News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jazzfest 2019, or the all things NOLA thread

Started by PIE-GUY, July 16, 2018, 01:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: gah on November 27, 2018, 03:55:52 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 27, 2018, 02:57:32 PM
Gordo at the Joy on May 3rd confirmed...

https://www.jambase.com/article/mike-gordon-new-orleans-jazz-fest-2019?

I don't know what to make of this. That's a prime JF slot....do I want to spend it with Mike? At the same time if you wait, it'll be sold out. Decisions. I hate having to make them 6 months in advance.

I can tell you right now I am not likely going to hit this show.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 27, 2018, 03:58:44 PM

I don't know what to make of this. That's a prime JF slot....do I want to spend it with Mike? At the same time if you wait, it'll be sold out. Decisions. I hate having to make them 6 months in advance.

That's the way I'm leaning, but I don't want to commit one way or the other. I'm still a little pissed JRAD is first weekend. Kind of hoping they sell out, and decide to add in the second weekend. Not likely, but still...hoping.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: gah on November 27, 2018, 04:04:15 PM

That's the way I'm leaning, but I don't want to commit one way or the other. I'm still a little pissed JRAD is first weekend. Kind of hoping they sell out, and decide to add in the second weekend. Not likely, but still...hoping.

Not happening - after JRAD's success at Mardi Gras World last year SCI's mouths started watering - they have booked it 2nd weekend.

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 27, 2018, 04:13:02 PM

Not happening - after JRAD's success at Mardi Gras World last year SCI's mouths started watering - they have booked it 2nd weekend.

fuck string cheese.

emay

Quote from: gah on November 27, 2018, 04:27:23 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 27, 2018, 04:13:02 PM

fuck string cheese.

Sting Cheese announce couple weeks ago

gah

with pigeons playing ping pong?!?!? WTF is going on here?!  :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:

PIE-GUY

Quote from: gah on November 27, 2018, 04:42:36 PM
with pigeons playing ping pong?!?!? WTF is going on here?!  :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:

and you can only purchase the Orpheum ticket as part of a 3-day pass with both nights at MGW. Who's going to 3 nights of Cheese during the 50th Jazzfest??

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 27, 2018, 04:47:57 PM
Quote from: gah on November 27, 2018, 04:42:36 PM

and you can only purchase the Orpheum ticket as part of a 3-day pass with both nights at MGW. Who's going to 3 ANY nights of Cheese during the 50th Jazzfest??

FYP

emay

Agreed. I don't even see them when they play 15 mins from my house

mistercharlie

Quote from: emay on November 27, 2018, 05:18:49 PM

I last saw them in 2005 and there was just too much 'untz' for me.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

gah

Well, full disclosure, I did see them when they played 15 mins from my place, at nTelos Pavilion with YMSB, but it had been a slow summer for me. REALLY! I SWEAR!!! AND it had been about 15 years since I'd last seen them.

But at the 50th JF? No thanks.

Also, just saw announced:

Phil and Terrapin Family Band @ the Joy Theater, April 25 and 26

emay

Quote from: mistercharlie on November 27, 2018, 05:24:20 PM

Last time I saw them in like 2015-2016 I think, they have changed their sound back to the more organic Jam-Grass type but still have a couple untz songs you mentioned from that era. Still not my cup of tea. Esp as a Jazzfest late night.

Looking at hitting the first weekend so would def hit one of those Phil shows if I do.

mistercharlie

Quote from: gah on November 27, 2018, 05:26:24 PM

Well, full disclosure, I did see them when they played 15 mins from my place, at nTelos Pavilion with YMSB, but it had been a slow summer for me. REALLY! I SWEAR!!! AND it had been about 15 years since I'd last seen them.

They were playing with YMSB in '05 when I saw them too. Also 15 minutes from my house at a venue that is now a two minute walk from my office.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

Quote from: emay on November 27, 2018, 05:34:25 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on November 27, 2018, 05:24:20 PM

Last time I saw them in like 2015-2016 I think, they have changed their sound back to the more organic Jam-Grass type but still have a couple untz songs you mentioned from that era. Still not my cup of tea. Esp as a Jazzfest late night.

Looking at hitting the first weekend so would def hit one of those Phil shows if I do.

I liked the earlier sound. I first saw them in '99 on the Summer Sessions tour and really dug them. I would see them almost once a year until 2005, but I didn't like where the sound was going.

PIE-GUY

Apparently the deal is done...

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/entertainment_life/keith_spera/article_ffe6034e-f4ed-11e8-a392-63848bf24aa3.html

Tipitina's bought by members of New Orleans funk-band Galactic, sources say

Tipitina's, one of New Orleans' flagship music clubs, has new owners: the five members of local funk band Galactic.

The musicians bought the club from Roland Von Kurnatowski, the embattled local businessman and real estate developer who has owned it since the 1990s, according to sources with direct knowledge of the sale. The deal reportedly closed Friday afternoon.

The band declined to comment.

A popular New Orleans funk band is negotiating with Tipitina's owner Ronald Von Kurnatowski to buy the popular live music venue in the midst o...
A bohemian alliance of local music fans founded Tipitina's in 1977 as a neighborhood bar devoted to piano wizard Professor Longhair — the club is named after one of his signature songs — and other living legends.

Tip's has sometimes thrived, sometimes barely survived — it closed for more than a year in mid-1980s — during four occasionally turbulent decades. The Neville Brothers, the Meters, the Radiators and Galactic, among many other bands, all cut their teeth at Tipitina's.

Galactic's purchase puts one of the city's best-known clubs in the hands of musicians who have performed there for 20 years. Galactic's New Year's Eve, Mardi Gras and Halloween weekend shows inside the yellow two-story venue at Tchoupitoulas Street and Napoleon Avenue are annual traditions.

The deal with Galactic includes the purchase of the music club as well as the Tipitina's business, according to a source familiar with the transaction. It does not involve a change of control of the non-profit Tipitina's Foundation, which provides musical instruments to local schools and was founded by Von Kurnatowski, the source said.

Von Kurnatowski did not respond to requests for comment.

The sale comes as Von Kurnatowski faces multiple lawsuits related to one of his other business ventures.

Two recent lawsuits filed against Roland Von Kurnatowski, an owner of Tipitina's and the Orpheum Theater, accuse the New Orleans businessman o...
Facing a raft of accusations that he defrauded investors of hundreds of thousands and perhaps millions of dollars, real estate developer and T...
In recent months, according to several bands, Von Kurnatowski has had difficulty paying performers at Tipitina's and the Orpheum Theater, which he redeveloped with a business partner and recently sold.

The Radiators' association with Tipitina's dates back more than 30 years. But the legendary band endured three weeks of delays before finally being paid for three nights of reunion concerts at Tipitina's in January — even though tickets had sold out well in advance, according to Radiators bassist Reggie Scanlan.

As a result, the Radiators decided to perform at the Civic Theatre instead of Tipitina's during the 2019 New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.

Scanlan says he's open to returning to Tipitina's under Galactic's ownership.

Tipitina's "is ground zero for New Orleans music," Scanlan said. "It will be wonderful for it to be back in the hands of people who appreciate what it is and what it has to offer."

Howie Kaplan owns the Howlin' Wolf in the Warehouse District and also manages the Rebirth and Hot 8 brass bands, Big Sam's Funky Nation and Naughty Professor, all of whom have performed at Tiptina's. He believes the Galactic purchase can only help to rebuild the club's goodwill.

"If anyone can put the luster back and take away some of the negativity that's out there, they might be the guys to do that," Kaplan said. "You won't find people that care more about New Orleans music. I can't imagine they would do anything other than take good care of the bands."

Having owned a music club himself for more than 20 years, Kaplan is also well-versed in all the risks the Galactic camp faces.

"I hope they know what they're getting into." Kaplan said. "I wish them the best of luck."