great fucking show!

PIE-GUY

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 27, 2018, 02:57:32 PM
Gordo at the Joy on May 3rd confirmed...

https://www.jambase.com/article/mike-gordon-new-orleans-jazz-fest-2019?

I don't know what to make of this. That's a prime JF slot....do I want to spend it with Mike? At the same time if you wait, it'll be sold out. Decisions. I hate having to make them 6 months in advance.